Cheated by MTG DotP Return to Ravnica

25 posts / 0 new
Last post

I just downloaded the expansion for 2013 Duels of the Planeswalkers on Xbox 360.
I feel cheated that I paid to get cards and guilds from the Return to Ravnica series, but I get none of the abilities. Where's the "populate", "overload", "detain", "scavenge", or "unleash". Basically, Wizards gave us the colors and general idea of the guilds... but the best part is missing.

I feel scammed!

I won't be buying anymore expansions or future edition of Duels of The Planeswalkers on the xbox or any other format. 
You feel scammed that you didn't do any research into a product you purchased blindly hoping for something? Kay.
Close your eyes. Fly away. In the land where dreams, all are true. IMAGE(http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/distilledpoizn/StupidJefferson.jpg)
that's because the expansion came out before the actual set
proud member of the 2011 community team

I just downloaded the expansion for 2013 Duels of the Planeswalkers on Xbox 360.
I feel cheated that I paid to get cards and guilds from the Return to Ravnica series, but I get none of the abilities. Where's the "populate", "overload", "detain", "scavenge", or "unleash". Basically, Wizards gave us the colors and general idea of the guilds... but the best part is missing.

I feel scammed!

I won't be buying anymore expansions or future edition of Duels of The Planeswalkers on the xbox or any other format. 

Not to mention that the xbox game is published by stainless steel games (not wotc) and complaining about it here isn't even going to get your voice heard by anyone that could do anything about it.  

Learn from your mistakes....caveat emptor.

I also looked at the download and figured it was pretty pointless.  Nowhere does it say "guild magic deck" or anything that would suggest it was the most up-to-date mechanic filled deck.

Sorry you're disappointed....but if ya don't read what you're buying, you will be fairly often.   

I feel scammed!

Not to mention that the xbox game is published by stainless steel games (not wotc) and complaining about it here isn't even going to get your voice heard by anyone that could do anything about it. 

All of the deck designs for DotP are handled by Wizards R&D, as is much of the overall game design.  Stainless is mostly the one that builds it and programs it - their creative input outside of UI design is likely minimal (the player stats screen is an example of something that was their idea).  So this is the most appropriate place to raise criticisms on design decisions, in fact.

But anyway, as much as I would have liked to see a lot of the cards from RtR make it into the guild decks for this game, OP, it was short-sighted to assume they would.  They would also have needed to include Gatecrash cards in the deck pack decks to try to maintain some parity between them and the expansion guild decks (which they failed to do anyway by not giving them any promo unlocks, but that's beside the point), which would mean previewing more than they were probably comfortable with so long before the set came out, so I understand why they chose not to bother including any previews at all.  I also understand your disappointment, but the fact is you weren't really scammed, you just assumed too much.
I kind of agree with this guy.  I mean, it wasn't too long ago that there were others here complaining about the lack of RtR cards.  Given, this guy had the benefit of being able to look up the decklists at this point, and we didn't back then, but the sentiment is the same.  I won't go so far as to claim I'm not going to buy more of these products because of this oversight, but I can see why someone would.

In regards to the "that's because the expansion came out before the actual set."  They did it last year, promoing cards in last years set in DotP before they even came out.   They set the expectation.  Then they failed to deliver.

ps - ilvmymustang.  Ilvurname, that is, unless you're talking about a real horse.

You're a lose cannon.

"I played 70 card decks before it was cool to play 70 card decks." -Random M:tG hipster

Do some research before you make a purchase..

Damn the system and its hypocrites! You quit your quest and venture into the slums of the Gruul Clans!
Damn the system and its hypocrites! You quit your quest and venture into the slums of the Gruul Clans!
Take THE QUEST FOR RAVNICA today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

You guys are doing a real good job of making a new poster feel welcome to the forum.

You're a lose cannon.

"I played 70 card decks before it was cool to play 70 card decks." -Random M:tG hipster

You guys are doing a real good job of making a new poster feel welcome to the forum.

I think the ‘mildly excitable’ language of the OP is such that people are being a little bit less welcoming than they otherwise might have been.
Truth be told when I first heard about the Ravinca expansion I thought they were going to at least add in the pre-release promos just to help build up the excitement, with maybe a few un/commons with the guilds respective keywords. Of course the deck packs would've had to been delayed, but it could've worked.

You shouldn't feel cheated. They made no promises to the effect that you were looking for. You probably should feel disappointed, though.
Like sixty said, some of you have been jerks to a new member....
That's Kraven's job.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

Mastergear_Owen's take on Magic 2014 Campaign.

