Questions for playing a wizard

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi,

I'm playing a level 9 optimized control wizard and I have some questions.

1. Do I have to tell my DM what spells (combat powers) I prepare from my spellbook at the end of each extended rest? I have the expanded spellbook feat so sometimes I have three daily powers to choose from during combat. My DM says that I have to tell him every spell I prepare after each extended rest. However, from my point of view, I think doing so would be excessively tedious and unnecessary so long as I do not reuse an expended spellbook power. I understand that it is fair that wizards should not have three daily powers to choose from while everyone only has one to choose from. I was wondering if there was another way around this or if there is a specific rule that states a player must inform the DM about which specific spellbook powers that are prepared after an extended rest. The wizard character class description in the character builder program and Player's Handbook 1 does not specify that you can only have one spell prepared and usable while the others are not prepared or usable. Instead, the "spellbook" section of the wizard class description says that all spells are prepared and implies that the player can choose one of the appropriate level spellbook spells to use. In fact, it states: "You begin knowing two daily spells, one of which you can use on any given day...After an extended rest, you can prepare a number of daily and utility spells according to what you can cast per day for your level. You can't prepare the same spell twice." This does not state that you cannot prepare them all and choose from that selection during combat. For example, my level 1 daily power spells are Sleep, Flaming Sphere and Horrid Sphere. In combat, if I use Sleep then I will not be able to use Flaming Sphere or Horrid Sphere. However, before combat, I would not have told the DM that I only prepared Sleep and not Flaming Sphere or Horrid Sphere.

2. Is there a rule that restricts the number of uses of daily power magic items in combat? As a wizard, I rely heavily on a lot of my magic items for survivability, combat enhancement and utility. My DM says that I can only use one daily power from a magic item once per encounter. For example, I have Shadowdance Cloth Armour +1 and Surfsurge Shoes. In combat, my DM says I cannot use the daily power from Surfsurge Shoes to spend a move action to move more than 3 squares and then use my Shadowdance Cloth Armor +1 daily power to gain total concealment (blocking line of sight) because I triggered the daily power by moving more than 3 squares. I was really depending on stacking the usage of multiple daily power magic items to get out of sticky situations for my squishy wizard.

3. I mentioned that I play an optimized wizard which means that all my knowledge-based skills are extremely high. I take pride in always beating hard DCs for Arcana, Dungeoneering, History, Nature, and Religion skill checks. However, that is the problem. Since I always ace my skill checks by over 10 or more, my DM gets intimidated and confused about what information he should give me while remaining reasonable. For example, my wizard comes across a arcane creature and does an Arcana check to investigate. I ace the DC by a substantial amount. Aside from giving me the monster's statblock to see, what else can the DM tell me without spoiling the campaign? My charater is all about getting useful knowledge for the party to act upon. I feel extremely frustrated when the DM gives me less than an abundance of information, especialy when I roll a crit on a knowledge-based skill check or I know for a fact that I beat the hard DC by more than 10. For background and roleplaying purposes, my wizard is a curious scholar with access to the best education available.

If there are any errattas, please advise and cite the rule for me to look up and also show to my DM. Thanks in advance.
1.  Yes.  Your DM is your interface to the campaign world.  If you don't tell him your character does something significant (like prepared his spells for the day), he hasn't done it.  Sure, a lot can be 'assumed,' so if you usually prepare a certain slate of spells, you might only tell the DM when you deviate from it, for example.  A lot of DMs won't want to be bothered with 'auditing' your character, though, and may well trust you to actually choose spells rather than just use whichever one strikes you as best.  It all comes down to communication, how you and your DM communicate is something between the two of you.

2.  Yes, but it's been overridden by the magic item "rarity" rules in Essentials.  The limit was 1 daily per day, plus one per milestone you pass durring that day, at paragon and epic it went up by one.  There is currently no limit - but most magic items with daily powers are uncommon or rare, so you'll only have them if your DM hands them out.  If your DM lets you make/buy or choose for your 'build' a lot of uncommon or rare items, it would make a lot of sense for him to impose a house rule limitation, like 1 item daily per encounter.

