Last post

Sideboard
[deck]
x3 Barter in Blood
x3 Dispel
x3 Mind Rot
x3 Duress
x3 Cyclonic Rift

My problem is against aggro decks.  Naturally against aggro I side in Mind Rot, and Duress and it's hit or miss from there.  If I run into Mind Rot and Dimir Charm I can usually keep them top decking land while tearing their hand apart but if I don't I'm literally caught with my pants down (figuartively speaking).

Is there a sideboard suggestion that might make the deck work more robustly against aggro decks?

[/deck]
-NW "Behold blessed perfection!" --Sheoldred, Whispering One
You're not trying to curve out or anything, so you could afford to drop some of those Islands for Dimir Guildgates. And as it is now, you probably don't have enough instants and sorceries to support Runechanter's Pike as a win condition. That said, sticking one of those on a Vampire Nighthawk with even just a few instants or sorceries in the graveyard can be deadly, so I dunno.
You're not trying to curve out or anything, so you could afford to drop some of those Islands for Dimir Guildgates. And as it is now, you probably don't have enough instants and sorceries to support Runechanter's Pike as a win condition. That said, sticking one of those on a Vampire Nighthawk with even just a few instants or sorceries in the graveyard can be deadly, so I dunno.

The real think with Vampire Nighthawk and Runechanter's pike is first strike.

Flying, firstrike, deathtouch, and lifelink in a creature is pretty damn good.

Not to mention after first strike damage resolves I can follow up with a tragic slip.

The fact that he gets power bonuses from the pike is a side bonus more than anything.

The win con here is believe it or not Lazav more than anything.  A first-strike nighthawk facilitates that big time.

-3 liliana of the veil

You have nothing you want to pitch to her, and there are other sac effects you can use. replace with 2 devour flesh, and a liliana of the dark realms (fixes mana, powers mutilate, and kills things).

-3 lazav, dimir mastermind

3/3 hexproof until something hits an opponent's graveyard. Problem is, there isn't much that can hit their graveyard that will make this amazing. Which means you have a quadruple color specific 3/3 hewproof most of the time. Not nearly good enough. Replace with 5 mana planeswalkers ( jace or tamiyo). 

-2 sever the bloodline

You are running 3 of these. Many too many. Try 2 victim of night instead.

-3 curse of death's hold

put it in the sideboard where it belongs. replace with 2 barter in blood and a copy of ultimate price

- 1 runechanter's pike

replace with think twice to up the draw and the instant/sorcery ratio.
barter in blood
aetherize

Barter worked great!

Added it to the sideboard.

try havengul lich, he could prove useful with something like gilded lotus  or chromatic lantern  to give you access to every color so you can start reviving creatures from your enemies graveyard; that could prove as a another win condition, or just allows you to revive your own guys to help finish him off.
Sign In to post comments