Rogue Scheme (Trickster) Change

Something really minor but I still could not help but post. It is my personal opinion that the Rogue Scheme: Trickster, should gain Slippery Target instead of Sneak Attack as their Rogue Talent. Not only does it seem a bit more "tricky" and thematically in line with the "trickster image" (as in "I trick you to hit your ally") then Sneak Attack, but Sneak Attack is well (if not overlly) represented among the other schemes.
Just a small thought. 
Agreed, currently i´m playing a Charisma Rogue using the Trickster Scheme and i find that Sneak Attack is an odd choice for the character.
I have to say, I like that idea. Slippery Target does make more sense thematically. Good call.

Curious as to your opinion on my issue with Trickster. The problem I see is, the other schemes don't offer much compared to getting 3 addtional skills/augments. I just don't need Skill Focus (Sneak) or Improved Initiative all that badly. Especially not since I already had a decent Sneak and in combat was a ranged weapon user, and thus sat back and knocked'em down from a distance. 

Potential Solution: Keep Trickster the way it is (with the exception of the above proposed change) and add to the other Schemes (Improved Initiative + 1 additional skill trick, or Skill Focus (Sneak) + 1 bonus to Search, etc.) Something like that could work pretty well. Then I would have incentive to look at the other Schemes. But as it stands, Trickster is by far the best option, thus there really aren't "options". 

The 3 additional Skill Tricks weren't enough to unbalance gameplay and make me "better" than other players' characters. It's just apparent lack of option I don't care for.  
I have to say, I like that idea. Slippery Target does make more sense thematically. Good call.

Curious as to your opinion on my issue with Trickster. The problem I see is, the other schemes don't offer much compared to getting 3 addtional skills/augments. I just don't need Skill Focus (Sneak) or Improved Initiative all that badly. Especially not since I already had a decent Sneak and in combat was a ranged weapon user, and thus sat back and knocked'em down from a distance. 

Potential Solution: Keep Trickster the way it is (with the exception of the above proposed change) and add to the other Schemes (Improved Initiative + 1 additional skill trick, or Skill Focus (Sneak) + 1 bonus to Search, etc.) Something like that could work pretty well. Then I would have incentive to look at the other Schemes. But as it stands, Trickster is by far the best option, thus there really aren't "options". 

The 3 additional Skill Tricks weren't enough to unbalance gameplay and make me "better" than other players' characters. It's just apparent lack of option I don't care for.  

I believe i´ve seen your feedback request on the subject on another post, anyway, yeah i think trickster is the best (not by far) of the schemes, mainly because of flexibility. I agree with you, the 3 extra skill tricks in no way seems to overpower other characters, but i think in my character case is because he´s a charisma rogue (limited by roleplaying situations), idk but in theory (i´ll need another rogue in the party to compare) i believe it can be more obvious when you have a dexterity rogue (quick, sneaky, etc) so it would shine in combat and exploration.

What about reducing the extra skill tricks of the trickster to just two? When i saw the number three my first thought was "wow, i´ll pick this".

On another rogue thing: What are your thoughts on increasing the HD from d6 to d8? In my case i feel a little bit weak with d6. 
Yea, my Dad was our group's DM. He posted in the DM forum and we were talking about it there. I only posted it again because after that I saw this thread about this exact topic.

I wouldn't be opposed to knocking it down to two extra skill tricks (I thought about mentioning it in my previous proposed change, but i got greedy. lol). But that should be in tandem with slightly beefing up the other schemes. Kinda evens it out on both ends.

I played more of a dexterity rogue and I thought it worked really well. But not so well that I was overpowered. My buddy played a similar rogue (again seeing Trickster as THE option). the only way we really differed was Specialty and Skill Tricks. And that was a concious decision to diverge a bit so as not to be identical.

Ultimately, how well I did didn't depend on the schems or skill tricks. It came down to the most basic element of pen and paper gaming, luck. My die rolls are what made or broke me. Same goes for my buddy. 

