Soul Ransom vs Gruul Charm

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Let's say my opponent casts soul ransom on my rubblehulk, and gains control of it (it resolves). Then, I cast gruul charm, choosing to gain control of permanents I own. What happens to rubblehulk? I mean, it's still enchanted, right?
it's still enchanted
you get it back anyway
proud member of the 2011 community team
I guess I don't get it. The enchantment wording seems so... continual. I mean, madcap skills doesn't bestow its benefits just on resolution of the casting of the spell, right?
Gruul Charm creates a more recent control change effect that overwrites the one from Soul Ransom

what do you think happens when 2 different players cast Mind Control on a creature?
in that case it will also go to the most recent control change effect and not randomly switch between the controllers of the Mind Controls
proud member of the 2011 community team
The fact that Gruul Charm goes to the graveyard has no bearing on the "strength" of the control effect. Both Mind Control and Gruul Charm create a durational control effect (Mind control's is "As long as Mind control remains on the battlefield" and Gruul Charm's is "As long as the game hasn't ended"). They both have a duration, and when two conflicting effects of the same type apply to the same thing, the newest one always wins. 

Rules Advisor

Please autocard: [c]Shard Phoenix[/c] = Shard Phoenix.

So Krarks gets control of the rubblehulk, but his opponent still has control of the Soul Ransom.

Therefore Krarks is the one that would activate the last SR ability. (Discard 2 cards, etc.)  Well, Krarks and any other opponents if in a multiplayer.

Did I get that right?
So Krarks gets control of the rubblehulk, but his opponent still has control of the Soul Ransom.

Therefore Krarks is the one that would activate the last SR ability. (Discard 2 cards, etc.)  Well, Krarks and any other opponents if in a multiplayer.

Did I get that right?

Gruul Charm or not, Soul Ransom is always controlled by the player who cast it (unless there's a Confiscate involved), so the "any opponent" part means the opponents of Soul Ransom's controller, which never change with the Gruul Charm.
Sign In to post comments