ELEPHANTS!

24 posts / 0 new
Last post
Formal Name Change- I introduce you to:

Heffalumps and Woozles

ELEPHANTS! THEY ARE BIG AND HAVE LARGE EARS THAT ALLOW THEM TO FLY!!!

(at)MrEnglish22

Right off the bat, doom blade sucks, to many blades, arbor elf.

Needs more disruption like discard, and maybe some draw.

I could go more into it if you autocard.
Decks I play
Show
Legacy TezzFinityLegacy BurnModern Infect(need to break it) T2-dead
[sblock]
57307308 wrote:
Yes, but DOES HE PEE COLOURLESS MANA?
144543765 wrote:
144018173 wrote:
Serra Angel Serra Sphinx Serra Spider Though Vigilance is a poor fit for red, so I'm not sure if we'll ever see Serra Dragon. I could see Serra Demon, though.
Black Serra creature would have vigilance and fear. It would basically be Batman.
[//sblock]
Right off the bat, doom blade sucks, to many blades, arbor elf.

Needs more disruption like discard, and maybe some draw.

I could go more into it if you autocard.

You mean you don't know what all these cards do off the top of your head? Lordy.

Anywho, the deck is rather rough, and isn't what I'm playing tomorrow (if I had thought about Rhox War Monk before yesterday, I might be playing 4-color)
Doom Blade should obviously be Dismember, Loxodon Heirarch should probably become Obsinate Baloth (makes mana a bit easier, and has that nifty discard-proof ability for opposing Lili's), and there definitely needs to be more Duress (Junk deck for tomorrow is running 3), probably cutting the Arbor Elves and a sword

(at)MrEnglish22

YEs I know what every elephant card in the world does, thats why we have [*c][*c/] tags.
Decks I play
Show
[sblock]
57307308 wrote:
144543765 wrote:
144018173 wrote:
Serra Angel Serra Sphinx Serra Spider Though Vigilance is a poor fit for red, so I'm not sure if we'll ever see Serra Dragon. I could see Serra Demon, though.
Black Serra creature would have vigilance and fear. It would basically be Batman.
[//sblock]
YEs I know what every elephant card in the world does, thats why we have [*c][*c/] tags.

Dude, if you know what every Elephant in the world does, why do you need card tags?
Smiter is a 4/4 for 3, Heirarch is Obstinate Baloth (4/4 that gains 4) and Rhox War Monk is a 3/4 lifelink for WUB

They all saw tournament play in their times.

But to make you feel better, I'll /deck it 

(at)MrEnglish22

This deck blows. No Call of the Herd. 
I know right Shadow?

Anyway, here's an updated list:

2 SoFI
3 SoFaF

4 Rhox War Monk
4 Noble Hierarch
3 Loxodon Herarch
4 Deathrite Shaman
4 Loxodon Smiter

3 Dismember
3 Path to Exile

1 Hallowed Fountain
1 Island
1 Swamp
1 Plains
1 Forest
2 Godless Shrine
3 Overgrown Tomb
1 Breeding Pool
3 Marsh Flats 

(at)MrEnglish22

I think 5 swords are just way too many. I think 3 swords are where you want to be. Even then I'd want 2 swords and a jitte but you know... 

4 Path seems right, 2 dismember seems right. Beast Within might be the catchall spell you want. 

I don't like the clutter at 3. I mean hopefully you're going to ramp to 3 on t2 every time but still. On the draw this deck just seems dead in the water.  
I think 5 swords are just way too many. I think 3 swords are where you want to be. Even then I'd want 2 swords and a jitte but you know... 

4 Path seems right, 2 dismember seems right. Beast Within might be the catchall spell you want. 

I don't like the clutter at 3. I mean hopefully you're going to ramp to 3 on t2 every time but still. On the draw this deck just seems dead in the water.  

Well fun anecdote- mullgianed to 5, kept a no lander with Leyline of Sanctity against mono-red burn. Managed to draw into lands to cast Rhox War Monk. Won that game.

I've not been seeing the swords enough IMO. They're really nice when I have them most of the time.
Agree with the clout on 3, but a lot of that is swords. I'm thinking I'll cut a SoFI, or at least move it to the SB. Feast and Famine is good against Tarmo, and the Discard has proven to be amazing. I'm a little hesitant to cut too much of it. Maybe a War Monk as well. But then the question becomes, what do I add?
Kitchen Finks needs to leave the SB. Burn isn't a problem matchup. Think that Abrubt Decay needs to make an appearance.
Beast Within might be good-helps me hit Tron. 

Also, when my girlfriend saw me playing on Cockatrice, she wanted me to name this deck "Heffalumps and Woozles." I approve of this name.

(at)MrEnglish22

With a one mana removal spell having a 2 mana creature might be the way to go. Dark Confidant maybe to give you gas. 

Obviously I haven't played the deck but for other decks you don't want multiple pieces of equipment. 4 feels alrght too. As I grow as a magic player I learn that comfort is important in deck building. If you're a tight player you'll find certain numbers work better for you than maybe somebody else.

