Removing Counters

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
If I Bioshift a counter from Protean Hydra to another creature, does that count as "removing" a counter from the Hydra?  Or is it similar to how when something tells you to "put a card into your hand," it doesn't actually count as drawing a card?
Yes
If I Bioshift a counter from Protean Hydra to another creature, does that count as "removing" a counter from the Hydra?  Or is it similar to how when something tells you to "put a card into your hand," it doesn't actually count as drawing a card?

From Bioshift's rulings (you can find them in the autocard link you provided):

1/24/2013 To move a counter from one creature to another, the counter is removed from the first creature and placed on the second. Any abilities that care about a counter being removed or placed on a creature will apply.

So yes, a counter was removed from the Hydra so it will gain two counters next end step.

[<o>]
yes, it does count as removing a counter
121.5. If an effect says to “move” a counter, it means to take that counter from the object it’s currently on and put it onto a second object. If the first and second objects are the same object, nothing happens. If the first object has no counters, nothing happens; the second object doesn’t get a counter put on it. If the second object (or any possible second objects) is no longer in the correct zone when the effect would move the counter, nothing happens; a counter isn’t removed from the first object.

The last line implies that when moved counters are removed and then placed.

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013  - If you have any concerns with my conduct as a judge, feel free to submit feedback here.
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

Sign In to post comments