Getting into MTG for the first time, some guidance on my deck?

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
I got this idea as I read a Forbes article about some of the Gatecrash cards... A lot of the cards sound like fun and it seems like a multistrategy idea, but I've no idea how it'll play out. Hoping for some direction!

Edit: Added deck tags. Thanks, morticianjohn.
I got this idea as I read a Forbes article about some of the Gatecrash cards... A lot of the cards sound like fun and it seems like a multistrategy idea, but I've no idea how it'll play out. Hoping for some direction!

I started out by adding the [ deck] [/ deck] tags. Please use these in the future. It seems to be missing something. There are a bunch of cards which care about your opponent having creatures in his/her graveyard but no reliable way of putting cards into your opponent's graveyard other than the 4 mana activation cost of duskmantle guildmage. Overall I think the mana curve is pretty good (it should probably be a bit lower) and the creatures seem to be efficient (for the most part) but it really doesn't capitalize on the abilities of the creatures.
Don't be too smart to have fun
it seems too scattered in my opinion. i strongly encourage people to take out mill cards if the decks purpose isnt to mill

other than that i like that you can steal your opponents creatures with stolen identity, lord of the void, and nightveil specter so i would focus on centering around this theme. maybe add in some clones? and mind control? also soul ransom. playing your opponents cards will be difficult with nightveil specter, so i suggest adding in some chromatic lanterns and thespian stages

~Your either my puppet or my matchstick~

color preferences (1st is fav and so on):

198732583 wrote:
Oh Ajani seems to like Elpheth's milk, meow.
I started out by adding the [ deck] [/ deck] tags. Please use these in the future. It seems to be missing something. There are a bunch of cards which care about your opponent having creatures in his/her graveyard but no reliable way of putting cards into your opponent's graveyard other than the 4 mana activation cost of duskmantle guildmage. Overall I think the mana curve is pretty good (it should probably be a bit lower) and the creatures seem to be efficient (for the most part) but it really doesn't capitalize on the abilities of the creatures.

Thank you for the deck tag hint. I ignorantly thought it would automatically add those in. So, I should basically drop Death's Approach and Duskmantle Guildmage

StatueOfLuberty suggested Clone and Mind Control, and those seem like they'd work with the general idea of controlling my opponent's creatures. Is Soul Ransom still good to add if I drop the other milling cards? I don't really have any enchants to put on opponent creatures, so would it still be worth the roomin my deck?

it seems too scattered in my opinion. i strongly encourage people to take out mill cards if the decks purpose isnt to mill

other than that i like that you can steal your opponents creatures with stolen identity, lord of the void, and nightveil specter so i would focus on centering around this theme. maybe add in some clones? and mind control? also soul ransom. playing your opponents cards will be difficult with nightveil specter, so i suggest adding in some chromatic lanterns and thespian stages

Please remember I'm new, so I might be about to ask a stupid question. I cannot make the connection between your sets of advice. Why would Nightveil Specter be diffiuclt to play, and why would Chromatic Lantern and Thespian's Stage address that problem?
Nightveil Specter can be difficult to play because the removed cards may be colors your deck does not contain. If the removed card is red, but you dont have any source of red mana, it would be nearly impossible for you to play that red card. Thats why the stage and the lantern would be helpful because it would provide you with the colored mana you would need to play that red card (or green or white).
Also, are you trying to keep this Gatecrash cards? because there are other helpful black and blue cards in standard too. And if you dont care to build standard, there are so many possibilities for you. Try cardkingdom.com, you can see all the previous sets and look up cards by color, type, set, etc.
hope this helps
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
Nightveil Specter can be difficult to play because the removed cards may be colors your deck does not contain. If the removed card is red, but you dont have any source of red mana, it would be nearly impossible for you to play that red card. Thats why the stage and the lantern would be helpful because it would provide you with the colored mana you would need to play that red card (or green or white). Also, are you trying to keep this Gatecrash cards? because there are other helpful black and blue cards in standard too. And if you dont care to build standard, there are so many possibilities for you. Try cardkingdom.com, you can see all the previous sets and look up cards by color, type, set, etc. hope this helps

Okay, that makes a lot of sense. I'll work those cards in, and maybe do a test playthrough with a friend before I try to acquire the actual cards. And as far as deck construction goes, I suppose I'm aiming at standard, but I was wanting to keep it as recent as possible, which is why all the cards I posted came from Gatecrash. I don't know how they phase out older sets from play, but I want to build a couple of strong decks now that I can learn with over the coming months. I don't want to fill it with Innistrad cards and then see Innistrad phased away.