3.  A DC is a target number, whether you 'hit' it exactly, or exceed it by 10 or 20, you've simply succeeded.  There's no need to give /more/ information for a knowledge check just because you beat the DC by a lot, though it's an understandable impulse, and a lot of DMs will come up with something.  A good idea is to add  'interesting' information, maybe about the specific individual.  So if success would normally give you the resistances of a monster, for instance, success "by lots" might also give you some information about that particular monster's recent rampages or past opponents its defeated or something.  An opportunity to add detail and plot hooks, rather than to 'reward' a lucky roll or over-optimized bonus.

Keep in mind that whether you can cite a rule or errata or not, the DM is the final arbiter of what the rules mean, and well within his rights to institute 'house rules.'

Oops, looks like this request tried to create an infinite loop. We do not allow such things here. We are a professional website!

I agree with Tony_Vargas on this.  The limiting of spells/daily powers and of powerful item usage sounds like it is being done to keep the game balanced.  While I mostly play 3.5e I can see what your DM is doing in 4e.  In 3.5e once wizards got to a certain level they were basically a one man show.  They were/are very overpowered, leaving the rest of the non-magic users in the party as more of support characters and canon-fodder since the Wizard could pretty much take on anything by himself.

This would lead the DM to either make encounters that were actually challenging for the wizard, but by doing so possibly kill the rest of the party, or making the challenges at a level the rest of the party could handle, but then the wizard could basically end the battle in a round or 2.

I assume that this is similar in 4e but someone correct me if I'm wrong on that.  Either way, it seems like the DM is limiting things here to maintain a baalance in the game.

Everyone has already given you good advice but though I would mention this.

Mnemonic Staff- lets you switch your powers around as a daily (and + to monster knowledge checks); If you’re worried that you have chosen the wrong powers after a rest I would recommend throwing one of these in your pack. I use swords as an implement on my arcane character but I am always sure to have one of these in case I want to do a quick power switch during combat (Can be helpful if you forgot your fire spells and an ice elements attacks!)

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/1.jpg)

@Tony_Vargas: Thank you for the clarifications and suggestions. You make excellent points and I appreciate them.

1. I understand that it boils down to communication between the DM and the player. For the first 8 levels I have been playing my wizard, my DM never bothered to ask me about which spellbook spells I prepared at the end of an extended rest. All of a sudden, after reaching level 9, he wants me to tell him and I do not think my DM is the auditing type to keep track of each character's details. I find it strange, because I never had an issue with my spellbook until now when I realize that I can only prepare one out of the three spellbook spells before combat. Perhaps my DM distrusts me or thinks that my wizard is getting too powerful. However, I do inform my DM of each and every ritual scroll that I do prepare and he does expect that of me. Nevertheless, I find rituals and spells to be two different worlds. I think it will be very hard for me to get used to constantly inform my DM about which spells I prepare. I'm more comfortable about keeping track of rituals. Can you give me any suggestions on how I can make this easier for myself and my DM?

2. My DM lets the players buy any items regardless of their rarity. My wizard has many "uncommon" items in almost every item slot. My DM also briefly explained that daily power magic item usage is similar to milestones and Action Points. After a milestone, I can use two daily power magic items, correct? Can someone elaborate on how this works exactly? I would like to know, because I want to make use of all my magic items.

3. Good idea about adding interesting information instead of spilling all his beans. I will encourage my DM to do so.

My DM is not the type of person who likes to make and enforce arbitrary houserules. He prefers following the actual rules or abiding by a group decision. Right now, I'm looking for actual rules to support my points.

@ jplay36: I agree with your anaysis about the risk of the wizard being a one-man show. I do not want to be the dick in the group and hog the spotlight. Admittedly, I do get annoying sometimes, but I know when to shut up and let the other players have their fun. The problem for me is, I really like my wizard. I want to play a powerful character that can make significant contributions to the party without breaking the game. Trick is finding the balance where everyone is happy. For the record, the game system is 4e.