Abrupt Decay feels good here. I really like spot removal in general. Maybe some number of Thoughtsieze or Inquisition of Kozilek but only if you play Bobs.  
I would only go for 3 equips at most, a sword of x n y jitte and maybe a batterskull.
Decks I play
Show
[sblock]
57307308 wrote:
144543765 wrote:
144018173 wrote:
[//sblock]
With a one mana removal spell having a 2 mana creature might be the way to go. Dark Confidant maybe to give you gas. 

Obviously I haven't played the deck but for other decks you don't want multiple pieces of equipment. 4 feels alrght too. As I grow as a magic player I learn that comfort is important in deck building. If you're a tight player you'll find certain numbers work better for you than maybe somebody else.

Abrupt Decay feels good here. I really like spot removal in general. Maybe some number of Thoughtsieze or Inquisition of Kozilek but only if you play Bobs.  

Abrupt Decay ended up in the sideboard. Ended up with 3 swords, 1 FaF 1 LoS and 1 **** Next post I'll give a short write-up of what happened yesterday (Spoilers: I beat myself)

I would only go for 3 equips at most, a sword of x n y jitte and maybe a batterskull.

Jitte is banned, or I would just run 7 Jitte and a bunch of 1-drop dudes. 

(at)MrEnglish22

Okay, so PTQ was yesterday. The guy who has a playset of Caverns didn't show up before I had already written up my deck registry, so my mana base was a lot different than it is up above. Due to other card availability/looking around at people playing before the tournament, I realized there were a lot of people playing white, and a good amount of red-based aggro, and many Eggs players. So here's what I submitted:

4 Loxodon Smiter
4 Rhox War Monk
3 Loxodon Heirarch
4 Noble Heirarch
4 Deathrite Shaman

2 Dismember
4 Path to Exile

3 Duress
3 Lingering Souls

1 Sword of Feast and Famine
1 Sword of Light and Shadow
1 Sword of War and Peace

4 Misty Rainforest
3 Verdant Catacombs
1 Marsh Flats (could have run more, but I chose not to for a few meaningless reasons)
3 Overgrown Tomb
1 Hallowed Fountain
1 Breeding Pool
1 Watery Grave
2 Temple Garden
3 Godless Shrine
2 Forest
1 Island
1 Plains
1 Swamp
2 Treetop Village

Sideboard:
3 Abrubt Decay
3 Supression Field
2 Blind Obedience
2 Qasali Pridemage
2 Surgical Extraction
2 Leyline of Sanctity
1 Wurmcoil Engine

Round 1: UWR Midrange
Ran Lightning Helix, Mana Leak, Remand, Geist, Snapcaster. Might have had more, but thats all I relly remember
Game 1- The fact that he had to 2-for-1 all of my attacking creatures led to him having an empty hand real fast. Despite the fact that he was able to Clique away 2 of my Loxodon Smiters, it wasn't enough for him to beat me. Sided in Surgical Extraction to hit his bolts and Helixes, because without them he virtually couldn't kill my creatures, and side in Blind Obedience to give me some reach and make his Flash dudes unable to block as well.
Game 2- I have a bit of a slower start, and he drops a turn 3 geist. I never drew a big creature and his geist killed me in three swings as I stared at the two Path to Exile in my hand.
Game 3- I start with a T2 Smiter, and he tries to Snapcaster/bolt the Smiter. Snapcaster meets Dismember, and from there I just bring the beats. He eventually stabilizes and gets out enough mana to activate his colonnades, but he's only at 5 life and I have a Rhox Faithmender and BO in play. He decides to go on the offensive, and I topdeck a Sword to kill him. Didn't matter, because I had double path in my hand so I could have just swung and double extort, but won that turn, which was nice.

1-0

Round 2: Red-based aggro
Game 1- keep a slower 4 land hand, and regret it immediately when he bolts and paths my first three dudes. He then drops a reckoner and has two more bolts to kill me off. End the game with 6 lands in play and 2 in hand. Sided in Abrubt Decay, Leyline, and BO
Game 2- This time, I keep a hand with 3 land and double Rhox War Monk. Obviously, both the War Monks get pathed, and I ended the game with 6 lands in play and never drawing another creature facing down his double reckoners.

1-1

Round 3: Eggs
Game 1- I can do nothing, and he goes off on turn 4. Dream about puppies as he spends ten minutes to kill me (didn't actually dream about puppies. Side in literally every card in my sideboard except Wurmcoil Engine.
Game 2- Turn 2 Supression Field, Turn 3 Blind Obedience, Turn 4 Lingering Souls T5 Flashback. He loses.
Game 3- I keep a one-land hand with double Surgical Extraction and a Heirarch. He tries to go off T3 with 2 Chromatic Star two Lotus Bloom (he reshaped for one) but I surgical the Bloom and Stars. First mistake this game, as I should have just hit the Sunrise once it resolved. He uses a Pyrite Spellbomb to kill my Noble, and I don't draw any more lands for another 5 turns, and I lose on his turn 9 with only three lands in play and a Rhox War Monk. Second mistake (if you want to look at it that way) I made- when he started going off, he went to sacrifice his Elswhere Flasks to Sunrise them with Ghost Quarter in play. Being the good guy I am, I stop him from doing it and call a judge to clarify that he wouldn't be able to use his Ghost Quarters if he sacs the Flasks first (I'm obv right). If I had waited for him to try and use the Ghost Quarters, it would have kept him from going off nearly as easy, as he wouldn't have been able to shuffle his Sunrises out from the bottom of his library (assuming he could have gone off at all). If at any point I had had a 4th land, I could have won but that's Magic.

