Etched Champion+Equipment=Unstoppable (Mono-White Equipment Deck)

39 posts / 0 new
Last post
There is a lot of history behind this deck I'm trying to make. To say the least this was the first REAL magic deck ive seen, which basically the first magic deck i've seen that functions properly. When I firsted started playing all I had was crap cards and never even seen an uncommon before.

For the deck, I'm really trying to remember how it worked. The basics was essentially Stoneforge Mystic into some good equipment like Quietus Spike or Argentum Armor and attach it cheap to a Etched Champion using Puresteel Paladin.

Creatures: 19

Total Spells: 20

Equipment: 10
[deck]
4 Quietus Spike
3 Argentum Armor
2 Sword of Vengeance
1 Elbrus, the Binding Blade
[/deck]
Other Spells: 10
[deck]
4 Dispatch 
2 Path to Exile
4 Steelshaper's Gift
[/deck]
Land: 23
[deck]
4 Ancient Den
19 Plains
[/deck]

Problems: 1. A fast equipment deck like this seems to want to have cehap equipments, however, I don't remeber the guy i saw playing use any cheap equipments. What do you think? 2. I think im lacking emough cheap artifacts to activate Etched Champion's Metalcraft. 3. Who should be my secondary guy to equip and swing with? Porcelain Legionnaire or Hovermyr or Auriok Edgewright or Kor Duelist ?
Dude! Please Learn How to Autocard!
To Autocard individual cards type [c*]Into the Maw of Hell[/c*] and remove the asterisks to get Into the Maw of Hell or Stuffy Doll. Ta-Da! Autocarded! When Autocarding a deck type: Yay! Now people are actually look at your decklist properly and help you improve it! Excellent! You can tell that I love exclamation marks!
Basics to Building a Solid Deck
1. Try to run playsets of cards (meaning 4 of a card). This way your deck will win more consistently and you will draw your better cards more often. 2. Make sure to focus your deck on one single idea that can win you the game and make sure all the cards in your deck contribute to that idea. You have a limited number of cards so make sure all of them count. For example, your deck could be a Elf Tribal deck, an Aggro aggressive deck or maybe a Control deck. 3. Card advantage is very important. You need to understand that cards the draw you more cards are extremely helpful. The more cards you have in your hand the more options you have. With more options you have a greater chance at winning the game. 4. Removal is also quite important. Most decks more or less should run at least some removal. 5. Last but not least, make sure your deck is exactly 60 cards! Even 61 is not acceptable. Good luck in deck building!
This is pretty good. Your creature base is very good, excellent even. Honestly playing with Stoneforge Mystic is just plain mean as is metalcraft with artifact lands, but if you are going to do it, provided your budget allows it, do it right and run Sword of War and Peace along with Sword of Feast and Famine. Those cards are insane, especially for the protection you get. Your deck also runs very little white, so I would consider running more artifact lands, like Darksteel Citadel and if you really want to just be cheap you can run Cranial Plating.

I find Quietus Spike to be overrated, especially late game and Argentum Armor to be way to slow, even with Stoneforge Mystic.

This deck has no card draw or advantage aside from the Puresteel Paladin and I think it is going to be top decking pretty soon. That's why everytime I try to throw this deck together like this I stop because it's never consistent when I play test it. White doesn't have a ton of options, but considering you are playing Legacy or Vintage, you could run Land Tax, or Scroll Rack if they are in your budget. I am quite fond of Endless Horizons. Staff of Nin is cute, but probably too slow for what you are trying to do. You can go really old school and play Abeyance if you want, but it's not good enough in my opinion. Mind's Eye is also good, cute, probably still a little too slow though. I don't know, maybe the Puresteel Paladin is enough, it seems like it would get blown up a lot.

