Dragonborn, Tieflings and Humans stats suggestions.

I know this post is throwing about bait for trolls that hate the glut of monster races in 4e. I too hated how my players chose odd races and grumbled when I restrict them to the normal 3.5 races to fit a 'normal' fantasy world.  I am glad for the change to +1 from race and +1 from class as my players won't worry so much about finding the race that best fits the key class abilities.  Now a halfling cleric is workable, and my players won't clamor to play Devas or Minotaurs because the stats work.

That said, I would want to run a D&D next game that makes use of tieflings and dragonborns. This is a storyline that I hadn't been able to run through, and I want to try it in 5e because combat is quicker.  So, I would like to attempt racial stats for these, as well as an attempt to make Humans less bland.

Dragonborn

Speed:
30 feet
Vision: Normal
Languages: You can speak, read and write Common and Draconic

Echoes of the Ancestors: You have advantage with making checks related to information about dragons.
Dragonborn Fury: While you have less than 1/4 your hp and are concious, you gain advantage on all attack rolls.
Dragonborn weapon training: When you make an attack with a claw(unarmed attack), glaive, or spiked shield that you have proficiency with, the damage die increases by one step.

Dragon's Breath: Choose a damage type, acid, cold, fire, lightning or poison. Once per day you make an attack according to your damage type.
  Acid:
Each creature on a 30 foot line must make a Dexterity saving throw or take 2d6 acid damage
  Cold: Each creature in a 15 foot cone much make a Constitution saving throw or take 2d6 cold damage
  Fire: Each creature in a 15 foot cone must make a Dexterity saving throw or take 2d6 fire damage
  Lightning: Each creature on a 30 foot line must make a Dexterity saving throw or take 2d6 lighnting damage
  Poison: Each creature in a 15 foot cone must make a Constitution saving throw or take 2d6 poison damage

On a succesful save, the target takes half damage.
 4d6 at 5th level, 6d6 at 11th level, 8d6 at 16th level
DC save equals 10 + constitution modifier + attack modifier.

Subraces:

Highborn
Ability Score Adjustment:
Your starting Charisma increases by +1.
Dragonfear: Once per day, each living creature within 30 feet of you must make an opposed check, their Wisdom v. your Charisma. If they fail, you have advantage on attacks against them, and they have a disadvantage on saving throws against you. This effect last for 1d6 minutes or until the creature takes an action to end this condition with a wisdom save (DC 10+your charisma modifier). This is a fear effect.

Lowborn
Your starting Strength increases by +1
Ironhide: Once per day, when you would be hit by an attack, your AC increases to 2 + your Strength modifier for that attack only (not multiattacks). At 11th level, you gain the AC bonus for a one round.

Tiefling

Speed:
30 feet
Vision: Low-light
Languages: You can speak, read and write Common and Infernal
Tiefling weapon training:
When you attack with a whip, dart or scimitar with which you are proficient, the damage die increases by one step, 1d6, 1d6 and 1d10.
Hellborn:
You have advantage with making checks related to information about devils
Bathed in Fire: When hit by an attack with a fire keyword, or fail a saving throw against a spell with the fire keyword, you may make a constitution saving throw. If successful, you take half damage.
Sneaky: Once per day, you may have advantage to make a check to hide.  If you are wearing heavy armor, the disadvantage is instead negated.
Clever Tail:
You may carry objects up to one pound, or use thieve's tools with your tail.  You may not make attacks or cast a spell with your tail.

Subraces:

Hell Lord
Your starting Intelligence increases by +1.
Diabolic Transformation: Once per day, when you are hit by a critical attack, transform into a brutish fiend for 1d6 minutes. While you are in this form, you gain regeneration 2, you gain fire resistance, you gain a +2 bonus to damage rolls. If the criticial hit would have reduced you to 0HP or below, instead you are reduced to 1HP.  The Bonus to damage rolls increases to 4th level+5 8th Level +8 12th Level +11 18th level + 14.

Exile of the Abyss
Your starting Constitution increases by +1. Infernal Wrath: Once per day, when you are hit by and attack made from within 50 feet, the triggering enemy must make a dexterity saving throw (DC equals 10 + Con. Mod) or take 2d6 fire damage. This damage increase to 4d6 at 5th level,  6d6 at 11th level and 8d6 at 18th level. One a succesfull save, the target takes 1/2 damage.

Humans
Speed: 30 feet
Vision:
Normal
Languages: You can speak, read and write Common.

