Gyre Sage question

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
If i play a Gyre Sage, then play a Elvish Archdruid, does the sage evolve, or does it become a 2/3 from the Archdruid and not evolve?

Thanks!
The moment the Archdruid enters the battlefield the gyre sage will become a 2/3.  Since that makes he evolve trigger condition false it will not trigger and the sage will not gain a counter.

DCI Level 2 Judge

Rockford, Illinois

Evolve won't trigger. Trigger conditions are checked right after an event happened, so the Archdruid is on the field and its ability applies already, making the Sage a 2/3 in that check.

I started up my next community draft in the limited forums. This time around the format is Zendikar/Worldwake/Rise of the Eldrazi. So if you like to draft, come by and share your thoughts.

CD2: General

My community draft experiment with DTK/DTK/FRF is concluded now. If you want to, you can check it out and maybe build some decks from the pools. I've already build my own take on that.

http://community.wizards.com/forum/limited-sealed-and-draft/threads/4206961

Once again aced the Rules Advisor test (Feb 2015). (I still make mistakes now and then, but who doesn't.)

"Simple questions" usually need rather complex answers, while complex questions often come down to no more than a simple "yes" or "no".

Ok so state based effects like the elf pump from Archdruid get checked before any ETB triggers like evolve then, that's the rule of thumb to remember...
The pump from Archdruid is a static ability, not a state based action.

It's not checked, just "always on."
The pump from Archdruid is a static ability, not a state based action.

It's not checked, just "always on."

Right, i gotta get my terminology down...
Sign In to post comments