Edit: It's also worth noting this deck has no recursion, regeneration or indestuctibility which means a board wipe like Day of Judgment, Mutilate or Supreme Verdict will be very very painful, especially without card draw. Buried Ruin is a card I feel a lot of people sleep on, and here it gets Etched Champion and Porcelain Legionnaire back. I would consider running that for sure.
I don't bite, don't hesitate to message me if you have any questions or thoughts about deck ideas I post or anything Magic the Gathering related. My Causal Modern Decks Swag Flu (Mono Black Infect) http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29788619/Swag_Flu_(Mono_Black_Infect) American Super Friends (White/Blue/Red Planeswalker Control) http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29772319/American_Super_Friends_(Budget_WhiteBlueRed_Planeswalker_Control) Hong Kong (White/Red Norin Tokens)http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29636557/Hong_Kong_(WhiteRed_Norin_Tokens)
Yup, here comes HonorBasquiat with his suggestions to make sure this deck can handle every possible situation. Jokes aside, I put this into my playtester thing and its pretty darn inconsistent with expensive equipments. This is what i got now. 

Creatures: 19

Total Spells: 21

Equipment: 11
[deck]
3 Quietus Spike
4 Sword of Fire and Ice
4 Sword of War and Peace
[/deck]
Other Spells: 8
[deck]
4 Dispatch 
4 Steelshaper's Gift
[/deck]
[deck]
4 Ancient Den
4 Darksteel Citadel 
3 Buried Ruin
12 Plains
[/deck]

For card draw, I'm really contemplating howling mine which is strange but helps out for sword of War and Peace. However, im not running mill with Jace's Erasure so it dosent seem too good to me... Lastly, I always remember vigilance as a large part of this deck since being able to block with etched champion is pretty awesome. He use to joke around about enchanting the etched champion with an entagler and just block everyone without taking damage. :D

EDIT: Hovermyr for defensive edge in place of Porcelain Legionnaire?

To Autocard individual cards type [c*]Into the Maw of Hell[/c*] and remove the asterisks to get Into the Maw of Hell or Stuffy Doll. Ta-Da! Autocarded! When Autocarding a deck type: Yay! Now people are actually look at your decklist properly and help you improve it! Excellent! You can tell that I love exclamation marks!
1. Try to run playsets of cards (meaning 4 of a card). This way your deck will win more consistently and you will draw your better cards more often. 2. Make sure to focus your deck on one single idea that can win you the game and make sure all the cards in your deck contribute to that idea. You have a limited number of cards so make sure all of them count. For example, your deck could be a Elf Tribal deck, an Aggro aggressive deck or maybe a Control deck. 3. Card advantage is very important. You need to understand that cards the draw you more cards are extremely helpful. The more cards you have in your hand the more options you have. With more options you have a greater chance at winning the game. 4. Removal is also quite important. Most decks more or less should run at least some removal. 5. Last but not least, make sure your deck is exactly 60 cards! Even 61 is not acceptable. Good luck in deck building!
This may seem like a simpleton comment but is rather cloudshift my stoneforge than have a dispatch. Gives you a lot of toolboxing. Then you can run heavy handed equipment and get lots of draw off puresteel.

Since you have no recursion, second sunrise could be a clutch sb card vs sweepers.
I like the idea of blinking my stonforge mystic, however, doesnt steelshaper's gift do the same thing? My play group is much more casual than you guys so recursion is not really needed.

For my deck, I really want to establish etched champion + quietus spike as like the main focus right now.  
Steelshapers is almost the same. It can operate on it's own, while cloudshift cannot. But cloudshift can also act as spell shaper 5-8, go at instant speed, and allow other vital dudes to escape removal.
I think that unless you just really like the tutor aspect of it you could lose the mystics, without higher cost equipment it's just not pulling much wieght in here. There are 3 cards I have to point out that would work great here.

The first is that you said you were looking for a second creature to swing with, I like Auriok Sunchaser for this.

The second is an even cheaper equipment than your choices but that I feel is even better in some ways than the swords. While not granting Indestructability, Silverskin Armor when it equips to Leonin Abunas makes it as well as all your artifacts much harder to deal with. Also if you draw extras you can put them on paladin or mystic to protect them too.

Lastly while not as good as the paladin, Auriok Steelshaper lowers equip costs while pumping your Offensive guys.
You should be running 4 flayer husk and stoneforge should have at least one batterskull. Quietus spike is ok as a singleton since you have tutors.

On a similar note you should be running all singletons on equipment as a toolbox except for utility like flayer husk.