Show
You know what I've got more issues. Whats up with the story in this game? The adverts said I was going to team up with Chandra and we were going to kick butt and chew bubblegum across the planes on a revenge campaign against some... guy she knew I guess? Who's Ramaz anyway? What do I get instead? I beat Chandra like 2 minutes in with a mono-green stompy thing Garruk gave me (why does he keep giving all these new planeswalkers his deck) and then I spent like 5 hours jumping from plane to plane picking up random nicknacks for her mantlepiece while she sits back back doing her nails or something. I was thrown in jail! I got hit by a Roil Storm twice! Do you know how many rats are on Ravnica, Chandra? All of them! All of the rats! All of the rats eating me!

Then we go kick her Ex's bearded-screaming-butt and what does she do to help? Nothing! She throws of the occasional fire ball and spends her time trying not to freeze to death. You should have worn pants Chandra. While we're on the subject what happened to your shoes? You had like Steelies on. Steelies are cool. Now your running around with stupid boots with like 5-inch heels? Thats not appropriate footware for Planeswalking! That's not appropriate footware for normal walking! At least Liliana is doing it for the whole 'evil is sexy' thing and can summon undead to carry her when she breaks her ankle. What are you going to do ride a Phoenix? Its made of fire! You'll fall right through! Man I should have gone Planeswalking with Liliana - yeah she'd crack my head open with a rock 5 minutes in and raise my corpse to serve her but at least we could have gone dancing!

Now with more original content and open bar!

https://www.youtube.com/user/thedevilwuster

I look at it like this:

"Hmmm, I want some Cool Ranch Doritos..."
*goes to the store*
*goes to the chip section*
*grabs the first blue bag he sees*
*purchases it*
*goes home*
*eats a chip*
"SONUVAB***H! This isn't Cool Ranch, this is Sour Cream and Chives. I've been cheated!"
Close your eyes. Fly away. In the land where dreams, all are true. IMAGE(http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/distilledpoizn/StupidJefferson.jpg)
..."window.parent.tinyMCE.get('post_content').onLoad.dispatch();" contenteditable="true" />In regards to the "that's because the expansion came out before the actual set."  They did it last year, promoing cards in last years set in DotP before they even came out.

Even so, he was looking for the key abilities of the Guilds. Even if there were RtR cards, it's seriously doubtful anything featuring the abilities he mentioned would have been included. He quite possibly would have made this thread regardless.
I gotta say that I felt a little cheated and annoyed for a week right after I got the Ravnica expansion. Then I started reading up on the Ravnica sets and got more into paper Magic, and found out that I wasn't being cheated at all. One thing that is sort of annoying, sort of not, is that there are so many Eventide and Shadowmoor cards, rather than Ravnica/Guildpact/Dissension cards in the decks, and that decks like Aura Servants doesn't feel too much like an Azorius deck... oh well. 
Well, when Duels 2012 came out, people hacked the data in the game and discovered info for cards that had yet to be released.

This is not something Wizards likes at all, since they have a good feel for how to build the suspense during a spoiler season over the years, and this messed with that a bit.  Accordingly, you most likely won't see any cards released after summer of this year in the game.

But why can't Wizards/Stainless add the new data in with a patch or expansion later?  The real culprit in all of this is Microsoft's patch policy.

Wizards  (and everyone else who publishes games for XBL) gets one free patch, which still has to meet Microsoft's stringent certification policy.  On the surface it makes for nice quality control, but in reality, online games with DLC introduce new worlds of bugs, despite rigorous testing before release.  So even the "free" patch costs a good deal from an R&D standpoint.  Once that first patch is released, MS charges thousands for each additional patch on top of all those other inherent costs.

When you consider how a typical game's sales decline over time, it becomes extremely hard to ever justify a full patch (which could fix bugs and add more cards and modes) after the first.  It's the entire reason the release model is now main game -> expansion -> deck packs 1-3.  The core data for the deck packs is included with the expansion, which comes with that patch.

If other patches down the line cost the same as the first, you'd be much more likely to see newer cards introduced sooner in the Duels games, because Wizards could release those patches and additional content at roughly the same time as their paper versions.  Because that one patch hits in the early fall, though, they can't just add cards that won't be coming out until a set or two months into the future, again because of the risk of spoils.

The really bad part of all of this is that it bottlenecks the entire industry right now.  Developers can't really produce content across all platforms as freely as PSN, Steam, or even iOS exclusives now, because MS knows that people would get pissed in a hurry if competing platforms had exclusive content they couldn't get, even if it was only temporary.  The Duels series is just one in a sea of many which are adversely affected.
I 100% agree with what Jizzon said. Also, I think we should all know by now that Duels of the Planeswalker is simply a marketing tool for Magic. What they did was simply add decks that would foreshadow some of the functions on upcoming magic releases (like token deck foreshawdowing Populate.) They could have easily added the cards and function if they wanted, content limitations obiously stopped them. 
Well, when Duels 2012 came out, people hacked the data in the game and discovered info for cards that had yet to be released.

