PS 3 complaints

19 posts / 0 new
Last post
Well I'm an old school card game player who got sucked back into playing when I bought it for my PS 3 last June. I enjoy playing a lot and probably play a couple hours everyday. Usually 2HG and 4 player planechase when people are actually playing.  I have some serious problems with the way the PS 3 experience plays out.

1. Every single time I play a 2HG game someone is mana screwed. No matter how big or small the deck is, either my partner or an opponent gets mana flooded or screwed. It could all decks being 60 card decks or any size decks. Major problem.

2. The ranking systems are broken and need to be fixed. My rankings always get deleted after I play and its a bit discouraging considering I am a very competitve gamer. I'm not saying I'm the best at magic but I did play WoW for a few years and worked my way into playing with some of the best guilds in the world. It does make the game a bit amateur when your ranking is always deleted and the top players have a glitch as their score. I feel it would be more rewarding if you could actually see what rank someone is and try to beat them according to what they have they accomplished. Also knowing how good or bad your partner is in a pickup match will help you gauge what type of decisions you will have to make. I just can't take the game seriously even though I play everyday. Also if you back out of a game because someone won't start the game (going AFK), you lose points. So lame.

3. There shouldn't be an AI takeover option. There should ALWAYS be an AI takeover considering some people get disconnected and you automatically lose.

4. There are too many people who quit playing when they think that they lost that game. Its fine with me if you want to quit out if you know that last play is going to end the game. From my experience, 1 out of every 4 2HG players quit out when they think they have lost the game even after the 1st hand. It gets irritating. There really isn't anything you can do about it but stick around and watch the AI make mistakes and lose. I have won with the AI but its not a usual occurance.

5. Please let us create our own decks. I hate to be the one to say this, but this game isn't on the forefront of the PS 3's repertoire. It's a card game. You need to make this game as interesting as possible and not so predictable to new players. Why does Jace's deck have counterspells but Nimzet and Talrand are stuck with 3 costing cancels or mana leaks? I mean it just irritates me when I'm playing against Jace and he gets the only useful counterspell in the game. If we can't fully customize our decks at least let us have some options from other cards unlocked to put in or take out of our decks. ( Blatant Thievery should be available in every blue deck imo. It is the epitome of what blue represents.). I would love to have some of the newer cards in the older decks. Not being able to alter our decks really does take away from the Magic experience. My first deck was white / black way before this was a normal thing in the game. Serra Angels, and Sengir Vampires with black knights and white knights. It wasn't an invincible deck but it was my creation. This was circa Legends or to new players 93 -94. I know I'm a dinosaur to most, but being able to create your own deck is what identified what you were doing and made other players think a little more about what your deck was about. The whole magic experience.

These five problems really stop the game from growing and becoming more popular. I know a lot of people who started playing when it came out and they pretty much quit playing or don't take the game seriously because of the issues I've addressed.

Thank you for your time.
1. Mulligan better.

2. Leaderboards always have been and always will be 100% meaningless.  The sooner you realize this, the happier you'll be.

3. If someone gets disconnected while you're playing against them in 1v1, you get credited with a win.  Nobody "serious" plays with AI Takeover on because playing the computer is boring (to serious players).

4. People shouldn't concede in 2HG but I have no idea what complaining about it will do.  Find good players and only partner with them?  You can't force someone to play out a match.  Sometimes people have to do Things In Real Life and can't finish the match, and Skynet can't tell when that's true and when the person is rage quitting so you can't just disable the "quit match" feature, and even if you did, they could just sign out of the PSN and accomplish the same thing.

5. That's what MTGO is for.  Also, Crosswinds is one of the most powerful decks in the game and you want to be able to give it more outs, like Counterspell?  Haha.

HTH.
Well I do hate to throw the lather of disappointment into your nice warm shower but to address:

1. What droneon said   (****, how did you hit this so quick)

2. If you are playing the game on 2 different PS3's sometimes, your ranking will reset. Other than that I can't figure out why that would happen to you.

3: I love to have the option of AI takeover in a long format game.

4: Quit playing random people or if you do, friend the good, cool players with mics and build your friend base. Before you know it, it will just be that off night when your friends are on something else and you get in and play with randoms.

