Golgari Aggro

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
I've been using this list at FNM for a while now, but of course I'm always looking for improvements. It took first place in two Standard tournaments, both in different shops, even before major modifications such as the 4x Predator Ooze addition and 3x Arbor Elf removal, and it took 3rd place in an FNM tonight, so I think it just needs some fine tuning.

My thoughts: It does really well against aggro decks, I've found--especially by packing Predator Ooze plus Tragic Slip and Abrupt Decay, I can pretty reliably get rid of those pesky Boros Reckoners that seem to be even in RDW nowadays. It struggles against any deck with Restoration Angel or Angel of Serenity in it, however...
I don't think Lotleth Troll is pulling much weight in this deck. He rarely ever gets above 2/1, mostly because I want to keep some of the creatures in my hand--and the creatures I usually do discard to him are other Lotleth Trolls. There have been wins that are directly on his hands though... one tonight was won by me being able to discard 3 creatures and swing for lethal. I'm unsure about him.
I'm also considering taking out the guildgates. I haven't had entirely too many problems with them, but it's frustrating to be hoping for a green source to cast a Predator Ooze next turn, only to be taunted by drawing a gate.
Howdy,

I would have to agree that Lotleth Troll is expendable. I would personally recommend more Deathrite Shaman's. That card broke me in a few games.

Where, if you don't mind me asking, is Corpsejack Menace? In this build, you're laughing ;)

Maybe another Vraska in the SB? One seems a bit pointless. She'd come in and die. Having another adds some help.

Hope this helps. 

Yeah, I think he would have a place in this deck, but for some reason or another, it still works fine without him. I can't very well get rid of the trolls and put in Corpsejacks without messing up the mana curve though, which would mean I'd switch out the Deadbridge Goliaths--and while I like to have a 5/5 for 4 and extra scavenge for later, I guess 4/4 may not be so bad, given Corpsejack's contribution.
I was also considering adding more Deathtouch sources--Nightshade Peddler or Wasteland Viper for example, so when I do fight stuff with Predator Ooze, he always gets fed.
I was also considering adding more Deathtouch sources--Nightshade Peddler or Wasteland Viper for example, so when I do fight stuff with Predator Ooze, he always gets fed.

Have you thought about Bloodrushing him? Ghor-Clan Rampager is an excellent card, and if you were in red you could Fling the Ooze for the win in the second main phase. Just a thought.
What do you think of this decklist?

Keep the Tragic Slip and Vampire Nighthawk in the sideboard and focus on bashing some face! Ulvenwald Tracker and Abrupt Decay should be enough mainboard removal in such an aggressive deck.