Human Weapon training: When you make an attack with a light crossbow, halberd or rapier that you are proficient with, your damage die increases by one step.
Second Wind: One per day, you can may spend your hit dice to regain HP.
Heroic Ability: Twice per day, if a melee, ranged or magical attack misses, add 1d6 to the result.
Survivor: You gain the survival skill. You have advantage on rolls to find food.

Subraces:

City Dweller
Your starting Dexterity increases by + 1. 
Melting Pot: You gain proficiency in two more langauges.

Village Dweller
Ability Score Adjustment: Your starting Wisdom increases by +1
Human Resolve: Once per day, when you fail two death saving throws, you gain a +5 bonus to your next saving throw.
Basing these DCs directly on level is going to make them too useless at lower levels and way too good at higher levels, so I'd definitely tweak those if I were you.

If you're interested, I did my own version of a D&D Next Dragonborn here.
Also, if you want Humans that aren't so bland, check out what I did with them here.

Why, yes, as a matter of fact I am the Unfailing Arbiter of All That Is Good Design (Even More So Than The Actual Developers) TM Speaking of things that were badly designed, please check out this thread for my Minotaur fix. What have the critics said, you ask? "If any of my players ask to play a Minotaur, I'm definitely offering this as an alternative to the official version." - EmpactWB "If I ever feel like playing a Minotaur I'll know where to look!" - Undrave "WoTC if you are reading this - please take this guy's advice." - Ferol_Debtor_of_Torm "Really full of win. A minotaur that is actually attractive for more than just melee classes." - Cpt_Micha Also, check out my recent GENASI variant! If you've ever wished that your Fire Genasi could actually set stuff on fire, your Water Genasi could actually swim, or your Wind Genasi could at least glide, then look no further. Finally, check out my OPTIONS FOR EVERYONE article, an effort to give unique support to the races that WotC keeps forgetting about. Includes new racial feature options for the Changeling, Deva, Githzerai, Gnoll, Gnome, Goliath, Half-Orc, Kalashtar, Minotaur, Shadar-Kai, Thri-Kreen, Warforged and more!

Moved to first post.

Dragonfear/Dragonbreath should be an independent choice from the Highborn/Lowborn subrace, in my opinion.
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
Basing these DCs directly on level is going to make them too useless at lower levels and way too good at higher levels, so I'd definitely tweak those if I were you.

If you're interested, I did my own version of a D&D Next Dragonborn here.
Also, if you want Humans that aren't so bland, check out what I did with them here.

Thanks for the input, Crimson_concerto.  I agree with you about the DCs.  I guess, they should probably go up by intervals, like they do in your version. Also, I think the damage should scale. Maybe 3d6 at 9th and 4d6 at 15.

I do like the Ancient Blood feature you have in your version of Dragonborn.
Thanks Mand12,

I know only having dragon's breath as subrace option is unpopular.  If I give dragon's breath or dragon's fear as a feature, what should the subrace options be?
DCs need to be bounded.  Perhaps they should be based on 10 + an ability score modifier.

In D&D Next, DCs are bounded by ability score mods although some might progress with magic attack bonus or weapon attack bonus.  Not sure these should apply to racial abilities though.

Since saves modifiers are bounded, low save DCs can still be effective at high levels as well. 

A DC 11 or turn to stone is still frightening to a 15th level character because  they still might miss.

Good work.

I prefer variety and availability of many new and exotic races.  In my mind, PCs can be unique.

My  preference is to divide each race into inherent characteristics (due to physiology, genetics), cultural characterists, and environmental characteristics.

Here is my example for races:
 community.wizards.com/kezzek/blog/2013/0...
I agree with Mand.  Why can't Echoes of the Ancestors be the highborn subracial ability and dragonborn fury the lowborn version.  (By the way, I really like "lowborn" and "highborn" as the subraces.)

Also, lowborn fury seems a bit weak.  how about

Dragonborn Fury: When you first fall below half your maximum hit points in a given day, you gain a +1 to attacks until the encounter ends.

I'm also not crazy about the Exile of the Abyss' Sneaky power.  It seems a bit bland.  i wish I couldd suggest a replacement.  Also, I think Infernal Wrath makes more sense for the high-Constitution tiefling.  The Intelligence-based tiefling subrace should get something more high-minded.
Why the fire resistance number? Resistant to fire means that they take half damage from fire by default this scales with level since damage goes up.