5: Ain't gonna happen  (see 10,000 other threads about this topic in search).

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

Mastergear_Owen's take on Magic 2014 Campaign.

Show
You know what I've got more issues. Whats up with the story in this game? The adverts said I was going to team up with Chandra and we were going to kick butt and chew bubblegum across the planes on a revenge campaign against some... guy she knew I guess? Who's Ramaz anyway? What do I get instead? I beat Chandra like 2 minutes in with a mono-green stompy thing Garruk gave me (why does he keep giving all these new planeswalkers his deck) and then I spent like 5 hours jumping from plane to plane picking up random nicknacks for her mantlepiece while she sits back back doing her nails or something. I was thrown in jail! I got hit by a Roil Storm twice! Do you know how many rats are on Ravnica, Chandra? All of them! All of the rats! All of the rats eating me!

Then we go kick her Ex's bearded-screaming-butt and what does she do to help? Nothing! She throws of the occasional fire ball and spends her time trying not to freeze to death. You should have worn pants Chandra. While we're on the subject what happened to your shoes? You had like Steelies on. Steelies are cool. Now your running around with stupid boots with like 5-inch heels? Thats not appropriate footware for Planeswalking! That's not appropriate footware for normal walking! At least Liliana is doing it for the whole 'evil is sexy' thing and can summon undead to carry her when she breaks her ankle. What are you going to do ride a Phoenix? Its made of fire! You'll fall right through! Man I should have gone Planeswalking with Liliana - yeah she'd crack my head open with a rock 5 minutes in and raise my corpse to serve her but at least we could have gone dancing!

http://www.nogoblinsallowed.com/viewforum.php?f=38

My #1 complaint about the PS3 player base is that 90% of the people I play in 1v1 still have Show Damage Effects turned on.

Just... why...
This is why this game isn't appealing to new players. I am a new player even though I have a history with the game. All of your solutions don't address or even create a solution. Mulligan? Everyone does this and still has the same problem. Leader boards should be relevant if they are called such. Quit randomly playing with people? Most of the people I have tried partnering with have moved on to other games because of the problems I've addressed. The game is good but it isn't great. What I'm describing is what makes this game like pulling teeth at times.
The deck selection is trash BTW. There are only 4 good decks of the lot. The rest are a waste of time.
Mulligan? Everyone does this and still has the same problem.

The simple fact oof the matter is, the more players in a lobby, the more likely you are to see land issues. What do you suggest? A mechanic to control land draws? See how well removing random chance from this game goes over with the long time players.

Leaderboards are a legitimate complaint. I have no idea where you're getting the impression that leaving a pregame lobby affects your rank though. And I seriously question your desire to play competitively with randoms.

If you don't like AI takeover off, don't join those lobbies?
Players can quit whenever they want. It'd be nice for conceding to take you back to the lobby, but oh well.

There are a dozen threads on here about full customization and why it's a bad idea that won't happen. Get MtGO.

Only four good decks? You serious?
Close your eyes. Fly away. In the land where dreams, all are true. IMAGE(http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/distilledpoizn/StupidJefferson.jpg)
I am intrigued as to what four decks you speak of.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

Show
You know what I've got more issues. Whats up with the story in this game? The adverts said I was going to team up with Chandra and we were going to kick butt and chew bubblegum across the planes on a revenge campaign against some... guy she knew I guess? Who's Ramaz anyway? What do I get instead? I beat Chandra like 2 minutes in with a mono-green stompy thing Garruk gave me (why does he keep giving all these new planeswalkers his deck) and then I spent like 5 hours jumping from plane to plane picking up random nicknacks for her mantlepiece while she sits back back doing her nails or something. I was thrown in jail! I got hit by a Roil Storm twice! Do you know how many rats are on Ravnica, Chandra? All of them! All of the rats! All of the rats eating me!