This is not something Wizards likes at all, since they have a good feel for how to build the suspense during a spoiler season over the years, and this messed with that a bit.  Accordingly, you most likely won't see any cards released after summer of this year in the game.

But why can't Wizards/Stainless add the new data in with a patch or expansion later?  The real culprit in all of this is Microsoft's patch policy.

Wizards  (and everyone else who publishes games for XBL) gets one free patch, which still has to meet Microsoft's stringent certification policy.  On the surface it makes for nice quality control, but in reality, online games with DLC introduce new worlds of bugs, despite rigorous testing before release.  So even the "free" patch costs a good deal from an R&D standpoint.  Once that first patch is released, MS charges thousands for each additional patch on top of all those other inherent costs.

When you consider how a typical game's sales decline over time, it becomes extremely hard to ever justify a full patch (which could fix bugs and add more cards and modes) after the first.  It's the entire reason the release model is now main game -> expansion -> deck packs 1-3.  The core data for the deck packs is included with the expansion, which comes with that patch.

If other patches down the line cost the same as the first, you'd be much more likely to see newer cards introduced sooner in the Duels games, because Wizards could release those patches and additional content at roughly the same time as their paper versions.  Because that one patch hits in the early fall, though, they can't just add cards that won't be coming out until a set or two months into the future, again because of the risk of spoils.

The really bad part of all of this is that it bottlenecks the entire industry right now.  Developers can't really produce content across all platforms as freely as PSN, Steam, or even iOS exclusives now, because MS knows that people would get pissed in a hurry if competing platforms had exclusive content they couldn't get, even if it was only temporary.  The Duels series is just one in a sea of many which are adversely affected.

I can agree to an extent.  However; they could have released some of the cards from RtR.  They preview/reveal a certain amount of cards before the release of any set.  They even preview and explain some of the new keywords if there are any in the new set, or they discuss the keywords they are bringing back if not.

It is a great opportunity for them (even a missed opportunity thus far) to allow players to play with a few of the new cards before the set is released.  This would bring in customers because now people are getting to play with something they haven't played with before, and can't play with anywhere else.  At least until the new set is released.  I can't claim to know exactly how their marketing department works, but this seems like an opportunity that they could be cashing in on, and are, currently, missing out on.

You're a lose cannon.

You shouldn't feel cheated. They made no promises to the effect that you were looking for. You probably should feel disappointed, though.

Exactly! 
I bought a can of mixed nuts today. It didn't include any bacon. I feel cheated.

Wizards: If it isn't game design, we can't do it right. Frankly, we're kind of shaky on the game design sometimes too.

I bought a can of mixed nuts today. It didn't include any bacon. I feel cheated.

And well you should.
I bought a can of mixed bacon, and man do I love it.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

Show
You know what I've got more issues. Whats up with the story in this game? The adverts said I was going to team up with Chandra and we were going to kick butt and chew bubblegum across the planes on a revenge campaign against some... guy she knew I guess? Who's Ramaz anyway? What do I get instead? I beat Chandra like 2 minutes in with a mono-green stompy thing Garruk gave me (why does he keep giving all these new planeswalkers his deck) and then I spent like 5 hours jumping from plane to plane picking up random nicknacks for her mantlepiece while she sits back back doing her nails or something. I was thrown in jail! I got hit by a Roil Storm twice! Do you know how many rats are on Ravnica, Chandra? All of them! All of the rats! All of the rats eating me!

Then we go kick her Ex's bearded-screaming-butt and what does she do to help? Nothing! She throws of the occasional fire ball and spends her time trying not to freeze to death. You should have worn pants Chandra. While we're on the subject what happened to your shoes? You had like Steelies on. Steelies are cool. Now your running around with stupid boots with like 5-inch heels? Thats not appropriate footware for Planeswalking! That's not appropriate footware for normal walking! At least Liliana is doing it for the whole 'evil is sexy' thing and can summon undead to carry her when she breaks her ankle. What are you going to do ride a Phoenix? Its made of fire! You'll fall right through! Man I should have gone Planeswalking with Liliana - yeah she'd crack my head open with a rock 5 minutes in and raise my corpse to serve her but at least we could have gone dancing!

Ah, mixed bacon.  One of the best ever Canadian inventions.  Normal bacon, some back bacon, some maple bacon and even a bit of that otherwise horrifying concept turkey bacon, just for a touch of change.  Available in a single can for your snacking pleasure!
Oh man....Mixed Bacon??? I MUST procure some. It would go perfect with the bags of orange soda you can buy down here...
Oh man....Mixed Bacon??? I MUST procure some. It would go perfect with the bags of orange soda you can buy down here...

Call me a child of the 70's and 80's, but I believe that where you live that you might need this.

Show

Sign In to post comments