I also agree that the dragonborn subrace should have no bearing on if you have fear or dragon breath. Remove both Dragonborn Fury and the Weapon training and give them a breath weapon and something else based on color.

Subrace should determine breath type, and resistances. Black dragonborn get advantage on con checks for holding their breath, and swimming, reds get to fear, so on and so forth. To me, dragonborn abilities should be based around the subrace, and not the race general, color means everything. So you have a breath weapon, and something else from the corrisponding color. So Dragon knowledge skill all of them have, then dragonbreath/resistance, and then 2 other things based on color. Probably one since resistance and dragon breath are powerful enough to be 2 seperate things.

DC should be consistant with the rest of the game 10+Ability Mod I would say CON in breath weapons, and CHA for the fear effect. I would also consider turning the fear and breath attack into an opposed check, which would make it more attack like in nature. It should be opposed with CHA and not WIS in my opinion. Its a battle of wills.
Subrace should determine breath type, and resistances.

That's a lot of subraces!  You'd need one for every color, gem, and metal plus shadow.  

D&D next has avoided encounter based powers thus far I believe. The concept of an encounter is often hard to circumscribe.  Where one encounter ends and another begins is often difficult to pinpoint.

Perhaps this:

Dragonborn Fury: Once per day, as a reaction to an attack which puts you below half your maximum hit points, you gain a +1 to attacks. The fury has a duration of 2 turns + constitution modifier.

Should attacks be just weapon attacks or should magical attacks qualify? I guess there is no reason to hate on clerics and wizards.

Why the slower movement for dragonborn?  It also seems strange to have normal vision if you are descended from dragons. They should speak common as well.

Dragonborn

Inherent

Speed: 30 feet 
Dragonborn Fury: Once per day, as a reaction to an attack which puts you below half your maximum hit points, you gain a +1 to attacks. The fury has a duration of 2 turns + constitution modifier.
Vision: Low light vision

Cultural

Echoes of the Ancestors: You have advantage with making checks related to information about dragons
Languages: You can speak, read and write common and Draconic
Dragonborn weapon training: When you attack with a bastard sword, light crossbow or spiked shield with which you are proficient, the damage die increases by one step.

Environmental Subraces:

Highborn Celestial or Infernal descent
Ability Score Adjustment: Your starting Charisma increases by +1.
Dragonfear: Once per day, each living creature within 30 feet of you must make a Wisdom saving throw equal to 10 + Charisma modifier. On a failed save, you have advantage on attacks against them, and they have a disadvantage on saving throws against you. The creature make take an action to end this condition with a wisdom save.

Lowborn 
Ability Score Adjustment: Your starting Strength increases by +1
Dragon's Breath: Choose a damage type, acid, cold, fire, lightning or poison. Once per day you make an attack according to your damage type. DC of attack is equal to 10 + Con modifier

Acid: Each creature on a 30 foot line must make a Dexterity saving throw or take 2d6 acid damage
Cold: Each creature in a 25 foot cone much make a Constitution saving throw or take 2d6 cold damage
Fire: Each creature in a 25 foot cone must make a Dexterity saving throw or take 2d6 fire damage
Lightning: Each creature on a 30 foot line must make a Dexterity saving throw or take 2d6 lighnting damage
Poision: Each creature in a 25 foot cone must make a Constitution saving throw or take 2d6 poison damage

Players would take an environmental subrace.  Culture and physiology would allow mixing and matching to make hybrids or individuals raised in other cultures (Raised by humans or elves for example)

That's a lot of subraces!  You'd need one for every color, gem, and metal plus shadow.  

Indeed, or like anything, start with Chromatic, and move from there. You could also, since many of the types have the same resistances and breath types, combine them into one entry.

Yup.  And the initial release can start with the chromatics, and the rest can wait for the Draconomicon.

More races and subraces is always better.  The only limitation is page count.

Yup.  And the initial release can start with the chromatics, and the rest can wait for the Draconomicon.

More races and subraces is always better.  The only limitation is page count.

I agree that more customization is better but races and subraces can often be organized in a manner that is not very space intensive.  Gems, shadow, and others shouldn't take up more than another couple paragraphs in size.
DCs need to be bounded. Perhaps they should be based on 10 + an ability score modifier.

