Forging The Realms: How Many Hidden Cults Is Too Many?

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Forging The Realms
How Many Hidden Cults Is Too Many?

By Ed Greenwood

Cults are cults, no matter what they worship or how they conduct themselves. Which of course means They Must Be Stopped.

Talk about this column here.

Ends Are Sometimes Better Left Loose

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

Not seeing this on the front page...??
Interesting read on cults and cultists!

Not seeing this on the front page...??

Its there when i look;

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

It are to many cults and secret societies when it gets to terry pratchett level.
where it is guite posible to burst in on the wrong  secret societies

players bust in a we found you evil spawn of the  Unique and Supreme Lodge of the Elucidated Brethren of the Ebon Night.
No no no we are the Supreme Lodge of the Enligtend Brothers of the dark Night we split off from the guys you looking for weeks ago the man in the robed leading the ceremony sais.
The  Unique and Supreme Lodge of the Elucidated Brethren of the Ebon Night secret lodge is 2 doors further down the ally.

It are to many cults and secret societies when it gets to terry pratchett level.

players bust in a we found you evil spawn of the  Unique and Supreme Lodge of the Elucidated Brethren of the Ebon Night.
No no no we are the Supreme Lodge of the Enligtend Brothers of the dark Night we split off from the guys you looking for weeks ago the man in the robed leading the ceremony sais.
The  Unique and Supreme Lodge of the Elucidated Brethren of the Ebon Night secret lodge is 2 doors further down the ally.

First, awesome Pratchett reference.

Second, I agree that at that point, one has discovered just how many secret cults is too many. However, I agree with Greenwood that until that point, the more cults the better. 

First, awesome Pratchett reference.

Second, I agree that at that point, one has discovered just how many secret cults is too many. However, I agree with Greenwood that until that point, the more cults the better. 

But more serous I think it depends on how far the world works on these cults being there.
So that you can decide witch you use in your campaign, and cutting one out doesen't make the fabrick of the campaign come apart
Considering that one is under no obligation to use all of them, or even any of them ... not really an issue.  It's your FR, or any campaign world.  If you don't like the Cult of Glyphrbywp, then it doesn't exist in your FR.
considering the size of the realms and its landspace is 2 planets i think there could be 10k cults and you would rarely run into them