So, I lost a round to the deck I was most confident playing against this weekend. 1-2 

Round 4: Windbrisk Heights WBG brew
Game 1- He plays some token cards, does some random stuff that I'm not too sure mattered, like Deathrite Shaman. I beat him to death with Elephants as he spent the entire game on the defensive. Sided in supression field and abrubt decay, with the goal of keeping from using his Windbrisk Heights.
Game 2- He ramps into a Primeval Titan and proceeds to beat the hell out of me with it.
Game 3- T1 Heirarch, T2 Heirarch, T3 Sword Equip, T4 Supression Field. His only chance to kill me was if he had a white source on T3 so he could activate Windbrisk, but he didn't have it (I had the option to T3 Supression Field, but then I couldn't have cast and Equipped Sword realistically). I never played another card the rest of the game.

2-2

Round 4: Scapeshift
Figures I would play against the one and only deck I didn't test against, becuase I didn't expect anyone to play it. Welcome to the loser's bracket, I guess.
Game 1- super fast Primeval Titan that pulled out Kessig Wolf Run. Didn't draw a Path. Put in Blind Obedience to try and give me more of a life total padding for when he shifted the scapes.
Game 2- Had him dead on board, and he scapeshifted for exactsies after top decking a land.

2-3, dropped to draft

So, I feel like the deck did well, and I think it would have been a very different day if I had played correctly against Eggs and drawn better against the red deck. The manabase being a little off never mattered, but I definitely wish I had played more Swords. In the future, I'll probably cut 2 land to add in some more swords.
Duress was never blanked, Swords were relevant the two times I drew them, Blind Obedience was everything I dreamed of and more and 4/4 is actually really big in Modern.

(at)MrEnglish22

4/4's are nice because in modern that means it's usually bigger than a goyf. 

Sucks that you didn't do better. There will always be kids playing bad red decks that will randomly get you. Nothing you can do about that. 

Also, you suck for losing to eggs and that guy sucks for playing eggs. That deck is so awful.  

I know Thrun isn't an Elephant but it probably would have been good for you with all of the spot removal you played against. Worth trying a copy or two and see where it gets you. 
4/4's are nice because in modern that means it's usually bigger than a goyf. 

Sucks that you didn't do better. There will always be kids playing bad red decks that will randomly get you. Nothing you can do about that. 

Also, you suck for losing to eggs and that guy sucks for playing eggs. That deck is so awful.  

I know Thrun isn't an Elephant but it probably would have been good for you with all of the spot removal you played against. Worth trying a copy or two and see where it gets you. 

The guy actually drove from Ashville NC (about 5 1/2 hours drive) to play, and the deck seemed like a good boros deck. I think he might have splashed black for Bob too, but I never really saw that. I think he might have ended up top 16 (out of 87, which was lower than the last one I played in) so I didn't feel too bad for losing to him, especially considering my friend I drove up with lost to him too.

Yeah, eggs is a pain. There were at least 5 people playing it, maybe more that I didn't know.

I'm probably going to drop the Smiters, and add in some Obstinate Baloths and a Thrun. The Heirarch's regenerate ability only mattered once, and I'm not super worried about the uncounterability.

(at)MrEnglish22

I wish we could get PTQs that size in Indy. Never see one with less than 200+ people. 

Good that the deck plays at least though and it's moving along. Now that Jund is dead you can really make a good fair deck.  
I wish we could get PTQs that size in Indy. Never see one with less than 200+ people. 

Good that the deck plays at least though and it's moving along. Now that Jund is dead you can really make a good fair deck.  

Yeah, the last PTQ I was at had about 150 players I think

(at)MrEnglish22

That's a good size and makes you feel like you coudl be in it. 

Well I got top 8 and was the general consensus to win until I mulligained

(at)MrEnglish22

Well I got top 8 and was the general consensus to win until I mulligained

feelsbadman.jpg
Yeah. I learned two hours later (when my friends got back from dinner, assuming I would be in the finals) that you can keep a 1-lander with UR Tron running Through the Breach.
Still haven't lived it down. 

(at)MrEnglish22

That's pretty amazing. I'm working on a splice deck for modern. Rituals + arcane + through the breach + Goryo's vengeance + fatties. It can't not work. 
That's pretty amazing. I'm working on a splice deck for modern. Rituals + arcane + through the breach + Goryo's vengeance + fatties. It can't not work. 

www.starcitygames.com/article/24524_Mode...

www.starcitygames.com/article/24524_Mode...

This is good stuff. I'll have a lot to work with now.