Basing them on any specific ability score is just going to lead to pigeon-holing and is compeltely unnecessary to begin with. I just started them out at a DC of 16 and bumped it up by one every four levels. I don't know about this packet, but during the packet where I came up with that, that approximated a the save DC for a Wizard's spells, assuming a starting INT of 20 and counting the save DC bumps that the Wizard got as it leveled up. The benefit to this is that any Dragonborn can use it effectively regardless of class or role or ability score allocation.

D&D next has avoided encounter based powers thus far I believe. The concept of an encounter is often hard to circumscribe. Where one encounter ends and another begins is often difficult to pinpoint.

Not really. It's pretty much "5 minutes or until you take a short rest, whichever comes first".

It may be best to avoid basing any racial features on ability scores. As I explained above, it can very easily lead to pigeon-holing, and we don't want or need that. This also, of course, applies to the save DCs you come up with further down.

Why, yes, as a matter of fact I am the Unfailing Arbiter of All That Is Good Design (Even More So Than The Actual Developers) TM Speaking of things that were badly designed, please check out this thread for my Minotaur fix. What have the critics said, you ask? "If any of my players ask to play a Minotaur, I'm definitely offering this as an alternative to the official version." - EmpactWB "If I ever feel like playing a Minotaur I'll know where to look!" - Undrave "WoTC if you are reading this - please take this guy's advice." - Ferol_Debtor_of_Torm "Really full of win. A minotaur that is actually attractive for more than just melee classes." - Cpt_Micha Also, check out my recent GENASI variant! If you've ever wished that your Fire Genasi could actually set stuff on fire, your Water Genasi could actually swim, or your Wind Genasi could at least glide, then look no further. Finally, check out my OPTIONS FOR EVERYONE article, an effort to give unique support to the races that WotC keeps forgetting about. Includes new racial feature options for the Changeling, Deva, Githzerai, Gnoll, Gnome, Goliath, Half-Orc, Kalashtar, Minotaur, Shadar-Kai, Thri-Kreen, Warforged and more!
Also weapon powers for races is a bad idea, because it eats up design space that could be used on cool abilities for a ho-hum abiliy that only gets used by weapon classes.
Why the fire resistance number? Resistant to fire means that they take half damage from fire by default this scales with level since damage goes up

Alynn -- Thanks for pointing out resistance for the tieflings.  I forgot that resistances worked different in this edition.

As for having a race resist one type of damage.  I think that is too powerful.  Imagine a DM sets up a Fire Giant dungeon.  A Dragonborn of fire or a tiefling would easily breeze through that dungeon.

I updated the resistance for my tieflings by to allow them to take a consitution saving throw after getting hit by or failing a saving throw for a fire power. If they make that, they'll gain resistance against that attack.

Call it partial resistance and allow an array of scores to be used?
DCs need to be bounded. Perhaps they should be based on 10 + an ability score modifier.

Basing them on any specific ability score is just going to lead to pigeon-holing and is compeltely unnecessary to begin with. I just started them out at a DC of 16 and bumped it up by one every four levels. I don't know about this packet, but during the packet where I came up with that, that approximated a the save DC for a Wizard's spells, assuming a starting INT of 20 and counting the save DC bumps that the Wizard got as it leveled up. The benefit to this is that any Dragonborn can use it effectively regardless of class or role or ability score allocation.

D&D next has avoided encounter based powers thus far I believe. The concept of an encounter is often hard to circumscribe. Where one encounter ends and another begins is often difficult to pinpoint.

Not really. It's pretty much "5 minutes or until you take a short rest, whichever comes first".

It may be best to avoid basing any racial features on ability scores. As I explained above, it can very easily lead to pigeon-holing, and we don't want or need that. This also, of course, applies to the save DCs you come up with further down.

You are probably right that basing a racial ability on an ability score is probably not the best idea but starting out at DC 16 and going upwards indefinitely is definite a bad idea.  

DCs need to be bounded.  Starting out at 16 is far too high.  That is the equivalent of a 22 ability score in comparison to monster DCs for their abilities (which appear to be based on ability scores)

Based on monster builds, racial abilities should be based on an ability score.  I realize you don't want to get stuck with multiple ability score dependency but some times players must decide what they want to concentrate on.

Also weapon powers for races is a bad idea, because it eats up design space that could be used on cool abilities for a ho-hum abiliy that only gets used by weapon classes.

Since elves, dwarves, and halfings all have weapon powers, I think new races (and humans as well) should all have specific weapon training based on culture.

