And... I'm back

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
So it's been a while - I stopped playing when my FLGS closed down (around the time that Lorwyn was released).  After picking up Magic 2013 for my iPad I think I'm going to get back into it.

I'm a bit worried that I'm too "old" though - being in my early 30s.  

I'm going to start by picking up some lots of commons and uncommons of the newer sets to get a good "base" and then just figure out what rares I care about.  

Any suggestions on good software for organizing a large collection and/or any apps that could be good (on iPad/iPhone) that can be used for telling the prices of cards? I'm assuming worst case I can just look up a card on starcity games or ebay to get a fair price.   
Welcome to ZomboniLand - My D&D Blog http://zomboniland.blogspot.com/
early 30s is not old ;)
but most shops have a wide variety of ages, I wouldn't worry too much about it

as for mobile software, I use MTG Familiar an Android (not sure if there is an iOS version)
it's free, it can look up prices and do other stuff like life counter.
it cannot do deck construction or organizing collections, but I don't need that
proud member of the 2011 community team
That one in particular does not seem to be available, but there are a few that I'll have to research more.

I think my biggest hurdle to get over is my current collection of cards need to be organized in some way.  I have about 13 large card boxes filled with cards spanning revised all the way up to Lorwyn.  

Past that I just need to re-introduce myself to the community here in CT, it's been a while and I know that sometimes magic players can be a bit too "competitive" during FNM and I'm going to start off as the odd man out trying to invade their store.

unless you want to go into older formats like Legacy or even Modern or want to sell the cards I'd say to ignore your current collection

there aren't that many reprints in Standard (because Core Sets are now only 50% reprints instead of 100% and there are less cards in them) so the chances of you being able to use your old cards at FNM are slim to none
I'll start with standard, since that's the most common.  I do eventually want to play Modern or legacy (there's another one, Vintage, right?).  
yes, Vintage is Legacy on steroids
I'm a bit worried that I'm too "old" though - being in my early 30s.

Heh heh. Ho hum. What to say...if 30 is old, I am ancient. The game is 20 years old this year, and a lot of players have stuck with it for a long time. The Return to Ravnica expansion set, in particular, seems to have brought back alot of players.

Any suggestions on good software for organizing a large collection and/or any apps that could be good (on iPad/iPhone) that can be used for telling the prices of cards? I'm assuming worst case I can just look up a card on starcity games or ebay to get a fair price.   

mtgprice.com uses a multitude of sources, but its tracking algorithm is not great. I usually use tcgplayer.com to price things out (this is like an ebay for trading card games).

I just need to re-introduce myself to the community here in CT, it's been a while and I know that sometimes magic players can be a bit too "competitive" during FNM and I'm going to start off as the odd man out trying to invade their store.

Do you have multiple stores to choose from? I have several within convenient driving distance, and I tried them all before I found one with a really fun group of players who were very welcoming. Now I feel the social part of FNM is almost as important as the playing and I was disappointed to miss yesterday due to the blizzard.