Then we go kick her Ex's bearded-screaming-butt and what does she do to help? Nothing! She throws of the occasional fire ball and spends her time trying not to freeze to death. You should have worn pants Chandra. While we're on the subject what happened to your shoes? You had like Steelies on. Steelies are cool. Now your running around with stupid boots with like 5-inch heels? Thats not appropriate footware for Planeswalking! That's not appropriate footware for normal walking! At least Liliana is doing it for the whole 'evil is sexy' thing and can summon undead to carry her when she breaks her ankle. What are you going to do ride a Phoenix? Its made of fire! You'll fall right through! Man I should have gone Planeswalking with Liliana - yeah she'd crack my head open with a rock 5 minutes in and raise my corpse to serve her but at least we could have gone dancing!

What four decks usually win every single time they are played properly? And how many bad decks do you guys think there are? Bad also meaning very little thought or strategy using them.
What four decks usually win every single time they are played properly? And how many bad decks do you guys think there are? Bad also meaning very little thought or strategy using them.

What the hell does that make Goblin Ganglands?  The deck that usually wins every time that requires very little thought or strategy using it.

Zero bad decks, except maybe GG under your definition of 'bad'.  But it's a poor definition.

The weakest deck in the game, RG, is still pretty decent. 
Mulligan does nothing about you drawing lands 5 turns in a row, or not drawing any at all.
Mulligan does nothing about you drawing lands 5 turns in a row, or not drawing any at all.

Not true!  5 bad draws in a row can still result in a win if you mulliganned into a good enough opening hand.  Just last night I won two matches (one with OD, one with AW) where I drew 4 or 5 lands in a row but still won, because my opening hand was good enough.

There are no bad decks, only bad players.  In 1v1, even the worst (meaning, "most inconsistent") decks are playable - I'm referring to DP, RG and AoW.

I still don't get why leaderboards should be relevant.  People will always, in every game, figure out a way to cheat their rank up.  Seriously, just ignore them.

But maybe you're right.  Maybe Duels doesn't even worth 6 euros. 

Not true!  5 bad draws in a row can still result in a win if you mulliganned into a good enough opening hand.  Just last night I won two matches (one with OD, one with AW) where I drew 4 or 5 lands in a row but still won, because my opening hand was good enough.

There are no bad decks, only bad players.  In 1v1, even the worst (meaning, "most inconsistent") decks are playable - I'm referring to DP, RG and AoW.

I still don't get why leaderboards should be relevant.  People will always, in every game, figure out a way to cheat their rank up.  Seriously, just ignore them.

But maybe you're right.  Maybe Duels doesn't even worth 6 euros. 

I don't know about that. Matter of opinion.
I've been having much fun playing DP in 1v1 as of recently.
On the other two, I agree.
They are on my shelf collecting dust.

Edit:
On the leader board....
I still can't figure it out. I have been paying attention to it for the past couple of months to see how they react and I must say that I am baffled.

Just in the past couple of days my win ratio is greater than loss and I've somehow went down in the rankings.

Show

I love playing DP in 1v1, but I don't play it as a mill deck.  I was only really talking about the Turbo Mill version that many people run, with Howling Mine and such (thank for the free cards!)

This is how I run it:

erdana; font-size:12px; border-collapse:collapse" cellspacing="0" border="0">"Controllo"61 Cards. 25 Lands (25).A library for Dream Puppets (Jace)erdana; font-size:9px">Library code: ((((((((~~?8rRgf~~Controllo~~4=22Z4u~~2AfFoD9~~3AR=f?U~~2AV2Sqn~~2BgrlzF~~2AXVHK2~~3Bv9soo~~2BYNpIs~~1BQh3JZ~~1AM7rMq~~2BSk1iS~~2AM?ImW~~1AOGeX?~~1BcvqPe~~2?6r?pu~~2B=oA0O~~2?z=kXF~~2ADmWas~~))))))))
 Creature 
   cost  ■■ Hedron Crab  0/2   
■■■■ Jace's Phantasm  1/1   
   cost  ■■ Aether Adept  2/2   
   cost  ■■ Clone  0/0   
   cost  ■■ Body Double  0/0   
   cost  ■■ Chancellor of the Spires  5/7   
 Spell 
   cost  ■■■ Thought Scour   
■■ Unsummon   
   cost  ■■ Counterspell   
■■ Into the Roil   
■■■ Mind Sculpt   
   cost   Crippling Chill   
 Dream Fracture   
■■ Sword of Body and Mind   
   cost   Sleep   
   cost   Archive Trap   
■■ Mind Control   
■■ Telemin Performance   
erdana; font-size:9px">Get the deck planner used to make this table.>>>

I love playing DP in 1v1, but I don't play it as a mill deck.  I was only really talking about the Turbo Mill version that many people run, with Howling Mine and such (thank for the free cards!)

