Morph

35 posts / 0 new
Last post
Last one for tonight...

Can playing a morph creature as a 2/2 for 3 be countered?
I am Blue/White
Yes.

Rules Advisor

Morph
A keyword ability that lets a card be cast face down as a 2/2 creature. See rule 702.35, “Morph,” and rule 707, “Face-Down Spells and Permanents.”

It's being cast, so you can counter it.
Follow up question:
Can the morph cost be countered? Or is that an ability?
I am Blue/White
Turning a permanent face-up by paying its morph cost is a special action that can be performed anytime a player has priority and doesn't use the stack. It can't be countered, nor is it an activated ability.
Rules Advisor

Turning a face down creature face up cannot be countered. It can't even be responded to.
Follow up question:

Neither, it's a special action that doesn't use the stack.  Since it doesn't use the stack, there's no way to stop it after the controller declares the action.

702.35d If you have priority, you may turn a face-down permanent you control face up. This is a special action; it doesn’t use the stack (see rule 115). To do this, show all players what the permanent’s morph cost would be if it were face up, pay that cost, then turn the permanent face up. (If the permanent wouldn’t have a morph cost if it were face up, it can’t be turned face up this way.) The morph effect on it ends, and it regains its normal characteristics. Any abilities relating to the permanent entering the battlefield don’t trigger when it’s turned face up and don’t have any effect, because the permanent has already entered the battlefield.

If you suspect your opponent will flip a morphed creature, you're welcome to try and prevent them from being able to pay the cost (E.G. Destroying all their creatures if the cost is sacrificing a creature), but you can't counter it.
thank you this is helpful!
I am Blue/White
Last one for tonight...

More! Please!

If I steal a hundred dollar from a loot of one thousand, people might notice;

If I steal a hundred dollar from a loot of one million, I might get away with it;

If I wish to steal even more and still go unnoticed, I need to make the loot bigger.

Now you know why taxes always go up.

Looting: ''the plundering of public assets by corrupt or greedy authorities'' (Wikipedia)

Okay, another question about Morph rulings:

Once a card has been turned up (or if it enters the battlefield without the morph being done), can the original cost (on most of my morph cards, it's three colorless), be used to turn them face down, or does it have to be cast when it enters the battlefield in the first place? 
the "original cost" is on ALL morph cards
it cannot be used to turn it back face-down
proud member of the 2011 community team
There is no built in way to turn it face down again.
You can only turn a creature (any creature) face down if an effect instructs you to do so. Ixidron is one example.

Level 1 Judge as of 09/26/2013

Zammm = Batman

"Ability words are flavor text for Melvins." -- Fallingman

There is no built in way to turn it face down again.

So, one it enters the battlefield, you can't re-morph it, so to speak?
some morph cards have a built-in ability to turn it back facedown or to return to hand

but Morph itself has no built-in way to turn face-down
some morph cards have a built-in ability to turn it back facedown or to return to hand

So, a bit like regenerate does then? You can do it as many times as you like so long as you have the mana to do it.
No. Morph can be paid only once: as soon as you pay, the creature turns up and cannot be «unmorphed» anymore. 

If I steal a hundred dollar from a loot of one million, I might get away with it;

If I wish to steal even more and still go unnoticed, I need to make the loot bigger.

Looting: ''the plundering of public assets by corrupt or greedy authorities'' (Wikipedia)

Wall of Deceit is an example of what enigma256 is talking about. It has an activated ability which can be used to turn the wall face down again. The majority of morph creatures lack this kind of ability.
No, I understand that bit. Once it's done, it can't be redone. However, Enigma was alluding to cards that allow it to be returned to hand or via some other ability, so kind of like regeneration... Cards like Backslide, perhaps?
Ooh, I have a Wall of Deceit somewhere... Thanks! I'll dig it out.
I remembered wrong, I thought there was a Morph card that had an ability similar to Arcanis the Omnipotent
I remembered wrong, I thought there was a Morph card that had an ability similar to Arcanis the Omnipotent

Echo Tracer?

not quite what I meant
Also there's Vesuvan Shapeshifter

and Cloudstone Curio would help achieve what you want to achieve.

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

A lot of Morph cards, Nantuko Vigilante,trigger an ability when they are turned face up. That triggered ability goes on the stack and can be countered or responded to correct?
yes, by cards like Stifle or Trickbind
however not by Cancel
Faith's Shield is good also.

After a card has been morphed face-up, do players gain priority again before the phase/step ends?

I would hope yes, although I'm not sure why.
Cannot be relied upon^
yes
unless something triggers priority does not change after Morphing
Then, if it is the non-active player's priority, and they morph, then pass, doesn't the step end?
Cannot be relied upon^
No, because they did something. The game only moves on if both players pass priority in succession without doing anything.

Come join me at No Goblins Allowed

Because frankly, being here depresses me these days.

That's my thought, but I'm not sure if the rule is "without casting anything" or "without taking any action whatsoever"
Cannot be relied upon^
It's "If all players pass in succession (that is, if all players pass without taking any actions in between passing)[...]"

Come join me at No Goblins Allowed

Because frankly, being here depresses me these days.

So I guess since morph is a special action, even though it does not use the stack or affect priority, it is still an action. Thanks!
Cannot be relied upon^

115.2. There are six special actions:

(...)

115.2b Turning a face-down creature face up is a special action. A player can take this action any time he or she has priority.

(...)

116.3c If a player has priority when he or she casts a spell, activates an ability, or takes a special action, that player receives priority afterward.

116.3d If a player has priority and chooses not to take any actions, that player passes. (...) Then the next player in turn order receives priority.

116.4. If all players pass in succession (that is, if all players pass without taking any actions in between passing), the spell or ability on top of the stack resolves or, if the stack is empty, the phase or step ends.