I think that culture should be allowed to be selected independently of innate racial characteristics.

A dwarf raised by elves should be trained with bows.

If every race has one, it becomes a standard mechanic.  It also doesn't limit players if they decide to alter the character by selecting a different culture to customize the character.  It further allows for hybrids, half/breeds, and mixed upbringings. 
No it doesn't, no more so than any other ability.

Also it's not standard, part of the reason Humans are OP is that their big schtick is gear independent, while everyone else relies mostly on gear based powers. It'd probably still be OP if the other races had gear independent powers mind you, but it wouldn't be as bad.

Saying that 16 is too high doesn't mean that you have to use an ability score just use a 13 or a 12. 
Dragonborn

Speed:
30 feet
Echoes of the Ancestors: You gain the skill Knowledge (Dragons). You have advantage with this check.
Dragonborn Fury: While you have less than 5hp and are concious, you gain advantage on all attack rolls.
Dragon's Breath: Choose a damage type, acid, cold, fire, lightning or poison. Once per day you make an attack according to your damage type.
  Acid:
Each creature on a 30 foot line must make a Dexterity saving throw (DC equal to 10 + attack modifier) or take 2d6 acid damage
  Cold: Each creature in a 25 foot cone much make a Constitution saving throw (DC equal to 10 + attack modifier) or take 2d6 cold damage
  Fire: Each creature in a 25 foot cone must make a Dexterity saving throw (DC equal to 10+ attack modifier) or take 2d6 fire damage
  Lightning: Each creature on a 30 foot line must make a Dexterity saving throw (DC equal to 10+ attack modifier) or take 2d6 lighnting damage
  Poison: Each creature in a 25 foot cone must make a Constitution saving throw (DC equal to 10+ attack modifier) or take 2d6 poison damage

Dragon's Breath damage increase to 3d6 at 9th level and 4d6 at 18th level.

Subraces:

Chromatic Dragonborn
Ability Score Adjustment: Your starting Charisma increases by +1.
Dragonfear: Once per day, each living creature within 30 feet of you must make a Wisdom saving throw equal to 10 + your level. On a failed save, you have advantage on attacks against them, and they have a disadvantage on saving throws against you. This effect last for 1d6 minutes or until the creature make take an action to end this condition with a wisdom save. This is a fear effect.

Metal Dragonborn
Ironhide: Twice per day, when you would be hit by an attack, your AC increases to 2 + your Strength modifier for that attack only (not multiattacks). At 11th level, you gain the AC bonus for a single creature's multiattack.

I updated the Dragonborn extensively. 

1) I had originally set their speed at 25 feet.  I set it there because Dragonborns are so large.
Halflings have the same speed, but they don't wear heavy armor often.

2) I fixed the error I made with not including Common as a language.

3) I update Echo of the Ancestor to make it clearer.  It is now a skill.

4) I removed Draconic weapon training as none of the weapons seemed to match what a dragonborn would wield.  I like weapon training, and I think every race should have three. (It can be swapped out if you born among a different culture).

5) Draconic Fury has been update to give advanted to Dragonborns when near death.  I think giving bonuses with at 1/2 hp is a like too much like 4e.

6) Breath is now a racial power.  I change the DC to 10+ 'attack modifier'. That means the bonus you use to attack with. Strength for fighters, Int. for wizards. Spell casting bonus is not included.  The wording may need to be cleaned up.

7) The subraces are now split between Chromatic and Metal Dragonborns instead of the vague "Highborn/Lowborn".  I think you may be able to add a subracial effect for different colors, but I think that should be left for the draconomicon.

8) Metal dragons now get a temp AC boost to negate some attacks.   
The breath damage needs to scale.

What's wrong with using 4e's bloodied condition? if there's nothing mechanically wrong with the idea and it fits the concept why nix it? Especially since 5hp is going ot be an increasingly narrow window as the d-born levels up. 

Attack modifiers are not pre-set, not even by class, fighters can mix str and dex, and clerics can mix dex, wis, and str.

Primary ability score, or a scaling dc independent of socres are your best options.

INstead of the ironhide bonus going from one attack roll, to one attack sequence how about 1 attack roll to 1 round, that way it's more evenly useful between the various scenarios. 
Starting out at DC 16 and going upwards indefinitely is definite a bad idea.
DCs need to be bounded. Starting out at 16 is far too high. That is the equivalent of a 22 ability score in comparison to monster DCs for their abilities.