@ CliveDauthi: Wow, Mnemonic Staff. That's an awesome item. Thanks for sharing. Is there an orb version of it? My wizard uses orbs and I can't find it in the character builder.

In addition to my initial three questions, I have some more...

4. Aside from daily power magic items, can I use encounter power magic items every encounter along with one daily power magic item? I understand that I can use at-will magic items as many tinmes as I wish, but what about encounter power magic items and using them with daily power magic items?

5. Regarding the wizard's Revitalizing Charm utility level 6 spell, when I use the spell on myself, does it provoke opportunity attacks from an adjacent enemy? Technically, it is a range 5 spell, but I am using it on myself. In addition, I have the Shadowdance Cloth Armor which says that my area and ranged attacks don't provoke opportunity attack. My DM says that the Revitalizing Charm spell does provoke opportunity attack for two reasons. First, the power does not state "personal". I noticed that some spells/powers have the "personal" keyword, but what does that mean? Second, my DM says that my Shadowdance Cloth Armor only prevents opportunity attacks when my wizard uses attack spells/powers. My Revitalizing Charm spell is a utility power and not an attack so my Shadowdance Cloth Armor does not cover that type of ranged ability.

6. When using the Speak with Dead ritual on a dead enemy corpse, does that corpse answer questions truthfully or does the corpse assume the personality of the enemy? The ritual says the DM should use discretion regarding Diplomacy, but what about Insight or the restrictions of the ritual? Personally, I think it is entirely up to DM discretion, but I would like outside opinion.

7. Regarding the Summon Magma Beast wizard daily spell level 5, why does the Intrinsic Nature part of the spell say "creature" when it should say "enemies"? Will the magma beast attack adjacent allies if I do not give it commands before the end of my turn?

I'll be back with more questions. Thanks to anyone in advance for help.
My take on some of these questions.  Just for your info too, some of these questions are probably best answered in the Rules Q&A Forum because they are about specific rules and not necessarily DM/Player issues.  So if you have more specific rules questions you may want to ask them there.
I think it will be very hard for me to get used to constantly inform my DM about which spells I prepare. I'm more comfortable about keeping track of rituals. Can you give me any suggestions on how I can make this easier for myself and my DM?

Get the character builder or make index cards for all your spells.  Then just put the dailies and utilities you have prepared for that day on the table and leave the rest in your deck.  Flip them over when you've used them  Then the DM can see what you have prepared and he can write them down if he doesn't trust you instead of demanding you make a list.  That's meeting him half way at least.  If he doesn't trust you not to cheat, you two have bigger issues.
After a milestone, I can use two daily power magic items, correct? Can someone elaborate on how this works exactly? I would like to know, because I want to make use of all my magic items.

At Heroic tier you start out with one magic item daily power use per day.  At Paragon tier you start out with two.  At Epic tier you start out at three.  At all tiers you gain another use of a magic item daily power when you reach a milestone.  A milestone is normally gained every two encounters or when the DM says so, so check with your DM before simply assuming you reached a milestone.
4. Aside from daily power magic items, can I use encounter power magic items every encounter along with one daily power magic item? I understand that I can use at-will magic items as many tinmes as I wish, but what about encounter power magic items and using them with daily power magic items?

Yes, you can use encounter power magic items every encounter along with any uses of daily magic item daily powers that you have remaining.  Which is why they're cool.  Typically they're not as powerful as the Daily power magic items, but sometimes they are.
5. Regarding the wizard's Revitalizing Charm utility level 6 spell,

I believe your DM is right.  If it's a ranged power, it provokes an opportunity attack.  It doesn't have to be an attack power.  And since you're not using an attack power but a utility, the shadowdance armor does not enter into it.
6. When using the Speak with Dead ritual on a dead enemy corpse, does that corpse answer questions truthfully or does the corpse assume the personality of the enemy? The ritual says the DM should use discretion regarding Diplomacy, but what about Insight or the restrictions of the ritual? Personally, I think it is entirely up to DM discretion, but I would like outside opinion.

