First time planned Deck

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi all,

this is a deck I'm thinking of getting and playing as my first deck.

Any thoughts?

24 Land:

17 Islands
6 Mountain
1 evolving winds

21 monsters:

X2 Talrand, sky summoner

x1 stormtide leviathan

x1 Harbour serpent

X3 Kraken hatchling

X3 wind drake

X1 Fog bank

1x Clone

X3 Jaces Phantasm

X2 archaeomancer

X2 Lord of Unreal

X2 Phantasmal image

15 Spells

X2 Telrands invocation

X1 Elixir of immortality

X1 Hydrosurge

X1 Negate

X1 Rewind

X1 Sleep

X1 Unsummon

X1 Downpour

X1 Index

X1 Mind sculpt

X1 Omniscience

X3 searing spear

my main aim would be to use Telrands abilities to spam with air drakes, and when theres enough cards in my oponents graveyard to use Jaces phantasm and the others, protected by the Lord of the Unreal. Any thoughts?

is this the blue intro pack from M13? 

~Your either my puppet or my matchstick~

color preferences (1st is fav and so on):

198732583 wrote:
Oh Ajani seems to like Elpheth's milk, meow.
is this the blue intro pack from M13? 

quite a few cards from it, but its been padded out quite a bit too.
the deck could be better...try having more cards like guttersnipe, sphinx-bone wand, and gelectrode because it looks like the theme here is casting lots of spells. you could replace some of the generic creatures like wind drake with stuff like wee dragonauts and kiln fiend. also isochron scepter is good in decks like these

peronally in a deck like this i would take out cards like sleep, index, and whatnot and add more removal like counters and bouncing. for some extra pizzazz you could always throw in some replicate

and you cam always steal your opponents stuff 

~Your either my puppet or my matchstick~

color preferences (1st is fav and so on):

198732583 wrote:
Oh Ajani seems to like Elpheth's milk, meow.
another good card for this eck would be runechanter's pike
the deck could be better...try having more cards like guttersnipe, sphinx-bone wand, and gelectrode because it looks like the theme here is casting lots of spells. you could replace some of the generic creatures like wind drake with stuff like wee dragonauts and kiln fiend. also isochron scepter is good in decks like these

peronally in a deck like this i would take out cards like sleep, index, and whatnot and add more removal like counters and bouncing. for some extra pizzazz you could always throw in some replicate

and you cam always steal your opponents stuff 

So if I dropped the drakes, index and sleep, and added guttersnipe, 2 essence backlashes, mindclaw shaman and kiln fiend, you'd say it was a better deck?

Also, on a side note, how do you link a cards name so that a card image comes up when you hover over it?
Hi there, welcome to the forums! That being said please auto card. Autocarding helps people see the cards you mention without having to look each one up individually. It saves time and energy when reading and understanding someone's decklist. 

How to autocard:
Show

[c]Blaze[/c] = Blaze

you can also...

[deck]
38 Relentless Rats
22 Swamp
[/deck]
=

Alright, that being said, to the deck...

If you want to utilize Talrand well, you're gonna want to cut down on the creatures in add in more instants and sorceries to get his effect off. This opens you up for a wide array of cards that also go with that theme like Wee Dragonauts (already mentioned), Kiln Fiend (also already mentioned) and Delver of Secrets (awesome beater,usually can flip next run with the right deck. 

Keep in mind that is you play with the 'replicate' ability (or any other Twincast type effect) then the copied spells don't activate Talrand or any other effect that gets activated when you 'cast' instants and sorceries. Allot of people thought a replicated Pyromatics would increase the activation if Gelectrode when both cards first came out... it didn't work then and it doesn't work now.

That being said, since you want to play around with specific creature you're gonna want to protect him in some way. Lightning Greaves and Swiftfoot Boots are great budget protection options. Ring of Evos Isle is another option and can work to protect your Talrand while at the same time making him bigger and out of range of board sweeping burn spells like Pyroclasm. Which by the way, you might want to get a few sweepers in here to fend off decks that are fast and try to kill you before you get your  Talrand engine going (ie Pyroclasm and similar spells).

I recommend Ponder for this deck. It digs for cards you need like Talrand and/or instants and sorceries, but it can also shuffle your deck when nothing good is coming your way (as opposed to Index.

Jilt is a classic two for one bounce/burn spell that is in color here. You might want to consider it. 

There was something else I wanted to add here, but I lost my train of thought... oh well.

Hope this helps. 

EDIT:  Now I remember, think about running Favorable Winds. It fits your theme and makes your army stronger.

How to autocard:

Show
[c]Blaze[/c] = Blaze

you can also...

[deck]

38 Relentless Rats

22 Swamp

[/deck]

=

Hi there, welcome to the forums! That being said please auto card. Autocarding helps people see the cards you mention without having to look each one up individually. It saves time and energy when reading and understanding someone's decklist. 

How to autocard:
Show

[c]Blaze[/c] = Blaze

you can also...

[deck]
38 Relentless Rats
22 Swamp
[/deck]
=

Alright, that being said, to the deck...

If you want to utilize Talrand well, you're gonna want to cut down on the creatures in add in more instants and sorceries to get his effect off. This opens you up for a wide array of cards that also go with that theme like Wee Dragonauts (already mentioned), Kiln Fiend (also already mentioned) and Delver of Secrets (awesome beater,usually can flip next run with the right deck. 