4 flayer husk
4 Puresteel Paladin
4 Stoneforge Mystic
4 Etched Champion
4 Porcelain Legionnaire or 4 esperzoa (one should be sideboarded)

1 Quietus Spike
1 Argentum Armor
1 Sword of Vengeance
1 batterskull

4 Dispatch
4 enlightened tutor You frequently want the creature not the equipment. Though more swords to plowshares is just as good.
4 remember the fallen most of what you want will be sitting in your gy.
1 intangible virtue (for the living weapon token creatures)

4 Ancient Den
4 seat of the synod
4 azorius chancery
some other duals or basics

You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
I like the idea of blinking my stonforge mystic, however, doesnt steelshaper's gift do the same thing? My play group is much more casual than you guys so recursion is not really needed.

For my deck, I really want to establish etched champion + quietus spike as like the main focus right now.  

Sword of Fire and Ice is a great choice. I don't think you need Hovermyr, this deck doesn't need defense. Quitus Spike really isn't that good, especially late game, because it doesn't really kill the player. It's especially bad on the champion because the deathtouch doesn't matter. 

Howling Mine is a card that I really like, but generally it's frowned upon to give your opponents extra cards, especially if it's a multiplayer game. I'm the type of player that would try it, but it could backfire.

For what it's worth I don't think I hit every situtation, lol. That's really fortunate that no one in your circle runs board wipes though.

If this is really true, about your play group being very casual, than you shouldn't be running this deck, it's just not fair, and not fun. Running multiple artifact lands with metalcraft and Stoneforge Mystic is really just evil. I mean, it's like running a Contamination deck. 
I don't bite, don't hesitate to message me if you have any questions or thoughts about deck ideas I post or anything Magic the Gathering related. My Causal Modern Decks Swag Flu (Mono Black Infect) http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29788619/Swag_Flu_(Mono_Black_Infect) American Super Friends (White/Blue/Red Planeswalker Control) http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29772319/American_Super_Friends_(Budget_WhiteBlueRed_Planeswalker_Control) Hong Kong (White/Red Norin Tokens)http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29636557/Hong_Kong_(WhiteRed_Norin_Tokens)
Leonin Shikari would be just amazing in this deck.

if you want a second creature to equip, I suggest Skyhunter Skirmisher.  Regardless of size, flying and souble strike is amazing with equipment
Lightning greaves is a very good cheap equipment.
First of all, my play group is hard to explain. Its more casual tham you guys but that dosent neccesarily mean the decks arent as good. There are defienty people running mass dectruction and what not, I'm just not too worried about recusrion. I defiently need but not to worried. This is what i got now. Still trying to comprehend all the suggetions. 

Creatures: 18

Total Spells: 26

[deck]
1 Argentum Armor
3 Batterskull
4 Flayer Husk
2 Sword of Fire and Ice
[/deck]
Other Spells: 14
[deck]
4 Dispatch 
4 Remember the Fallen
2 Steelshaper's Gift
4 Enlighted Tutor
[/deck]
[deck]
4 Ancient Den
4 Darksteel Citadel 
1 Buried Ruin
14 Plains
[/deck]

I totally forgot about living weapons. batterskull is perfect since it give a lot of P/T boost plus VIGILANCE! :D Leonin Shikari plus lightning greaves is a cool idea for pseudo-shroud for everyone and so is silverskin armor on my support guys with the Abunas out are all good ideas but seem sort of uncessary. Idk, correct me if im wrong. 
You are in desperate need of more turn 1 plays.

Argentum and Batterskull are both way too slow. 

I'd focus on having more cheap equipment to compliment your Etched Champion.
Keeping budget in mind I'd probably add 4x Leonin Scimitar and 4x Bonesplitter 

Not sold on Legionnaire or Abunas.  Both are too clunky and I think you'd rather see a Champion or equipment or disruption.

Depending on where you go with the deck Aether Vial might be something you want to try. 

Casual Play Archetypes | The Casual Play FAQ: A Guide to the Game of Magic | The Return of Group-Make-A-Deck!

Contributions are welcomed!

nogoblinsallowed.com

Join us!  