Thanks for the website recommendation. I'm going to poke through it now!

Also, what's the best way to acquire cards? Would it be wise to just buy a booster box off of Amazon so I have a large collection of cards to sift through and get ideas from? I know buying boosters isn't a good way to obtain individual cards, but since I don't really know a lot of cards and I'm not too sure what I'm working with, maybe it'd be a good idea to just expose myself to potentialities?  
since the coc of this website disallows us from posting another website type in a magic the gathering search in google or whatever browser you run and it will direct you to a multitutde of sites selling cards
I made some significant changes to the deck I posted. I went out and bought some cards today, saw a few that gave me some ideas, and then I got to this deck. Since I don't have all the pieces, I used some "placeholder" cards to test the deck out, and it seemed pretty effective. Not sure if that's because it's an effective deck or because my opponent had an equally bad deck. 

My goal with this has been something along the lines of going the typical  mill route to get Consuming Aberration as poweful as I can.  I then enchant the Aberration with Dying Wish and sacrifice the Aberration with Undercity Informer.

With awesome discards like the Aberrations ability (which is great, because I can commonly get two on the field pretty easily) and Mind Grind, I haven't had a huge issue in pulling off that combo. In three games, I got it off twice. Another game I nearly made him default lose because I emptied his library, but he pulled off some neat card combos and actually beat me.

So, what changes should be made? I'm kind of uneasy about my lack of creatures. Maybe it's just my friend's playstyle, but he commonly had four creatures out before I even got my first Aberration, and I was holding him off with Killing Glare and Grisly Spectacle. I'm also unsure as to my mana...I seemed to be kind of low sometimes, but I was never actually at a point where I was crippled due to lack of it. Those 4 Dimir Guildgates were pretty helpful. 
When the opponent is playing out creatures faster than you sometimes you need a sweeper type of effect. There are only a handful of mono black sweepers in standard that might fit this list. mutilate is a standard legal option but it will depend on the size of the creatures you opponent is playing.

If you're not worried about standard you could try traumatize, glimpse the unthinkable or mind funeral (if your focus is to win victory because of the mill effect) or jace's phantasm (if you'd rather the mill assist you in playing powerful creatures).
What would be the best removals to make room for Mutilate? I'm having a hard time gauging utility vs. utility.

EDIT: And it doesn't have to be monoblack! It can be blue or black + blue. I haven't had issues with casting my blue cards at all, so.  
What would be the best removals to make room for Mutilate? I'm having a hard time gauging utility vs. utility.

EDIT: And it doesn't have to be monoblack! It can be blue or black + blue. I haven't had issues with casting my blue cards at all, so.  

The problem is that blue doesn't get board sweepers. It can sometimes get bouce effects that are similar such as evacuation but your deck likes putting cards into the opponent's graveyard so I was trying to find a solution that would do that.

A card that I think isn't very good in your list is dying wish. While it can sometimes be a good card because you have to enchant your own creatures there is the huge drawback of you playing this spell targetting your creature and your opponent responding with murder or whatever on your creature. Since dying wish is still on the stack you would lose both cards and not get anything out of it. The other cards in your decklist don't suffer from this kind of drawback so it's easy to say you can cut this card without any issues.

The problem is that blue doesn't get board sweepers. It can sometimes get bouce effects that are similar such as evacuation but your deck likes putting cards into the opponent's graveyard so I was trying to find a solution that would do that.

A card that I think isn't very good in your list is dying wish. While it can sometimes be a good card because you have to enchant your own creatures there is the huge drawback of you playing this spell targetting your creature and your opponent responding with murder or whatever on your creature. Since dying wish is still on the stack you would lose both cards and not get anything out of it. The other cards in your decklist don't suffer from this kind of drawback so it's easy to say you can cut this card without any issues.

Aw, but I like that card. I've been having fun executing that combo as an instant win, and that card is crucial for it. 

Aw, but I like that card. I've been having fun executing that combo as an instant win, and that card is crucial for it. 

If there is one suggestion that I can give to all new players it's "play what you like". For example many people "like" playing battle of wits for a victory. They like it so much that they'll bring that strategy to a tournament even if they know they have a "better" decklist at home. Ultimately if you play the cards you enjoy playing you'll have a better experience out of Magic than you will if you listen to every advanced player on how you should or should not adjust your decklist.

While I think a board sweeper might help your decklist against certain strategies, if you're having fun with your list and winning then there is little need to adjust it.
Sign In to post comments