Keep in mind that is you play with the 'replicate' ability (or any other Twincast type effect) then the copied spells don't activate Talrand or any other effect that gets activated when you 'cast' instants and sorceries. Allot of people thought a replicated Pyromatics would increase the activation if Gelectrode when both cards first came out... it didn't work then and it doesn't work now.

That being said, since you want to play around with specific creature you're gonna want to protect him in some way. Lightning Greaves and Swiftfoot Boots are great budget protection options. Ring of Evos Isle is another option and can work to protect your Talrand while at the same time making him bigger and out of range of board sweeping burn spells like Pyroclasm. Which by the way, you might want to get a few sweepers in here to fend off decks that are fast and try to kill you before you get your  Talrand engine going (ie Pyroclasm and similar spells).

I recommend Ponder for this deck. It digs for cards you need like Talrand and/or instants and sorceries, but it can also shuffle your deck when nothing good is coming your way (as opposed to Index.

Jilt is a classic two for one bounce/burn spell that is in color here. You might want to consider it. 

There was something else I wanted to add here, but I lost my train of thought... oh well.

Hope this helps. 

EDIT:  Now I remember, think about running Favorable Winds. It fits your theme and makes your army stronger.

Wow, thanks for all the help

So, new list:

22 Land:

16 Islands
5 mountains
1 Evolving Wilds

17 Monsters:

2 Talrand, Sky Summoner
1 Stormtide Leviathan
1 Harbor Serpent
3 Kraken Hatchling
1 Guttersnipe
1 Fog bank
3 Jace's Phantasm
1 Archaeomancer
1 Lord of the Unreal
1 Phantasmal Image
1 Mindclaw Shaman
1 kiln fiend

21 Spells/Magic:

2 Talrand's Invocation
1 Elixir of Immortality
1 Hydrosurge
1 Negate
1 Rewind
2 Essence backlash
1 Unsummon
1 Downpour
1 Ring of Evos Isle
1 Mind Sculpt
1 Omniscience
3 Searing spear
2 Pyroclasm
1 Ponder
1 Jilt
1 Favorable Winds

I came to visit from the New and Returning Players Forum.

You are running a lot of cards in 1x and 2x copies instead of 3x or 4x. At your level of play this is usually a sign that you are building a deck around the card you have, instead of picking the best cards for your deck's theme.

For example, compare Archeomancer to Talrand, Sky Summoner, which both cost 4 mana. The former has a one-time enter the battlefield effect, and then is a rather weak 1/2 body. The latter creates a 2/2 flier every time you cast an instant or sorcery. You should consider taking away the former and running four of the latter. Guttersnipe is one of your better cards, so you should have 4x of him as well. This is known as the Rule of Nine: Very simplified, a magic deck consists of four copies of your nine best cards, and then 24 lands. This is a good intro article on the topic:

www.gatheringmagic.com/magic-the-classro...

Jace's Phantasm is good, but only if you have a way of quickly filling your opponents graveyard with cards. You should support him with 4x Mind Sculpt and, I'd say, at least one other milling card.
I came to visit from the New and Returning Players Forum.

You are running a lot of cards in 1x and 2x copies instead of 3x or 4x. At your level of play this is usually a sign that you are building a deck around the card you have, instead of picking the best cards for your deck's theme.

For example, compare Archeomancer to Talrand, Sky Summoner, which both cost 4 mana. The former has a one-time enter the battlefield effect, and then is a rather weak 1/2 body. The latter creates a 2/2 flier every time you cast an instant or sorcery. You should consider taking away the former and running four of the latter. Guttersnipe is one of your better cards, so you should have 4x of him as well. This is known as the Rule of Nine: Very simplified, a magic deck consists of four copies of your nine best cards, and then 24 lands. This is a good intro article on the topic:

www.gatheringmagic.com/magic-the-classro...

Jace's Phantasm is good, but only if you have a way of quickly filling your opponents graveyard with cards. You should support him with 4x Mind Sculpt and, I'd say, at least one other milling card.

thanks, its an interesting idea I think I'll have a go with the normal deck, and then experiment with the rule of 9 when I have enough funds to do so comfortably
On the mana I think a better split would be something like

13 islands
7 mountains
4 evolving wilds

The reason for this is that the deck relys on being able to cast the spells which cost 4 mana. Additionally you don't want to be without red mana to cast a searing spear when necessary. So I would increase the red sources and the total land count. 13 islands is plenty since all you really need is 2 island turn 4 and 3 on turn 8.

The casting cost of omniscience is too high for this deck. By the time you cast it you will not have any cards in hand and will have the mana to cast any cards you might draw so it's usefulness is diluted.

Other cards which can safely be cut are kraken hatchling, downpour and hydrosurge. I would add some more guttersnipe and some red burn options. Here is my reasoning:

Take the comparison of downpour or hydrosurge vs searing spear or lightning bolt. The casting costs are very similar. downpour is nice because it can tap multiple creatures preventing an attack from the opponent. There are some huge advantages that the burn spells have over the others. 1st it can target an opponent, meaning if you just need to deal those last few points of damage you can do that even if your opponent destroyed all of your creatures. 2nd it can destroy creatures. If it deals lethal damage to a creature then that is one less threat to worry about. Combine it with combat damage and you can take out some big threats in a more permanent fashion than downpour. Where this really shines is if your opponent is being oppressive with a particular creature like gaddock teeg preventing you from casting your talrand's invocation. In that situation downpour or hydrosurge won't help much.

There are rare occasions where downpour or hydrosurge will be better than searing spear but generally speaking in your decklist the searing spear is the better choice. Hopefully this advice helps out.
Don't be too smart to have fun