Evolve

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
I am confused with the evolve abilty,

I thought it worked like this [/c]Cloudfin Raptor[/c] is a 0/1 and then i play a [/c]Simic Fluxmage[/c] which is a 1/2, so this makes the [/c]cloudfin Rapor[/c] increases to a 1/2 is this correct?

Thank you Craig 
the first [c] without /

you basically got it right, yes
proud member of the 2011 community team

It puts a +1/+1 counter on it, that just happens to make a 1/2. But it doesnt always work that way. If you have a 1/2 creature with Evolve and a 4/4 enters the battlefield under your control, your Evolve creature becomes a 2/3, not a 4/4.

~ Tim 

I am Blue/White Reached DCI Rating 1800 on 28/10/11. :D
Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
Not bad. But what happens flavor wise when one kamahl kills the other one?
Zis iz a sign uf deep psychological troma, buried in zer subconscious mind. By keelink himzelf, Kamahl iz physically expressink hiz feelinks uf self-disgust ova hiz desire for hiz muzzer. [/GermanPsychologistVoice]
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
That makes no sense to me. If they spelled the ability out on the card in full then it would not be allowed in a mono-black Commander deck, but because they used a keyword to save space it is allowed? ~ Tim
Yup, just like you can have Birds of paradise in a mono green deck but not Noble Hierarch. YAY COLOR IDENTITY
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Is algebra really that difficult?
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
You want to make a milky drink. You squeeze a cow.
I love this description. Like the cows are sponges filled with milk. I can see it all Nick Parks claymation-style with the cow's eyes bugging out momentarily as a giant farmer squeezes it like a squeaky dog toy, and milk shoots out of it.
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
And no judge will ever give you a game loss for playing snow covered lands.
I now have a new goal in life. ;)
Yes, that's correct as far as it goes.

More precisely, when you have a creature with Evolve and another creature enters the battlefield under your control, if the second creature has higher power and/or toughness as it enters the battlefield, a triggered ability goes on the stack. If the second creature still has higher power and/or toughness when that ability resolves, the first creature (the one with Evolve) gets a +1/+1 counter.
Jeff Heikkinen DCI Rules Advisor since Dec 25, 2011

You use / only on the second tag. Cloudfin Raptor, Simic Fluxmage

Yes, when Simic Fluxmage enters the battlefield (not when you play it, but when your opponent lets it resolve), it has power greater than Cloudfin's power and/or toughness greater than Cloudfin's toughness, so Cloudfin Raptor gets one +1/+1 counter and becomes 1/2. Nothing special happens to the Fluxmage here.

It's just a coincidence both creatures end up as 1/2. The new creature also don't need evolve, just the creature already on the battlefield (the one that actually evolves). If you have a 1/1 or a 0/2 or anything bigger entering the battlefield under your control, the 0/1 Cloudfin will get one +1/+1 counter, becoming 1/2.

[<o>]
Sorry for the tags i have been away from the forums for awhile.

Okay what would then happen if i had my Cloudfin Raptor on the feild who was a 1/2 and i played for example Crocanura who is a 1/3 would that mean my Cloudfin Raptor would then become at 2/3 or what? Because some of the people i have played with say that because it's only his toughness that is greater the the creatures toughness who is already in play with evolve that the said creature would only get a +0/+1 (By that logic my Cloudfin Raptor would become a 1/3 not a 2/3

That is where i cam getting confussed

Thank you 
The cards do exactly what they say they do. In your example, the Crocanura has 3 toughness, greater than Cloudfin's current 2 toughness. Thus, evolve places a +1/+1 counter and no other type of counter. The Cloudfin Raptor becomes a 2/3.
Sorry for the tags i have been away from the forums for awhile.

Okay what would then happen if i had my Cloudfin Raptor on the feild who was a 1/2 and i played for example Crocanura who is a 1/3 would that mean my Cloudfin Raptor would then become at 2/3 or what? Because some of the people i have played with say that because it's only his toughness that is greater the the creatures toughness who is already in play with evolve that the said creature would only get a +0/+1 (By that logic my Cloudfin Raptor would become a 1/3 not a 2/3

That is where i cam getting confussed

Thank you 

702.98. Evolve

702.98a Evolve is a triggered ability. "Evolve" means "Whenever a creature enters the battlefield under your control, if that creature's power is greater than this creature's power and/or that creature's toughness is greater than this creature's toughness, put a +1/+1 counter on this creature."

702.98b If a creature has multiple instances of evolve, each triggers separately.

It only places +1/+1 counters, not +1/+0 or +0/+1.

I don't get why this is confusing.
IMAGE(http://www.spritestitch.com/forum/images/ranks/rank7mario.gif)
I don't get why this is confusing.

Didn't you even read the very text you just quoted?
Because some of the people i have played with say that

Wizards of the Coast: NOT ANYMORE outsourced to Elbonia

Thank you for the responces.

Yes it wasn't me personaly that was confused it was some people that i play with, So I had to clear it up with them. 
Sign In to post comments