No, 16 is exactly perfect. It is the equivalent of starting with a 20 ability score (perfectly plausable) and being of a class (such as Wizard) that grants a bonus to your save DCs. Unless they changed something and Wizards no longer start out with a +1 bonus to the save DCs of their spells (which is possible, I don't have access to the latest packet at the moment), 16 is exactly right. 15 could also be gotten away with, but I wouldn't go much if any lower than that.

Based on monster builds, racial abilities should be based on an ability score. I realize you don't want to get stuck with multiple ability score dependency but some times players must decide what they want to concentrate on.

No, that is not an acceptable racial design philosophy. Races =/= Monsters. Going into them with the attitude that they are is just going to result in terrible imbalance and pigeon-holing, which we do not want in our PC races. We have plenty of races whose features all function completely independantly of ability scores. Introducing one whose power is dependant on ability score either means that (A) it is balanced with the best case scenario in mind, meaning that characters who don't pump the relevant ability score end up underpowered, (B) it is balanced assuming character won't pump the relevant ability score, meaning those characters that do will end up relatively overpowered. You simply cannot hope to properly balance a race whose features depend on ability scores with a race whose features are so independant, especially not in D&D Next with the way that its ability scores scale.

Since elves, dwarves, and halfings all have weapon powers, I think new races (and humans as well) should all have specific weapon training based on culture.

That the existing races do it is not a good excuse. The mistakes of existing races exist to be learned from, not repeated. ;)

Humans
Vision:
Normal

Skillful: Your gain one extra skill of your choice.
Human Weapon training: When you make an attack with a light crossbow, halberd or spear that you are proficient with, your damage die increases by one step.
Quick Learner: You gain an additional feat. 

Subraces:

City Dweller

Village Dweller
Master of their Trade: Your skill die is increase by one step (1d4 -> 1d6).    

Added Humans to the thread.

These kinds of features absolutely need to be avoided, as not all games will be using skills or feats, and even the games that do may not be using identical incarnations. Races in D&D Next can't gain bonus skills or bonus feats or skill bonuses or anything else of the sort. It's bad enough that they've been giving classes bonus skills.

No, 16 is exactly perfect. It is the equivalent of starting with a 20 ability score (perfectly plausable) and being of a class (such as Wizard) that grants a bonus to your save DCs. Unless they changed something and Wizards no longer start out with a +1 bonus to the save DCs of their spells (which is possible, I don't have access to the latest packet at the moment), 16 is exactly right. 15 could also be gotten away with, but I wouldn't go much if any lower than that.

Dex save with a 14 DC for the Fire Breath of a 15 Hit Dice red dragon.
Fire Breath for 1st level dragonborn should not be DC 16 and rising.

Saves are bounded in this edition (similar to accuracy).  They do not rise indefinitely.  They can always affect a target and can always miss.

Basing an ability for a 1st level creature by using the maximum possible ability score and going upwards seems like a poor choice.

That the existing races do it is not a good excuse. The mistakes of existing races exist to be learned from, not repeated. ;)

In your opinion, it is a mistake.  I don't consider it a mistake.  Cultural weapons is a fun edition to picking race.  Since weapons don't vary much, it gives a reason for different characters to prefer certain weapons based on cultural identity.
Since Knowledge (Dragons) is not a real Knowledge skill, I prefer your original wording.

I actually prefer the Highborn and lowborn.

Highborn would indicate a more intimate connection with Bahamut or Tiamat and the outer planes.

Lowborn would be connected with the more base dragons that survive by mere killing and plundering and gathering loot in the prime material plane.
DCs for racials don't need to go up, because of bounded accuracy.
No bonus skills or feats?  Hmm.  That makes things a bit more difficult.  I do have to say making class traits is more difficult than I expected.  I guess I got to give props to the designers. Of course, they get paid to do it. Do you have a link to the forum or article that explains why there can be no extra skills, feats or bonuses to both?

How about this?

Scratch Quick Learner and Skillful and Master of their Trade. In their place add these:

Heroic Ability: Twice per day, if a melee, ranged or magical attack misses, add 1d6 to the result.
Quick Metabolism: You have advantage for saving throws to recover from disease.

For the Village Dweller Subrace, add the following benefit:
Human Resolve: Once per day, when you fail two death saving throws, you gain a +5 bonus to your next saving throw.

Since Knowledge (Dragons) is not a real Knowledge skill, I prefer your original wording.