I actually suggested Leonin Shikari because with your Puresteel Paladins and Stoneforge Mystics he makes a really nasty combo (get an equipmet for , equip it for free at instant speed)

Having all three, or just Puresteel and Shikari means you can attack with several unequipped creatures and then attach an equipment to whatever doesn't get blocked for free.  Makes things like Elbrus and Quietus Spike a LOT scarier

EDIT:

also, for 1 drops, Auriok Glaivemaster and Kor Duelist seem like good choices 
If you want a 1 drop artifact, I personally love Vault Skirge. To be honest, I don't think a 1 drop is necessary here. That card is very good. I agree with tonyto3690 about Argentum and Batterskull being too slow, espsecially Argentum. That card is a junk rare.  Remember the Fallen is cute, but honestly running 4 Buried Ruin wouldn't mess up your land base and you could have 4 other slots in your actual deck for other stuff you might want.

If your play circle is more casual than a lot of the stuff you see here, then this deck is going to be mean and OP. There's a reason Stoneforge Mystic is banned in so many formats, same goes for the artifact lands. If you insist on doing it, and you want the deck to be unstoppable, there's no reason not to run Cranial Plating, it's just insane with the artifact lands and would practically be broken with Etched Champion

I don't think the Enlightened Tutors are needed here and they are really expensive if I recall.
mmhmmmm... @honor, if i ever happen to get my hands on this deck trust me, its going to do fine. Won't be smashing everyone. Post the new decklist soon.
Fine. I cut the Abunas and replaced it with the shikari and the lightning greaves which hopefully provide enough protection. Orginally, Abunas was suppose to be one of the core cards. Since im not running abunas, I could use something like the Kor Duelist or another nonartifact creature as the back up guy to be equiped since I dont think ill be drawing my champ too often. Idk, what do you guys think? 

Creatures: 20

Total Spells: 17

Equipment: 9
[deck]
4 Lightning Greaves
1 Sword of Vengeance
2 Cranial Plating
3 Sword of Fire and Ice
3 Sword of Light and Shadow
[/deck]
[deck]
4 Dispatch 
4 Steelshaper's Gift
[/deck]
[deck]
4 Ancient Den
4 Darksteel Citadel 
4 Buried Ruin
11 Plains
[/deck] 

If you are thinking there are no one drops, does flayer husk not count? and one drops arent need causing i want to setting up the mystics and paladins during the early turns. Btw, right now aether vial will not fit at all. 
Both steel shapers and stoneforge are tutors. That is 8 tutors, you do not need multiples of any equipment, and very nearly always will want equipment and creatures back from the graveyard. You DO want one batterskull, you just do not want 4. Argentum armor is fine when you can cheat it into play, just only run ONE.

If you are going to run cranial you should really run the 4 artifact black lands and a singleton skeleton shard

-3  Lightning Greaves
-2 Sword of Fire and Ice
-2 Sword of Light and Shadow

+1 argentum armor
+1 batterskull

+1 skeleton shard
+4 remember the fallen

Also if you are going to run tutors you might consider the black ones like vampiric tutor and demonic tutor. In many cases you will have plenty of equipment on the board and no creatures. Steelshapers gift can find a batterskull or flayer husk but sometimes you just really want your champion.
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
Agree.  If you're running 8 tutors you can afford to run a lot more one-of equipment like Elbrus. the Binding Blade, Batterskull and Argentum Armor.

Also remember your Puresteel Paladins let you draw cards for your equipment, so you have a LOT of ways to find your one-of cards.

I'd also run only 2 Darksteel Forge if you're going to run Buried Ruin.  You don't want too many of your mana sources to be colorless or you'll end up with Paladins in hand and no way to cast them, or something.

also you could run Treasure Hunter instead of Remember the Fallen.  He's strictly worse, to be sure, but he's also a creature which means he can be equipped.  Something to think about ;)
True that about tutors. I might as well screw the Caranial Plating and throwing in Swamp. and the forge is way to darn expensive at 9 mana. 
Creatures: 16

[deck]
4 Flayer Husk
1 Lightning Greaves
1 Batterskull
1 Argentum Armor
2 Cranial Plating
1 Sword of Fire and Ice
1 Sword of Light and Shadow
[/deck]
[deck]
4 Dispatch 
4 Vampiric Tutor
[/deck]
[deck]
4 Ancient Den
4 Vault of Whispers
4 Buried Ruin
2 Darksteel Citadel 
7 Plains
2 Swamps
[/deck]

Playtested with the deck a bit. The whole toolboxing with my equipment seems to be working pretty well. Wow, this deck has changed quite a bit.  
Updated the post ABOVE with the latest decklist.
True that about tutors. I might as well screw the Caranial Plating and throwing in Swamp. and the forge is way to darn expensive at 9 mana. 

