Rakdos Zombies

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Favorite set: Arabian Nights Favorite planeswalker: Taysir, the One Made of Five Favorite book cycle: Ice Age Favorite creature type(s): Elephant (W), Minotaur (R), Shade (B), Spider (G), Cephalid (U) Myr (Artifact) Pauper: Monoblack Control Modern: Zombie Tribal; Unyaro Stax Cube: The Moons of Mirrodin
Might be a bit hard to cast with the Mutavaults, but Geralf's Messenger is still one of the best zombies ever, IMO. Maybe trim off a few lords for 3 or 4 of them?

Also, If you sneak a bit more green in the mana base, Abrupt Decay would probably replace Smother pretty easily. Then you can ignore counter spells and hit Planeswalkers like Liliana of the Veil.

Other than that, looks like solid aggro to me.
I might just stick with mono-Black.  Ditch the Warchiefs, Dredgescape and Crusader (and Anathamancer), and run Adaptive Automaton and a slew of stuff to either ripe apart the other guys hand or removal for creatures.  With 4 different 3-drop lords, you should have no problem keeping a dangerous creature on the field.

I would caution against using Reaper and Undead though.  They don't play well together.  Undread returns your zombies to your hand and Reaper exiles them for a token.
My Decks
Standard: BR Aggro Burn RDW Modern: Dragon Stompy Burn Fae Tempo Zoo Cherrios Legacy: Zoo Dragon Stompy Pauper: Slivers Landfall EDH: Sliver Overlord
1000th post on 2-1-10. 5000th post on 1-21-13.
For reference, these are the other cards I was considering:
Highborn Ghoul
Sangrophage
Slavering Nulls
Wight of Precinct Six
Fleshbag Marauder
Geralf's Messenger
Skinrender
Korlash, Heir to Blackblade
Grave Pact
Kessig Wolf Run

Might be a bit hard to cast with the Mutavaults, but Geralf's Messenger is still one of the best zombies ever, IMO. Maybe trim off a few lords for 3 or 4 of them?

Also, If you sneak a bit more green in the mana base, Abrupt Decay would probably replace Smother pretty easily. Then you can ignore counter spells and hit Planeswalkers like Liliana of the Veil.

Other than that, looks like solid aggro to me.

Abrupt Decay would be preferable, despite my long-standing love of Smother.  Though I think somebody trying to use Liliana against this build would be sorely disappointed. lol.  Still, it's too good to ignore.  Geralf's Messenger might be playable with two copies of Urborg, but I wouldn't want to run three copies since it's legendary, and I wouldn't want to be hosed on the third black mana for the Messenger if I haven't drawn one.  I'm open to playtesting it though, and seeing.  Thanks a lot!

I might just stick with mono-Black.  Ditch the Warchiefs, Dredgescape and Crusader (and Anathamancer), and run Adaptive Automaton and a slew of stuff to either ripe apart the other guys hand or removal for creatures.  With 4 different 3-drop lords, you should have no problem keeping a dangerous creature on the field.

I would caution against using Reaper and Undead though.  They don't play well together.  Undread returns your zombies to your hand and Reaper exiles them for a token.

I actually really like the Dredgescapes in this- probably the best 2 drop in Modern Zombies (oh how I miss Shepherd of Rot), and the haste could mean punching through with an additional 5+ damage unexpected damage.  I also don't understand why I'd run Automatons when I have four other lords.  I definitely need better disruption though.  I have Duress in the 'board, but that won't stop Kiki combos.  Any suggestions for that besides Abrupt Decay? 

And thank you both for the advice. 
Favorite set: Arabian Nights Favorite planeswalker: Taysir, the One Made of Five Favorite book cycle: Ice Age Favorite creature type(s): Elephant (W), Minotaur (R), Shade (B), Spider (G), Cephalid (U) Myr (Artifact) Pauper: Monoblack Control Modern: Zombie Tribal; Unyaro Stax Cube: The Moons of Mirrodin
Warcheif is mosly overkill, and his cost reduction isn't going to really help you as most of your mana requirements are colored mana.  He makes the lords cheaper, but he's 4 mana.  Automations at least are your genaric, 3 mana, +1/+1 lord.

Dredgescape is pretty weak.  2 mana for a 2/1.  Sure you can unearth it to get it back, but you can also recover it using Lord of the Undead of have Cemetery Reaper nom it for a 2/2 token.  Gravecrawler is your recuring Zombie of choice.  Sure it can be a hasty dude, but any mindful opponent will keep an eye on it and be prepared.  Also, Deathrite Shaman is popular, he'll just nom him first, or with unearth on the stack.

Thoughtseize is the goto choice for targeted disrtuption.  Torpor Orb also shuts down Kiki combos. As does Pithing Needle.
My Decks
Standard: BR Aggro Burn RDW Modern: Dragon Stompy Burn Fae Tempo Zoo Cherrios Legacy: Zoo Dragon Stompy Pauper: Slivers Landfall EDH: Sliver Overlord
1000th post on 2-1-10. 5000th post on 1-21-13.