I actually prefer the Highborn and lowborn.

Highborn would indicate a more intimate connection with Bahamut or Tiamat and the outer planes.

Lowborn would be connected with the more base dragons that survive by mere killing and plundering and gathering loot in the prime material plane.

Thanks, kezzak.  I like the Highborn/Lowborn better as well. I'll change them back.
ONly if you start the DC higher then because higher level creatures do indeed have higher saves, Mand12.

What's wrong with using 4e's bloodied condition? if there's nothing mechanically wrong with the idea and it fits the concept why nix it? Especially since 5hp is going ot be an increasingly narrow window as the d-born levels up. 

Attack modifiers are not pre-set, not even by class, fighters can mix str and dex, and clerics can mix dex, wis, and str.

Primary ability score, or a scaling dc independent of socres are your best options.

INstead of the ironhide bonus going from one attack roll, to one attack sequence how about 1 attack roll to 1 round, that way it's more evenly useful between the various scenarios. 

Thanks for the feedback, rampant.

What I'd like for, when Dragonborns are near death, they fight much better.  I have no problems with the bloodied condition, but it doesn't fit the "near death" requirement.  I might change it to 1/4HP.  I'll have to do some math.

As for attack modifier, it should be the highest ability score. Or, perhaps the player can choose from Strength, Con or Dex. as they do for 4e.
More math.

I will probably change Dragon fear to an opposed check. I like your suggestion for Ironhide, and I will implement it.
If you do a 3 stat array I prefer con, cha, and str.

These kinds of features absolutely need to be avoided, as not all games will be using skills or feats, and even the games that do may not be using identical incarnations. Races in D&D Next can't gain bonus skills or bonus feats or skill bonuses or anything else of the sort. It's bad enough that they've been giving classes bonus skills.

I disagree.  Skills and feats will be in some form in simple games even if they are just pre-selected for a given class.

Dwaves are given a skill (knowledge dungeoneering) and a possible feat (Armor mastery)
Elves are given 2 skills (Spot and Listen), a possible feat (cantrip), and a possible skill bonus (wood elf grace)
Halfings are given 2 feat-like abilities (Fearless, Lucky) as well as a possible skill bonus (naturally stealthy)

Perhaps a specific feat or skill might be better (although that does seem to counteract the idea of the versatile human).  Skill die will likely be replaced by an ability die in some systems.  The fighter receives an extra die for all strength based checks instead of specific skills.  This would be a more generic system which eliminates skills entirely but still gives some bonus to each character.

In the animal world, humans actually have remarkable endurance.

Outside of dogs, very few animals can run for hours without stopping.  Prehistoric humans could outlast most of their competitors.  A mammoth, a deer, or a lion would be chased to exhaustion and killed with relative ease by the humans. 

Humans are not only versatile but they have a remarkable ability to outlast their competitors.
I actually thought it would be fun to give humans training in gunpowder weapons (muskets, pistols, and the like).

This would explain the general dominance of humans in the various worlds.

Unfortunately, most scenarios do not make significant use of gunpowder so it probably wouldn't fit well in a general setting.

Outside of dogs, very few animals can run for hours without stopping.  Prehistoric humans could outlast most of their competitors.  A mammoth, a deer, or a lion would be chased to exhaustion and killed with relative ease by the humans. 

Humans are not only versatile but they have a remarkable ability to outlast their competitors.

We alsol have a short term advantage in burst speed ... while horses for instance can reach a much higher speed we achieve our maximum speed in a far shorter span. 
  Creative Character Build Collection and The Magic of King's and Heros  also Can Martial Characters Fly? 

Improvisation in 4e: Fave 4E Improvisations - also Wrecans Guides to improvisation beyond page 42
The Non-combatant Adventurer (aka Princess build Warlord or LazyLord)
Reality is unrealistic - and even monkeys protest unfairness
Reflavoring the Fighter : The Wizard : The Swordmage - Creative Character Collection: Bloodwright (Darksun Character) 

At full hit points and still wounded to incapacitation? you are playing 1e.
By virtue of being a player your characters are the protagonists in a heroic fantasy game even at level one
"Wizards and Warriors need abilities with explicit effects for opposite reasons. With the wizard its because you need to create artificial limits on them, they have no natural ones and for the Warrior you need to grant permission to do awesome."