Yeah, pretty much DM's interpretation/option, but most of the time if I were DMing I would lean toward telling the truth in almost all cases.  After all, if all you get is lies, the ritual is kind of a waste of resources.  But if the DM wants to feed you some false info and allow you an insight check to determine truthfulness, I think that falls within the purview of the DM's storytelling preogative.
7. Regarding the Summon Magma Beast wizard daily spell level 5, why does the Intrinsic Nature part of the spell say "creature" when it should say "enemies"? Will the magma beast attack adjacent allies if I do not give it commands before the end of my turn?

Yep, that's how I read it.

OD&D, 1E and 2E challenged the player. 3E challenged the character, not the player. Now 4E takes it a step further by challenging a GROUP OF PLAYERS to work together as a TEAM. That's why I love 4E.

"Your ability to summon a horde of celestial superbeings at will is making my ... BMX skills look a bit redundant."

"People treat their lack of imagination as if it's the measure of what's silly. Which is silly." - Noon

"Challenge" is overrated.  "Immersion" is usually just a more pretentious way of saying "having fun playing D&D."

"Falling down is how you grow.  Staying down is how you die.  It's not what happens to you, it's what you do after it happens.”

I don’t think there is an alternative version of it, but you could always ask your DM if you can take it as an orb.

Also you don’t have to use it as an Implement, my mage uses a sword, but just keeps one of these strapped to his back in case he wants a power swap (never channels his powers through it or hits with it) It’s much cooler as just an item with a daily power then an actual implement imo.

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/1.jpg)

Good questions and answers ^^
"Non nobis Domine Sed nomini tuo da gloriam" "I wish for death not because I want to die, but because I seek the war eternal"

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/19.jpg)

@Tony_Vargas: Thank you for the clarifications and suggestions. You make excellent points and I appreciate them.

1. I understand that it boils down to communication between the DM and the player. For the first 8 levels I have been playing my wizard, my DM never bothered to ask me about which spellbook spells I prepared at the end of an extended rest. All of a sudden, after reaching level 9, he wants me to tell him and I do not think my DM is the auditing type to keep track of each character's details. I find it strange, because I never had an issue with my spellbook until now when I realize that I can only prepare one out of the three spellbook spells before combat. Perhaps my DM distrusts me or thinks that my wizard is getting too powerful.

Nod. It's quite possible that he had noticed your wizard was getting a little overpowered (as he might, if he was essentially 'spontaneously casting') and so wants to stay on top of it.  

However, I do inform my DM of each and every ritual scroll that I do prepare and he does expect that of me. Nevertheless, I find rituals and spells to be two different worlds. I think it will be very hard for me to get used to constantly inform my DM about which spells I prepare. I'm more comfortable about keeping track of rituals. Can you give me any suggestions on how I can make this easier for myself and my DM?

If you use the power card sheets from the Character Builder, you can cut out the cards and put them in a 'deck' representing your spellbook.  When you prep your spells, you just pick them out of the deck and set the rest aside.  If your DM wants to know your choices, you just show him the cards.  

2. My DM lets the players buy any items regardless of their rarity. My wizard has many "uncommon" items in almost every item slot. My DM also briefly explained that daily power magic item usage is similar to milestones and Action Points. After a milestone, I can use two daily power magic items, correct? Can someone elaborate on how this works exactly? I would like to know, because I want to make use of all my magic items.

That's the original 4e system.  It's pretty reasonable.  At Heroic level (1-10) you start the day able to use only one of your item dailies, you choose which when you use the daily.  At each 'milestone' you gain another.  

FREX: If you have Shadowfell Gloves, a Staff of the Warmage, and Deathcut armor, you have three items, each with one daily power.  At the start of the day, you could choose to use any one of them.  Say, in the first encounter, you use the gloves.  You can't use the gloves for the rest of the day, since they just have the one item daily.  In the second encounter, you can't use the dailies from the staff or armor, either, because you've hit your 1/day limit.  After the second encounter, you've passed a milestone, so your item daily limit goes up to 2.  On the third encounter, you could use either the staff or the gloves, because you haven't met your new limit of 2 item dailies yet, but you can't use the gloves, because their item daily has been expended.  Say, on the third encounter, you use the staff, it's daily is expended, while it's still a magic implement, you can't use that daily power again that day.  On the fourth encounter, you can't use the armor, either, because you've hit the daily limit of 2.  After the fourth encounter, you'd pass another milestone, and the armor would be useable, if you wanted.  Say on the 5th encounter you use the armor.  All your item dailies are expended.  After a 6th encounter and thus a 3rd milestone, your limit would be up to 4, and only 3 used, but you have no further items with dailies, so it doesn't help you ... unless you happen to find another item with a daily power, of course. 