This is how I run it:

erdana; font-size:12px; border-collapse:collapse" cellspacing="0" border="0">

"Controllo"

61 Cards. 25 Lands (25).

A library for Dream Puppets (Jace)

erdana; font-size:9px">Library code: ((((((((~~?8rRgf~~Controllo~~4=22Z4u~~2AfFoD9~~3AR=f?U~~2AV2Sqn~~2BgrlzF~~2AXVHK2~~3Bv9soo~~2BYNpIs~~1BQh3JZ~~1AM7rMq~~2BSk1iS~~2AM?ImW~~1AOGeX?~~1BcvqPe~~2?6r?pu~~2B=oA0O~~2?z=kXF~~2ADmWas~~))))))))

Creature 
   cost  ■■ Hedron Crab  0/2   
■■■■ Jace's Phantasm  1/1   
   cost  ■■ Aether Adept  2/2   
   cost  ■■ Clone  0/0   
   cost  ■■ Body Double  0/0   
   cost  ■■ Chancellor of the Spires  5/7   
 Spell 
   cost  ■■■ Thought Scour   
■■ Unsummon   
   cost  ■■ Counterspell   
■■ Into the Roil   
■■■ Mind Sculpt   
   cost   Crippling Chill   
 Dream Fracture   
■■ Sword of Body and Mind   
   cost   Sleep   
   cost   Archive Trap   
■■ Mind Control   
■■ Telemin Performance   

erdana; font-size:9px">Get the deck planner used to make this table.>>>

That's about the same as the deck I have for it.  Don't run it often, but yah.  I prefer that over the Howling Mines and such, giving people cards is bad.

The XBL ranked leader boards work fine.  Best of all the systems.  Be BETTER if they actually matched yuo up, instead of picking what games you wanted to join....BUT, they do actually work. 
But if you run the turbo mill properly, they won't have enough time to actually use those extra cards to put together a win. Turbo mill basically means the opponent has 5 turns to put together a win, or it's game over.
But if you run the turbo mill properly, they won't have enough time to actually use those extra cards to put together a win. Turbo mill basically means the opponent has 5 turns to put together a win, or it's game over.

That's in a best case scenario (getting your one copy of Archive Trap and every other card you need) and the best decks in this format have no trouble winning in 5 turns (well, OD can be somewhat slow).

That's what I meant by it being bad because it's inconsistent.  If you run Rogue's Gallery properly, you can put together a turn 5 win.  That doesn't mean it consistently happens.

"90%" is a joke here but you know, out of the last 100 times I've played against Turbo Mill I think I've only been milled to death less than 10 times.  That's definitely inconsistent when compared to the number of times I've lost to a good Goblins or Chandra build.

yea sometimes there is those bad nights where it seems either me or my teamate get landscrewed every game, but thats just it though.  It was a bad night where luck was not with us.  Some people get so paranoid/superstitious about it though.

One teamate was trying to tell me.. he thought that some game designer on the other end of the server was holding back his land for some sort of revenge against him being unable to lose unless he gets land screwed or something!!! Or thinking that the game land screws us on purpose when playing against a 100 card deck to even the odds or something!! /tinfoil hat engage!!

people get super crazed when a 100card deck wins...i just don't get it. is 2timewarps out of 60 that much better then 2timewarps and timestrecth out of 100?? Saying omg hemust of just drew that timestrecth at the same time he drew that 10th land for some miracle win that was pure luck!! cause clearly my deck is designed better!! only way I can lose is do to bad luck!!etc.etc.

lets just keep telling ourselves that its only luck when the other guy wins!!!!but incredible skill when we win!!!