This Character seems too powerful, did I do something wrong

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
So I am newer to being DM and have been playing with my boys and their friend for a while.  Once I got a better. I decided to start fresh. I built all the characters for the party and built them so each would have a roll.  I thought it would be best this way so they could get right into the action and when they get comfortable with the game and their characters I'll let them build new ones for themselves.

The character below I built for the Controller role and didn't do any customization but this wizard seems to have a lot more options than the rest., and where the problems seem to surface is in the power attack section. He seems to have more than the rest of the group. Can you look it over and let me know what you think and if I should do anything to make it more on par with the rest of the party. 

Thanks in advance
LB

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Sorely, level 1
Eladrin, Wizard (Arcanist)
Build: Control Wizard
Arcane Implement Mastery Option: Tome of Readiness
Background Benefit: Among Another Race (Elf)
Birth - Among Another Race (Among Another Race (Elf))

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 10, CON 11, DEX 12, INT 20, WIS 14, CHA 8

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 10, CON 11, DEX 10, INT 18, WIS 14, CHA 8

AC: 15 Fort: 10 Ref: 15 Will: 15
HP: 21 Surges: 6 Surge Value: 5

TRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +12, Dungeoneering +7, History +12, Nature +9, Religion +10

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +1, Athletics +0, Bluff –1, Diplomacy –1, Endurance +0, Heal +2, Insight +2, Intimidate –1, Perception +2, Stealth +1, Streetwise –1, Thievery +1

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Eladrin Racial Power: Fey Step
Wizard Utility: Chameleon's Mask
Wizard Utility: Spook
Wizard Utility: Water Stride
Wizard Utility: Light
Wizard Attack 1: Icy Terrain
Wizard Attack 1: Summon Dust Devil
Wizard Attack 1: Arc Lightning
Wizard Attack 1: Thunderwave
Wizard Attack 1: Burning Hands
Wizard Attack 1: Sleep

FEATS
Level 1: Ritual Caster
Level 1: Armor Proficiency: Leather

ITEMS
Spellbook
Silence
Comrades' Succor
Wizard's Curtain
Leather Armor
Adventurer's Kit
Tome Implement x1
Longsword
====== End ======
This belongs more in the Character Optimization boards. Character Development is for storyline and other fluffy bits.
The wizard gains 4 'cantrips' as a class feature, utility powers with only limited use in combat. These will make it look like they have a longer power list than other characters. They also learn two daily powers each time other characters get one. However, as per the Arcanist's Spellbook class feature, they only prepare 1 at each level, making them no more powerful than other characters (although with a little extra flexibility).

I would suggest reading the Wizard section of the PHB again (or the Arcanist Class Compendium article from Dragon), to familiarise yourself with how they work. The Character Sheet and summary provided by the CB can be confusing sometimes, and work best as a reminder of the full rules. In this case, the power list might be longer, but they can't use them all at the same time, and several are mostly for out of combat use.

I hope that helps.
You did nothing wrong.  Your wizard won't have more powers, but instead will have more power options at the start of the day than the others.  It isn't overpowered, it is just how the class works.
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
Thank you.  I was on the fence about where to post this so my apologies.  Next time I'll know if i have future questions.  Thanks for the advise, I'll  do some more reading to get a better idea but I'm glad to know it's still okay.

LB
Actually, I think this is the proper forum for this question. Were this posted to Optimization, the poster would likely be taken to task for failing to optimize to the class's fullest potential. That said, the Rules forum is another option.
Thanks, most of my Q's go into  the Rules Forum because I have a lot of questions about how to process the rules of the powers.  I know that powers and spells have a specific and clear format but I still have trouble comprehending them in practical settings. Examples help me grasp them a lot better.

LB
Sign In to post comments