Caterwauling Boggart

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
So, Immerwolf and company recently changed their text to clarify whether it would stack or not. Normally, if it was only one ability, it wouldn't stack, although some found it confusing.

Caterwauling Boggart, though, is very strange, because it has two abilities and they don't stack. It even has a ruling to explain that. I think it should get the same treatment:

"Each creature you control that's an Elemental or a Goblin can't be blocked except by two or more creatures." 
Seems reasonable to me.
As long as we're talking about Caterwauling Boggart, his Oracle text currently means that your Boggart Shenanigans can't be blocked except by two or more creatures. Doesn't technically cause any rules issues, but it would make sense to specify that the bonus only applies to creatures.
Rules Advisor
Where would the potential stacking confusion come from though?  Two abilities that say "can't be blocked except by two or more" are redundant by default.  If it said "Must be blocked by an additional creature", then they would need to change the wording.
I agree with degg. The issue was people were confused about more bonuses applying. In this case it does not matter. Even if it gave something that was magical hackable like a like landwalk or pro-color its redundant.
Two abilities that say "can't be blocked except by two or more" are redundant by default.

That's true, but some people think it is cumulative (hence, the mention in the lorwyn FAQ). The condensed wording eliminates (or significantly reduces) the possibility that people will mistakenly think that.
Two abilities that say "can't be blocked except by two or more" are redundant by default.

That's true, but some people think it is cumulative (hence, the mention in the lorwyn FAQ). The condensed wording eliminates (or significantly reduces) the possibility that people will mistakenly think that.

However, as soon as they have more then one in play at the same, the question of whether they stack will come up again.  Therefore changing the wording only delays the issue.
That's all still not a reason not to be consistent in template.
As long as we're talking about Caterwauling Boggart, his Oracle text currently means that your Boggart Shenanigans can't be blocked except by two or more creatures. Doesn't technically cause any rules issues, but it would make sense to specify that the bonus only applies to creatures.

That interaction with Boggart shenanigans appears intentional. A ruling to the effect "this doesn't grant the ability to attack if the permanent doesn't already have it" would be better.
Check out my cube!
Show
My sig was so awesome it broke Browsers, [url= http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29455423/For_some_reason...]I had to remove it.[/url] Support Magic Fiction! Or Bolas will eat you
57193048 wrote:
You should never explain layers to people unless one of the following is true: they're studying for a judge exam, you're both in a Ben Affleck movie and it's the only way to save the world, or you hate them.
56663526 wrote:
We try to maintain the illusion that Magic cards are written in English.
56333196 wrote:
69511863 wrote:
Hell, if they steal from us, we'd be honored.
oh my god, AWESOME! Then changing the Slivers was your idea! haha lol
56734518 wrote:
Occassionally when catering, I've been put the task of arranging Fruit and Cheese or Grilled Vegetable platters. More than once a high class buffet has started with the mark of Phyrexia upon it. Since i've got a good eye for color so it looks great to people who don't get the "joke" (it's a niceley divided circle after all: the outline gives you 4-6 "regions" to work with), this has actually got me put on platter design more often, resulting in Phyrexia's presence at more private and industry events.
I have 6917 Planeswalker points, that's probably more than you. [c=Hero's Resolve]"Destiny, chance, fate, fortune, mana screw; they're all just ways of claiming your successes without claiming your failures." Gerrard of the Weatherlight[/c]

That interaction with Boggart shenanigans appears intentional. A ruling to the effect "this doesn't grant the ability to attack if the permanent doesn't already have it" would be better.

It grants an ability to noncreature permanents that only has any meaning on a creature. There's no real interaction.
Rules Advisor