Oops, sorry, I meant Darksteel Citadel, not forge.  Looks like you figured that out though haha
How does the decklist look?
Altered the decklist. Mr. Puresteel wasnt pulling in enough card draw.  Waiting for a reply. 

Creatures: 16

[deck]
4 Flayer Husk
1 Lightning Greaves
1 Batterskull
1 Argentum Armor
2 Cranial Plating
1 Sword of Fire and Ice
1 Sword of Light and Shadow
[/deck]
Other Spells: 10
[deck]
4 Dispatch 
4 Vampiric Tutor
2 Night's Whisper
[/deck]
[deck]
4 Ancient Den
4 Vault of Whispers
3 Buried Ruin
10 Plains
2 Swamps
[/deck]
Hello??
Depending how rampant / is, or I like him just for double strike, Mirran Crusader can act as a pseudo-Champion 5-8 with double strike. Plus he's very affordable ($1.50?)
Decks I run
Show
I currently run a deck for Standard, Modern, Commander and Legacy. For standard, I have a typical, horribly budget Rakdos Deck Wins. For Modern, I have a B/G/U/W Draw-go Reanimator featuring my favorite creature, Wurmcoil Engine. For Legacy, I'm trying too hard to break Pyromancer Ascension. I also run a Naya Zoo with all the oldies. For Commander/EDH, I'm running The Mimeoplasm. A little morals thing about me, I like winning through combos, but not infinitely. However quiet, I am a Christian, so feel free to tell me you are too, it's always a relief.
How to be saved?
Show
Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you shall be saved and your house. Book of Acts 16:31
Cheers!
i kno i dont know much about magic, but maybe, mask of memory
The crusader is awesome, however, i'm just keeping the champion as the guy to pump up. Where did everyone else go?
Why Vampiric Tutor?  Seems like a bit much.  Your Steelshaper's Gift idea seemed like it would have worked out better.

I can't help you much on the draw end.  Your deck wants to keep its creatures around, otherwise I'd suggest Skullclamp.  if you have the $$$$ you can always use good ol' Bob to draw cards.
Vampiric Tutor since sometimes i just need my champion to attach my equipment too. Steelshaper's Gift can help me with the equipment but not my champ. I want to run 4 Night's Whispers or Phyrexian Arenabut i cant seem to find room. btw, Mr. Confidant is nice but dosent seem to fit too nicely into tis deck. I'm not quite sure. 
personally I think Bob would be excellent in this deck.  He's fast, he's a creature, so he can be equipped, and he has a great ability that will help you more than Night's Whisper and is faster than Phyrexian Arena.

just proxy him in some test games or something and see how he works.  He's really expensive to buy, but there's a reason for that.  Your deck seems fast and aggressive enough to take advantage of him though. 
im just scared im going to draw either argentum armor or a batterskull. :/ Anways, i guess he will make the cut. Anythin. else?
im just scared im going to draw either argentum armor or a batterskull. :/ Anways, i guess he will make the cut. Anythin. else?

just don't Vampiric Tutor for those with Bob out and you probably won't.  That's one reason I prefer Steelshaper's Gift.  It tutors the card into your hand.  Those two would hurt though, but that's the chance you take playing Bob. 
Steelshaper's Gift is amazing, however, while playtesting I sometimes just need my Champion to equip my equipment to. Should I run demonic tutor instead? Jk lol 
how about Beseech the Queen?

meh, even that's kinda lame.  I tend to think that with enough creatures in the deck you won't always need a champion to win, especially with Sword of Fire and Ice and Sword of Light and Shadow in the deck which should serve the same purpose most of the time, unless you run into a LOT of green
Yeah, Anything with an Argentum armor is scary. What do you suggest I should do?
Well enlightened tutor is not restricted in anyway while vampiric tutor is. Of course because of this the enlightened tutor is ridiculously expensive while vampirc is very cheap.

I just assume your vampiric tutors are really just stand ins for enlightened. I just think of vampiric in this deck as a proxy.
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Yeah, you could say its a proxy.