Helping my Players build charecters

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
Can someone lead me to a step by step on how to build charecters in 4e...alot of my players are newbies and being a new DM myself I am not completely sure as to how to build a charecter completely...

Which books are you using? 

Basic structure is generate stats, pick a race, pick a class. pick at will/encounters/dailies,  pick skills, pick feats, pick items.

"In a way, you are worse than Krusk"                               " As usual, Krusk comments with assuredness, but lacks the clarity and awareness of what he's talking about"

"Can't say enough how much I agree with Krusk"        "Wow, thank you very much"

"Your advice is the worst"                                                  "I'd recommend no one listed to Krusk's opinions about what games to play"

I have gone through my manuals and have found nothing which gives me a step by step...the issue I am having is explaining to my players where they can find everything as i am even a bit foggy on fiding a few things...I understand that you roll for stats, pick your race, amd class, but for all the class/path/destiny featuers, as well as the feats some of my players are having an issue with finding the details so if i have a step by step then they will beable to know in what order to do everything, and I can go through the books and write down page numbers for them...or at least where abouts to find the info...

Sorry I am using the Players handbooks (1,2, and 3) for 4e
Players think of a character concept of what they want to play.
What race is most appropriate to their concept?
What class is most closest to the concept?

Once race and class is established, allow them to roll their 6 attributes: strength, dexterity, constitution, intelligence, wisdom and charisma.
How they roll their attributes is based on the method you allow.

Certain things are affected by the attributes rolled.
Saving throws, skills, hit points, armor class, initiative and so on...look them up on the character sheet.

The first few chapters of the Player's Handbook does explain this procedure (pages 4 to 31)

Classes are better explained starting form page 32.

4 Easy Steps:

1) Have the group chip in a few bucks each and get a group DDI account.
2) Login to said account open the online character builder.
3) Follow the steps in the builder. 
4) Print

FWIW [4e designer] baseline assumption was that roughly 70% of your feats would be put towards combat effectiveness, parties would coordinate, and strikers would do 20/40/60 at-will damage+novas. If your party isn't doing that... well, you are below baseline, so yes, you need to optimize slightly to meet baseline. -Alcestis
4 Easy Steps:

4) Print

+1
RIP George! 4-21-11 RIP Abie! 1-2-13
Funny Forum Quotes
[quote author=82733368 post=532127449]
58115148 wrote:
"You notice a large piece of mold clinging to your toothbrush. What do you do?" "I cast Fireball." "I run like hell!
63797881 wrote:
The standard d4 is somewhat (SOMEWHAT) rounded on the top, the older models are even flat. The Lego is shaped in such a way that in an emergency, you can use one as a makeshift surgical knife.
147742801 wrote:
57457938 wrote:
My wife asked me if her pants made her look fat. What do you think I said?
Wife: Do these pants make me look fat? RedSiegfried: I just killed a bunch of orc women and children.
63797881 wrote:
82733368 wrote:
28.) Making a "Drunken Master" style character (Monk or otherwise) does not require my character to be completely shitfaced, no matter what the name (and fun interpretation) implies.
29.) Making a "Drunken Master" style character does not require ME to be completely tanked, no matter how "in-character" I want to be..
4 Easy Steps:

4) Print

+1

+2 
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
I have gone through my manuals and have found nothing which gives me a step by step...

Go through PHB1 again. Chapter 2 is about creating characters. Page 29 has a big chart on when you get feats and stuff.

I will echo the others though and say the Character Builder is a really great resource and very much worth the cost.

The Players Handbook Page 14 has step by step instructions on what to do.

Some specifics:

Ability scores are on Page 17, your racial mods are in your races stat box in chapter 3

Each class box (In chapter 4) has a list of skills you can choose from and how many that class gets.

Everybody gets one feat except humans who get 2 (and some classes give bonus feats, these should be in that classes section in chapter 4)

Each Character gets 2 At-will Powers, one Encounter and one daily (unless specified otherwise)

As you go write all of your various numbers down in the boxes on the character sheet (use the standard WotC character sheets!) when you get each number pay atention to what type of bonus it is and put it in the correct box (Ability, feat, enhancement, class, proficiency and misc.)

Hope that helps.

The rest seem to have covered most of the issues, but there's one thought in there that'll cause serious problems: Using rolled stats in 4e is an alarmingly bad idea. The math doesn't work out, because any standard array is extremely unlikely to be rolled.
Read the appropriate handbooks on the CharOp forums for help on building PCs.
RIP George! 4-21-11 RIP Abie! 1-2-13
Funny Forum Quotes
[quote author=82733368 post=532127449]
58115148 wrote:
"You notice a large piece of mold clinging to your toothbrush. What do you do?" "I cast Fireball." "I run like hell!
63797881 wrote:
The standard d4 is somewhat (SOMEWHAT) rounded on the top, the older models are even flat. The Lego is shaped in such a way that in an emergency, you can use one as a makeshift surgical knife.
147742801 wrote:
57457938 wrote:
My wife asked me if her pants made her look fat. What do you think I said?
Wife: Do these pants make me look fat? RedSiegfried: I just killed a bunch of orc women and children.
63797881 wrote:
82733368 wrote:
28.) Making a "Drunken Master" style character (Monk or otherwise) does not require my character to be completely shitfaced, no matter what the name (and fun interpretation) implies.
29.) Making a "Drunken Master" style character does not require ME to be completely tanked, no matter how "in-character" I want to be..
Open up the 4e Player's Handbook.  Read chapter 2, "Making Characters", pages 12 through 31. 

Make special note of the step-by-step list on page 14, which also refers you to which other sections of the book you'll need to reference. 

Also make special note of the Character Advancement Table on page 29, which tells you when you gain features, feats, and powers. 

And please note that the total powers known column of that table refers only to class powers you gain from your class as you level up.  You can gain additional powers beyond those limits from other sources including, but not limited to, your race, class features, items, themes, and feats.
Thinking about creating a race for 4e? Make things a lil' easier on yourself by reading my Race Mechanic Creation Guide first.
I've removed content from this thread. Trolling/baiting is a violation of the Code of Conduct

You can review the Code of Conduct here: company.wizards.com/conduct

Please remember to keep your posts polite, on topic and refrain from personal attacks. You are free to disagree with one another as long as it is done in a respectful manner. 
Creating characters in 4e is really tough for a new player.  You have to remember that these are presumably brand new players who have very little context for any of the decisions that they have to make.

I would recommend skipping character creation altogether and going with pre-gens for a first 'learning' session.  Even one session will give you a much better understanding of the various choices that you go through when creating a character.  Here are a few sets of pre-gens:

dungeonsmaster.com/pre-generated-charact...

As a new DM I'd highly recommend that you play through a couple of encounters by yourself to help get your head around the rules as well.

The advice regarding a DDI sub is good - not just for character creation either; loads of stuff there to help make things easier for a new DM.

Good luck

*Edit: reference to deleted posts removed.   
Thank you I went through again and was able to find the step by step...I must have missed it in my excitement to start playing...
Sign In to post comments