My DM is not the type of person who likes to make and enforce arbitrary houserules. He prefers following the actual rules or abiding by a group decision. Right now, I'm looking for actual rules to support my points.

Well, if you do point out that the current actual rule is that you can use any number of item dailies, be sure to also point out that it's "illegal" for him to let you make/buy anything but common items.  ;)  

@ jplay36: I agree with your anaysis about the risk of the wizard being a one-man show. I do not want to be the dick in the group and hog the spotlight. Admittedly, I do get annoying sometimes, but I know when to shut up and let the other players have their fun. The problem for me is, I really like my wizard. I want to play a powerful character that can make significant contributions to the party without breaking the game. Trick is finding the balance where everyone is happy. For the record, the game system is 4e.

Most 4e classes can be quite powerful if carefully built and played, and only break the game if you take such 'powergaming' to the extreme (and even then, not /that/ badly).  The wizard's spellbook is one of those features that can be a little swingy, though.  The wizard has some of the best, but also most situational, dailies in the game, so being able to cast one of two or even one of three dailies of each level is a big deal, even with the requirement you pick it at the start of the day.  

4. Aside from daily power magic items, can I use encounter power magic items every encounter along with one daily power magic item?

Yes.

5. Regarding the wizard's Revitalizing Charm utility level 6 spell, when I use the spell on myself, does it provoke opportunity attacks from an adjacent enemy? Technically, it is a range 5 spell, but I am using it on myself. In addition, I have the Shadowdance Cloth Armor which says that my area and ranged attacks don't provoke opportunity attack. My DM says that the Revitalizing Charm spell does provoke opportunity attack for two reasons. First, the power does not state "personal". I noticed that some spells/powers have the "personal" keyword, but what does that mean? Second, my DM says that my Shadowdance Cloth Armor only prevents opportunity attacks when my wizard uses attack spells/powers. My Revitalizing Charm spell is a utility power and not an attack so my Shadowdance Cloth Armor does not cover that type of ranged ability.

Yes, ranged powers provoke, even if they're not attacks.  Powers that are meant to work at range w/o provoking are usually phrased as Close Burst powers that target only one creature (often one ally) in the burst.  And, yes, IMHO, some powers that are 'ranged,' shouldn't be, and, as a DM, I house-rule that they're actually close-burst/one-target or simply 'don't provoke.'

6. When using the Speak with Dead ritual on a dead enemy corpse, does that corpse answer questions truthfully or does the corpse assume the personality of the enemy?

Truthfully, but cryptically is how I remember it, but I've played with many versions of Speak w/Dead over the years... I believe the current versions does not assume a personality, just reveals information known to the creature at the moment it died.  For instance, you could not Speak w/Dead and ask "Do you want to be Raised." 

Yes.  I think part of the idea is that the summoned creature 'breaks the action economy' by attacking (normally a standard action) even when you have used a standard action for something else, thus it represents a danger to your allies, as well, to 'balance' that.  

IMHO, that's not enough, and such spells /are/ broken, even as written.

Oops, looks like this request tried to create an infinite loop. We do not allow such things here. We are a professional website!

..."window.parent.tinyMCE.get('post_content').onLoad.dispatch();" contenteditable="true" />1. I understand that it boils down to communication between the DM and the player. For the first 8 levels I have been playing my wizard, my DM never bothered to ask me about which spellbook spells I prepared at the end of an extended rest. All of a sudden, after reaching level 9, he wants me to tell him and I do not think my DM is the auditing type to keep track of each character's details.

