The Raven Queen and Animism

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
I was wondering about literature on the Raven Queen pertaining to animism, particularly in the case of plants. Anyone got some insights into it that I could borrow for my character's interactions with a party member that is a hamadryad?

Also, where do dragons, red specifically, fit into the Raven Queen's domain? In the Draconomicon I see some are her agents. I haven't seen how the souls of the dragons interact with the Raven Queen. 

Concisely: I want a system where players don't have to pick between mechanics and roleplaying. I hope 5E fails asap so a better system can be made asap.

( I can't believe what they did to the forums. The sterile lack or color is rather depressing. )

Look up Morrigan, a celtic goddess that has Raven Queen written all over it.
A rogue with a bowl of slop can be a controller. WIZARD PC: Can I substitute Celestial Roc Guano for my fireball spells? DM: Awesome. Yes. When in doubt, take action.... that's generally the best course. Even Sun Tsu knew that, and he didn't have internets.
...you don't really seem to get how this whole "creative roleplaying game" thing works. None of that needlessly specific information was ever printed. Make something up.
This is a conversation to be having with your DM, as it is not the kind of information detailed in any of he books.

Personally, I don't believe the Raven Queen makes any distinction based on where the sould come from, she simply moves them on to where they are supposed to be. All things living things wither and die in their own time, even Dryads and their trees, so I see no reason for a follower of the Raven Queen to treat a Hamadryad any differently than any other eventual corpse.

And the souls of Hamadryads will pass beneath her wings, otherwise Hamadryad would not be a valid option for the Revenant Past Life trait.

Your DM, however, is free to fluff setting specific information as he sees fit, so he may have (probably) a different take on the Raven Queen than I do.

As for the dragons, Reds are no longer all evil. Some follow gods and ethos' other than Tiamat. Any dragon in service to the Raven Queen would probably be Unaligned (rather than Chaotic Evil) and a "native" of the Shadowfell.
Nothing has been specifically stated about this topic in the "official" text. Animism seems to fall under the purview of the primal classes. 

It's not exactly clear where primal spirits come from, but most humanoid races seem to be astral in nature (created by the gods) infused in natural forms, the Raven Queen seems to only harvest these souls, the ones created by the gods.

So in the absence of official fluff you are going to have to make it up yourself if this is a pressing issue in your campaign. 
As for Dragons they seem to interact exactly the same as any other god created race. Their souls are first brought to her dominion of Letherna before being judged and sent to the Astral dominion they deserve. Red Dragons have never been specifically mentioned far as I can tell.

Chronepsis (former dragon god of time) is now a Grey Dragon exarch of the Raven Queen viewed as impassionate and detached. The "Golden Architect" is a Gold dragon whose lair is a floating fotress nearby letherna but his exact relationship with the Raven Queen is unspecified.

They are mentioned in the chromatic and metallic Draconomicons respectively. 
Thanks MacEochaid! That helped a bunch. 

I will check out Morrigan too Sir_Joseph_the_Crowe. 

Thanks guys.

Concisely: I want a system where players don't have to pick between mechanics and roleplaying. I hope 5E fails asap so a better system can be made asap.

( I can't believe what they did to the forums. The sterile lack or color is rather depressing. )

Sign In to post comments