Edgewalker template

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
It's pretty much irrelevant because the reminder text clears it up but Edgewalker's template seems kind of imprecise.

Cleric spells you cast cost less to cast. This effect reduces only the amount of colored mana you pay.

Technically most of the mana you pay will be colored, whether it's being spent on a generic or a colored mana cost. The current wording implies that the card is somehow concerned with whether or not you're paying colored mana when what it's actually trying to do is reduce the mana cost. So I would think another template would be better.

This effect reduces only the colored part of a mana cost.
This effect can't reduce the generic part of a mana cost.

Again, the reminder text spells out pretty clearly what the intended functionality is but if it weren't there it would be pretty easy to misinterpret.

http://nogoblinsallowed.com/

"Mana cost" is too specific of a term. If you have Fist of Suns, Edgewalker allows you to play Clerics for even though it's an alternative cost, not the mana cost.
This effect can't reduce the generic part of a cost.

This effect can't reduce the generic part of a cost.

I can't think of any card that refers to generic mana cost.

Check out my cube!
Show
My sig was so awesome it broke Browsers, [url= http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29455423/For_some_reason...]I had to remove it.[/url] Support Magic Fiction! Or Bolas will eat you
57193048 wrote:
You should never explain layers to people unless one of the following is true: they're studying for a judge exam, you're both in a Ben Affleck movie and it's the only way to save the world, or you hate them.
56663526 wrote:
We try to maintain the illusion that Magic cards are written in English.
56333196 wrote:
69511863 wrote:
Hell, if they steal from us, we'd be honored.
oh my god, AWESOME! Then changing the Slivers was your idea! haha lol
56734518 wrote:
Occassionally when catering, I've been put the task of arranging Fruit and Cheese or Grilled Vegetable platters. More than once a high class buffet has started with the mark of Phyrexia upon it. Since i've got a good eye for color so it looks great to people who don't get the "joke" (it's a niceley divided circle after all: the outline gives you 4-6 "regions" to work with), this has actually got me put on platter design more often, resulting in Phyrexia's presence at more private and industry events.
I have 6917 Planeswalker points, that's probably more than you. [c=Hero's Resolve]"Destiny, chance, fate, fortune, mana screw; they're all just ways of claiming your successes without claiming your failures." Gerrard of the Weatherlight[/c]
What about
This effect reduces only the colored part of a cost.
?

Retemplating half a card is a risky undertaking. There needs to be a clear connection between the two sentences in Edgewalker's ability. The first sentence is a standard template that can be found on many other cards. "Cost" is the verb in that sentence, and "Cleric spells you cast" is the noun (and plural). Using "cost" as a noun in the second sentence and referring to a single cost would make the ability as a whole more difficult to parse.

As others have pointed out, the cost that Edgewalker reduces is the total cost of the spell. This game term exists in the Magic Comprehensive Rules, but it's not a term we expect players to know. (The only instance of the term on cards is in the reminder text of Sprout Swarm, Kavu Primarch, two Future Sight cards that have convoke and kicker.) On cards, we choose to refer to what players pay to cast a spell or what mana was spent to cast a spell.

Del Laugel

Editing manager, Magic TCG

While I recognize it is absolute pedantry, I feel I must point out that Sprout Swarm has buyback, and that buyback is not kicker.
Player == Object Instant = Sorcery - Instant
Unless it's a split card. Wink

"Proc" stands for "Programmed Random OCcurance". It does not even vaguely apply to anything Magic cards do. Don't use it.

Level 1 Judge as of 09/26/2013

Zammm = Batman

"Ability words are flavor text for Melvins." -- Fallingman

Kickers are just collapsed split cards. :P
Sign In to post comments