I think it's because he's noticed that you're not preparing spells each day - you're just picking which one you want to use, *when you use it*, and that's wrong.

So, since you HAVE TO choose which single Daily power you're preparing, in advance, and you haven't been doing that?  Your DM is prompting you to do it.

Can you give me any suggestions on how I can make this easier for myself and my DM?

Keep the power cards handy?  Lay 'em out in front of you?

2. My DM lets the players buy any items regardless of their rarity.

That's a bad idea, in general.  Uncommons aren't bad, but Rares can be downright gamebreaking.  On the other hand, if he's just letting you make/buy Uncommons, and he's restricting the Daily Item Powers Per Day, he's just using the old system, and that's not broken.

My wizard has many "uncommon" items in almost every item slot. My DM also briefly explained that daily power magic item usage is similar to milestones and Action Points. After a milestone, I can use two daily power magic items, correct? Can someone elaborate on how this works exactly? I would like to know, because I want to make use of all my magic items.

The OLD system, which your DM appears to still be using, and that I also prefer, gives you:
1) One daily item power use per day per tier.  So, 1 from level 1-10, 2 from level 11-20, 3 from level 21-30.
2) One additional use per milestone.

So, as a level 9 Wizard, you can use one and only one Daily Item Power per day.  After each Milestone, you get an additional use. 

You might HAVE a golf bag full of wands with awesome Dailies, but you can't use them all.  Specifically to prevent the D20-style "golf bag full of wands" problem.

Your DM *may* not be using these rules, and might have instituted a house rule - one magic item daily per encounter - to solve the same problem.  If so:  That's his preprogative, it still fixes the problem, and you shouldn't complain about it because it gives you MORE uses than "One plus one per Milestone" does.
..."window.parent.tinyMCE.get('post_content').onLoad.dispatch();" contenteditable="true" />

Your DM has the actual rules on his side, he's just using the older ones.  And you don't want him to switch to the newer ones, because if he does, you lose all those Uncommon items.

His requests are reasonable.  You should accomodate them.

The problem for me is, I really like my wizard. I want to play a powerful character that can make significant contributions to the party without breaking the game.

That's what a Wizard does, inherently.  You've been getting more than your share of contributions so far, but the newfound restrictions aren't onerous, and they're not unfair, and they don't stop you from contributing.

Wow, Mnemonic Staff. That's an awesome item. Thanks for sharing. Is there an orb version of it? My wizard uses orbs and I can't find it in the character builder.

Nope.  But there's nothing wrong with having a staff *as well as* an orb.
..."window.parent.tinyMCE.get('post_content').onLoad.dispatch();" contenteditable="true" />

There are no restrictions on Encounter magic items the way there are on Daily item powers.

5. Regarding the wizard's Revitalizing Charm utility level 6 spell, when I use the spell on myself, does it provoke opportunity attacks from an adjacent enemy? Technically, it is a range 5 spell, but I am using it on myself.

It's Ranged.  Using a Ranged or Area power provokes Opportunity Attacks.

In addition, I have the Shadowdance Cloth Armor which says that my area and ranged attacks don't provoke opportunity attack. My DM says that the Revitalizing Charm spell does provoke opportunity attack for two reasons. First, the power does not state "personal". I noticed that some spells/powers have the "personal" keyword, but what does that mean? Second, my DM says that my Shadowdance Cloth Armor only prevents opportunity attacks when my wizard uses attack spells/powers. My Revitalizing Charm spell is a utility power and not an attack so my Shadowdance Cloth Armor does not cover that type of ranged ability.

Your DM is correct - even though your Shadowdance Armor makes your *attack* not provoke OAs, it is not an attack.  Since it is not an attack, Shadowdance Armor does not provoke.

"Personal" as a Keyword doesn't mean much of anything, for the record.  It's a tag that goes on powers that can only affect yourself - however, it doesn't change the rules for the power, in any way.  If that power had the Personal keyword, it would still provoke OAs, because it is a Ranged power, and Ranged powers provoke OAs.

As the ritual says, " the spirit has (usually) moved on to another plane and is not present in the body."

