Home-brew Question :D

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
I looking to make a home-brew to fit a certain scenario and type of gameplay, with the "skeleton" being based on DnD. My question is, which is the easiest/simplest edition out?
By simplest/easiest I mean:
easiest to understand, 
simplest rules,
fastest learning curve,
etc.

All help is greatly appreciated :D 
My opinion: 4e.  Mechanics is completely divorceable from fluff, and vice versa.  The mechanics are clearly defined, so only occasionally is there interpretation involved, and even that is corner-cases that rarely if ever come up.  There's healers for ever major source of power — martial, arcane, divine, primal, and psionic — so if you want to limit or exclude certain ones from your world, you don't have to compensate anywhere else.   And the rules are straightforward enough and redundant in all the different places — a d20 and whatever damage your attacks do is all you need to worry about rolling, and everything is mechanically similar enough that once you explain something you can pretty much apply it to everything else.  I've been able to teach several players with different levels of comprehension/attention, with minimal issues.
Thank you very much for that input, anyone else have any thoughts?
you're asking the question on the 4e boards.

Aside of that, yes, I do agree previous versions where much more complex. HOWEVER, if I were you, I would start with a homebrew world (your own map, power structure, city-names, etc) in a standard medieaval D&D setting using 4e rules, get familiar with those rules, and take it from there.

My experience is that the basic game math for 4e is pretty well balanced, and if you do not know what you're doing, you could quickly find yourself in a quagmire of a mess.

Short version: as a base, use the version you're already familiar with. Homebrewing a total system is a lot and a lot of work to do well. 
Without knowing exactly what the OP is trying to accomplish it's hard to say, but I'll agree with earlier posts that 4th edition definitely has the most standardized rules and math associated with everything within it's ruleset. Fairly easy to determine how a certain thing should function. 
It might be worth looking at 5e as an option.  So far it's looking like a reasonably clean and simple set of rules with the added benefit of being a free download at present.  Would help to hear a little bit more about your scenario and style of gameplay.
As often as they've been changing the rules, and intentionally unbalancing things just to have them break, I wouldn't recommend anyone even consider touching 5e except as one-shots, for the time being.

If you want something for free, go with FATE.
I am trying to simplify the rules to get rid of any redundancies, anything too complicated or tedious, and basically stream lining the game to my preferance. I was trying to make my own game (mechanics, story, classes, skills, the whole 9 yards) but it became much more difficult the farther in i developed the game. So I came to the conclusion that I would rather "borrow" a set of DnD rules (they have to be good, thats why theyre still around) and just adjust.

I was under the impression that the 'What's a DM to Do?' part of the forum was for all DMs, no matter the version... 

I was under the impression that the 'What's a DM to Do?' part of the forum was for all DMs, no matter the version... 

It is...
Owner and Proprietor of the House of Trolls. God of ownership and possession.
I am trying to simplify the rules to get rid of any redundancies, anything too complicated or tedious, and basically stream lining the game to my preferance. I was trying to make my own game (mechanics, story, classes, skills, the whole 9 yards) but it became much more difficult the farther in i developed the game. So I came to the conclusion that I would rather "borrow" a set of DnD rules (they have to be good, thats why theyre still around) and just adjust.

I don't think it follows that just because a game has been around for a while that the rules are any good. D&D has passable rules that don't bear very close inspection. They work well enough.

4th Edition is your best bet. The combat is very simple, and all of the characters work off the same basic principles, rather than a collection of subsystems.

If I have to ask the GM for it, then I don't want it.

4th Edition all the way - even having not played it myself!   I've read up on it multiple times (all the core books) and it is a bit more simpler than earlier versions (when I say simple, I mean ease of use).

Been playing 3/3.5 since it came out.  Oh how difficult all the nuances can be for those new to pen and paper RPG's.  I like Palladiums rule system as well (yes I know this is D&D boards!), but again, that system is a little more difficult.  Lets not even talk about the original D&D or advanced D&D, THAC0 seems impossible to eduacate someone on until they choose to turn their lightbulb on.

So, 4E is wonderful for what you are wanting to do.  Good luck!
I looking to make a home-brew to fit a certain scenario and type of gameplay, with the "skeleton" being based on DnD. My question is, which is the easiest/simplest edition out?
By simplest/easiest I mean:
easiest to understand, 
simplest rules,
fastest learning curve,
etc.

All help is greatly appreciated :D 

Take a look at Dungeon World and Sacred BBQ.  Both very stripped-down, elegant, well-designed systems, Dungeon World in particular.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
DnD Next As platform. Can download for free and then twick to you and your players liking.  You can even give feed back after heh.
Sure, DDN is a platform.  An unstable one, several stories up with a rickety ladder, a kiddie pool at the bottom, and a boatload of Russian & East German Judges waiting to give their scores.

;)

I'm not saying that it can't, potentially, be a good system to use.

I am saying that it isn't complete yet, that it's currently in stages where weaknesses are magnified in the hopes of finding them, and where parts of the system currently being used won't necessarily be that way in the next release two or three months down the line.

If you're going to use any current D&D system, the best is probably 4e.  If you've got a couple of years before it matters, than DDN is a possibility, but it's not set in stone yet.
Sign In to post comments