A Black Asceticism?

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
Okay, call me stupid, but is there a black version of Asceticism out there in the world of Magic? I've not come across one yet, and I've looked through the gatherer.
If you're looking for something black that grants all creatures Hexproof, you're highly unlikely to find it. Hexproof is mostly a blue ability, with green in a not-too-distant second.

If it's the reusable regeneration effect you want, I would think that wouldn't be too hard, since regeneration is pretty common in black.
That said, the best I could find Horror of Horrors, which requires sacrificing a lot of swamps if you want to get any mileage out of it.

Next best thing is Clot Sliver + Conspiracy
Protecting creatures isn't really black's thing.

As for regenerating, zombies have Boneknitter and Lim-Dul the Necromancer. You can also switch around Ring of Xathrid.

Some equipment can grant the creature hexproof/shroud: Whispersilk Cloak, Ring of Evos Isle, Swiftfoot Boots, Cloak and Dagger, General's Kabuto, Lightning Greaves, Neurok Stealthsuit.
Hmmm, interesting cards. I have someone that has a black/green deck with Asceticism in it, and it bugs me, but I wanted to see if there as anything like it in black. What about a card like Witchbane Orb, but towards opponents only, and in the opposite way, stopping them from gaining hexproof?
Glaring Spotlight
but it only works with creatures, not players
proud member of the 2011 community team
One of the new cards. I like it. I will have to look into getting one of those. Hopefully, I can combat that card with this. Thanks once again Enigma!
Hmmm, interesting cards. I have someone that has a black/green deck with Asceticism in it, and it bugs me, but I wanted to see if there as anything like it in black. What about a card like Witchbane Orb, but towards opponents only, and in the opposite way, stopping them from gaining hexproof?

Actually, Asceticism is one of the best green cards out there.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
Oh I know, and it can be the difference between winning and losing the game. I do like the card. It's like Dense Foliage, which is basically an older version of Asceticism, which I have. I just wanted a counter of that card for a deck of mine I like playing with.
Okay, call me stupid, but is there a black version of Asceticism out there in the world of Magic? I've not come across one yet, and I've looked through the gatherer.

Black doesn't really give much of a damn about it's creatures.  It's filled with sac mechanics.

If you are tired of burn then use the more iconic creatures in the color such as Phyrexian Obliterator(Board position? What board position?).

-NW "Behold blessed perfection!" --Sheoldred, Whispering One
One thing I have noticed with Asceticism is that it doesn't state that any spells, etc to be removed from creatures you control when you bring the card into play. So, for instance, if you have a few creatures on the battlefield, and you have one enchanted by another player with say, for instance, Encrust, would that then be removed automatically, or because it's already been placed on a creature, would it stay?
Auras only target when they are cast
once they are attached (or if they enter the battlefield without being cast) they don't target, and Hexproof doesn't interfere with it
proud member of the 2011 community team
Meaning that they would stay on the creature then, yes?
yes
Black sees creatures as expendible.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
If you have green in there; Dense Foliage can work.