You're interrogating an inanimate object.  By default, it answers your questions truthfully, as best it can.  Personality and resistance and skill challenge things are all at the DM's discretion, as the ritual says.

7. Regarding the Summon Magma Beast wizard daily spell level 5, why does the Intrinsic Nature part of the spell say "creature" when it should say "enemies"?

It says "creatures" because it should NOT say "enemies". 

Will the magma beast attack adjacent allies if I do not give it commands before the end of my turn?

Yes.  That's one of the dangers of magma beasts.

The upside to that is that if it only has adjacent enemies, or if the closest creature it can Charge is an enemy, you can get a free attack out of it.   The downside is, it'll hit your allies if you're not careful and don't command it.
Confused about Stealth? Think "invisibility" means "take the mini off the board to make people guess?" You need to check out The Rules Of Hidden Club.
Damage types and resistances: A working house rule.
To clarify the whole "our DM allows us to buy any item regardless of rarity", that's not exactly true.  I've allowed players to request any item via wishlists and I make rolls to determine loot (for example a nat 20 on the dice could mean a rare item for the player, as long as he/she doesn't already have one for the tier and has one on the wish list).  I also allow them to buy up to uncommon items from stores (read magic marts).  We're in a high magic environment even though the campaign is in Eberron.  I also allow the players to make uncommon items.

For these reasons, I chose to stick to the old rule for daily powers on items since it would be very easy for players to stack a large amount of them (see the bag of wands example).  Most of the group was fairly new to DnD or the 4th edition so that contributed as well.  No house rules are currently in place.  However if the players feel they would want to change the rule to the newer version, I am willing to do so, but that will include a variety of changes and not just gains as noted by the previous post.
"Non nobis Domine Sed nomini tuo da gloriam" "I wish for death not because I want to die, but because I seek the war eternal"

To clarify the whole "our DM allows us to buy any item regardless of rarity", that's not exactly true.  I've allowed players to request any item via wishlists and I make rolls to determine loot (for example a nat 20 on the dice could mean a rare item for the player, as long as he/she doesn't already have one for the tier and has one on the wish list).  I also allow them to buy up to uncommon items from stores (read magic marts).  We're in a high magic environment even though the campaign is in Eberron.  I also allow the players to make uncommon items.

Eberron always struck me as a reasonably high-magic sort of world.  Magic in Eberron is certainly pervasive, anyway, part of the world and the societies on it.

For these reasons, I chose to stick to the old rule for daily powers on items since it would be very easy for players to stack a large amount of them (see the bag of wands example).

Sounds like a good call to me.

Eberron always struck me as a reasonably high-magic sort of world.  Magic in Eberron is certainly pervasive, anyway, part of the world and the societies on it.

For these reasons, I chose to stick to the old rule for daily powers on items since it would be very easy for players to stack a large amount of them (see the bag of wands example).

Sounds like a good call to me.

Agreed that magic is part of the world, but according to some of the lore i've read Eberron doesn't have large quantities of magic items everywhere.

Thanks  

It does have lots of magic items everywhere, but the bulk of them tend to be utility/service stuff rather than adventuring equipment. That said, adventuring equipment usually isn't too difficult to get - there's a fair bit of it floating around and Cannith can probably put whatever it is together in a day or two.

The main thing to watch for vis-a-vis daily item use limits is that the limit does increase at paragon and epic tier (if you ever get to that point).

A couple of other misc things from the thread:

Some summoned creatures' intrinsic actions are potentially hazardous to the party. If it attacks the nearest "creature" then that includes allies as well as enemies. (If there are two or more creatures that qualify as nearest then the summoner can choose which one will be attacked, though.)

Also...

"If that power had the Personal keyword, it would still provoke OAs, because it is a Ranged power, and Ranged powers provoke OAs."

Personal and Ranged are mutually exclusive keywords (Personal/Melee/Ranged/Close/Area) so they should never appear on the same power, unless it's as "Personal OR Ranged X", in which case the Personal use would not provoke OAs. I can't think of any powers like that though.