Actually, one of my players wanted a gun.  I could give him a Matchlock (or arquebus, its predecessor) 50 gp. 1d8 piercing (special). One a critical failure, the gun misfires makes an attack on its owner.  The gun must be repaired to be used again.

Then maybe humans can gain the survival skill as a racial feature instead of the disease buff.
I know this post is throwing about bait for trolls that hate the glut of monster races in 4e. I too hated how my players chose odd races and grumbled when I restrict them to the normal 3.5 races to fit a 'normal' fantasy world.  I am glad for the change to +1 from race and +1 from class as my players won't worry so much about finding the race that best fits the key class abilities.  Now a halfling cleric is workable, and my players won't clamor to play Devas or Minotaurs because the stats work.

That said, I would want to run a D&D next game that makes use of tieflings and dragonborns. This is a storyline that I hadn't been able to run through, and I want to try it in 5e because combat is quicker.  So, I would like to attempt racial stats for these, as well as an attempt to make Humans less bland.

Dragonborn

Speed:
30 feet

Echoes of the Ancestors: You have advantage with making checks related to information about dragons.
Dragonborn Fury: While you have less than 1/4 your hp and are concious, you gain advantage on all attack rolls.
Dragonborn weapon training: When you make an attack with a claw(unarmed attack), glaive, or spiked shield that you have proficiency with, the damage die increases by one step.

Acid:
Each creature on a 30 foot line must make a Dexterity saving throw or take 2d6 acid damage
  Cold: Each creature in a 25 foot cone much make a Constitution saving throw or take 2d6 cold damage
  Fire: Each creature in a 25 foot cone must make a Dexterity saving throw or take 2d6 fire damage
  Lightning: Each creature on a 30 foot line must make a Dexterity saving throw or take 2d6 lighnting damage
  Poison: Each creature in a 25 foot cone must make a Constitution saving throw or take 2d6 poison damage

Choose Strength, Con or Charisma at character creation.  The DC to save from your dragon's breath is (10 + that modifier). Dragon's Breath damage increases to 4d6 at 9th level and 6d6 at 18th level.

Subraces:

Highborn
Your starting Charisma increases by +1.
Dragonfear: Once per day, each living creature within 30 feet of you must make an opposed check, their Wisdom v. your Charisma. If they fail, you have advantage on attacks against them, and they have a disadvantage on saving throws against you. This effect last for 1d6 minutes or until the creature takes an action to end this condition with a wisdom save (DC 10+your charisma modifier). This is a fear effect.

Lowborn
Ironhide: Once per day, when you would be hit by an attack, your AC increases to 2 + your Strength modifier for that attack only (not multiattacks). At 11th level, you gain the AC bonus for a one round.

Tiefling

Speed:
30 feet
Vision: Low-light
Languages: You can speak, read and write Common and Infernal
Tiefling weapon training:
When you attack with a whip, dart or rapier with which you are proficient, the damage die increases by one step, 1d6, 1d6 and 1d10.
Hellborn:
You have advantage with making checks related to information about devils
Bathed in Fire: When hit by an attack with a fire keyword, or fail a saving throw against a spell with the fire keyword, you may make a constitution saving throw. If successful, you take half damage.
Sneaky: Once per day, you may have advantage to make a check to hide.  If you are wearing heavy armor, the disadvantage is instead negated.
Clever Tail:
You may carry objects up to one pound, or use thieve's tools with your tail.  You may not make attacks or cast a spell with your tail.

Subraces:

Hell Lord
Your starting Intelligence increases by +1.
Diabolic Transformation: Once per day, when you are hit by a critical attack, transform into a brutish fiend for 1d6 minutes. While you are in this form, you gain regeneration 2, you gain fire resistance, you gain a +2 bonus to damage rolls.

Exile of the Abyss
Your starting Constitution increases by +1. Infernal Wrath: Once per day, when you are hit by and attack made from within 50 feet, the triggering enemy must make a dexterity saving throw (DC equals 10 + Con. Mod) or take 2d6 fire damage. This damage increase to 3d6 at 9th level and 4d6 at 18th level.

Humans
Vision:
Normal

Human Weapon training: When you make an attack with a light crossbow, halberd or spear that you are proficient with, your damage die increases by one step.

Subraces:

City Dweller

Village Dweller

monster races have their place in the game world specific volumes they came from.  i do not want to see any races beyond the classic ones in the core rules. there can be rules for monsters as playable races in the monster guides as they have done in the past with other editions

Sign In to post comments