Honestly, I definitely wouldn't mind HD bumping up to d8. Rogues generally don't have a very high AC (mine was 15), so I was constantly conciously aware of my 9 HP. That said, I was running a bit of a scout/sniper. Scout ahead, pop off a shot if necessary, sidestep to let the barbarian charge, and then just adjust my position to give the best possible support fire. Because of that strategy, I wasn't right up front in the action a whole lot, and we didn't run in to any ranged attackers. So, though I was aware of my potential defensive weakness, I didn't really "feel" it a whole lot. However, I will say that my low HP/low-mid AC did effect my weapon choice. I chose ranged and that strategy BECAUSE I knew that I wouldn't be able to withstand much up front. 

I like your idea on the HD. bumping it up to d8, I think, would open up the options on combat playability a bit more. (but that might be more of a personal strategy preferance). And I think evening out the Skill Tricks would open up the diversity in rogues/rogue tactics.

For all my nitpicking I would like to say, I really enjoyed playing D&D Next. I enjoyed playing the Rogue, and if I get to playtest it again, I won't be rolling up a new character. Looking forward to the next set of rules. Had a lot of fun.

Though many of the schemes are underwhelming, there are others besides "Trickster" which can make for a good Rogue build. I find the Rake's martial Maneuver very helpful (grab Rapid Strike and a longbow) and it keeps your Feat (or speciality) open to buy other "goodies". My current playtest character is a High Elf Rake (Skill trick: Charming Presence) who took Arcane Dabbler (Mage Hand, Minor Illusion, Prestidigitation - including high elf perk), Rapid Shot and the Noble background. Made for a great Gallant type, but not your "typical" rogue build.
That said, maybe only the Acrobat and Assassin are worth much. 
You know, it also just occured to me that giving the "Trickster" Slippery Target in place of Sneak Attack takes a bit of the "punch" away from the scheme and thus brings it in line with the other schemes better. Just a thought.
OP: Agreed

PJones: Also Agreed.  I'd rather have the Skill Trick, Quick Reflexes, than improved initiative and with Trickster I get other stuff too.  I think this is the perfect way of putting it.

"The 3 additional Skill Tricks weren't enough to unbalance gameplay and make me "better" than other players' characters. It's just apparent lack of option I don't care for. "

Given all options, Skill Tricks are preferable to all other options.  Since the beginning of this whole Next thing, the Rogue has strived to reward creative players and I think more tricks made me feel more like a Rogue.  I would make these tricks the default, and maybe 1-2 tricks are worth the bonus feats given in the other options. 

Currently, as written:

3 Skill Tricks = Improved Initiative = Skill Focus =
1 Maneuver Feat = All Shields/Weapon Proficiency

This is not the case.  I would go so far as to say I feel 1 Trick is equivalent to these benefits except perhaps for weapons and shields.  But no one has complained that having 3 extra tricks is overpowered, so why not incorporate these feats into the character.  A 1st level Rogue can pick up to 4 Skill Tricks, and substitute 1 trick for Skill Focus or Martial Weapon/Shield Prof or a General Maneuver.  Quick Reflexes is redundant with Improved Initiative, the Weapon Profs make Strength based rogues viable so leave those.

Having said that, I love my Rogue, I love Next, but it does feel a little fragile with 15 AC and 18 HP at level 3.

Just to provide my own example, I created a Scheme called Chessmaster which is basically the same as the Trickster except with Artful Dodger.  I see him more as someone who avoids damage rather than dealing it or misdirecting attacks.

Vampire Class/Feat in 2013!

I prefer Next because 4E players and CharOpers can't find their ass without a grid and a power called "Find Ass."

I think it plays well when you increase the class HD to d8 and reduce the skills tricks of the Trickster Scheme to just two OR replace Sneak Attack with Slippery Target.

Another rogue question: How do you roleplay or describe using Unassuming Threat? I´m lacking imagination on the subject.
I picture Unassuming Threat as you being the less optimal target, thus causing distraction. Example, you are monuted upon a horse, a creature attacks you... with Unassuming Threat you are precieved as just a guy on this beast with hooves and snorting and noise and muscles... and little you gets lost back there... Or kind of like the "cave troll" scene in LotR... At times the troll was actually attacking one of the hobbits, but being distracted by the the more "threatening" humans... and thus the troll would make "sloppy" attacks against the hobbits. Unfortunately... It is hard to discribe in roleplay... not impossible... just tough... Of course I could be completely getting the theme of the ability wrong... That does happen more often then I would like ;)