A Purplebackpack Ability: Funeral

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
I got this idea from Hairless' Conquest thread

Funeral — If a player lost life this turn, ....

Things about funeral:

• It's five-color, but strongest in black and white

• It's weakest in blue (and the Funeral bonus in the few blue cards there are is either drawing or milling)

• As with Morbid or Metalcraft, the cards are costed as being between the regular effect and the Funeral (or regular + funeral) effect

• It should usually be used with Instants rather than Sorceries, with the exception of Sanguine Knowledge below

• If a creature has a funeral ability that triggers when entering the battlefield (such as coming in with counters), it shoud also be given flash

• If it helps your creative process, think of this as being Innistrad Block extended

Here are some Funeral cards I've come up with:

Eulogy of Heroes
Instant (MR)
Put seven 1/1 white Spirit creature tokens with flying onto the battlefield.
Funeral — If a player lost life this turn, instead put thirteen 1/1 white Spirit creature tokens with flying onto the battlefield.

Favor of the Raptor
Instant
You gain 7 life
Funeral — If a player lost life this turn, you gain 15 life instead.

Call of the Haunted

Instant
Put X 2/2 black and white Horror creature tokens onto the battlefield.
Funeral — If a player lost life this turn, instead put X 2/2 black and white Horror creature tokens with lifelink and deathtouch onto the battlefield.

Necrogenize
Instant
Target player discards two cards.
Funeral — If a player lost life this turn, instead target player discards his or her hand.

Sanguine Knowledge
Sorcery
You draw X cards and you lose X life.
Funeral — If a player lost life this turn, instead draw X cards (And lose 0 life)
(Errata: That's life lost BEFORE casting S.K.)

Beseeching Bonfire
Instant
Beseeching Bonfire deals 3 damage to target player
Funeral — If a player lost life this turn, Beseeching Bonfire instead deals 3 damage to target player and each creature that player controls.

Demon Steed

Creature-Horse Devil
Flash, haste
Funeral — If a player lost life this turn, when Demon Steed enters the battlefield, it deals 3 damage to target creature or player.
1/1

Relentless Boon
Instant
Regenerate each creature you control
Funeral — If a player lost life this turn, put a +1/+1 counter on each creature regenerated this way, then untap all creatures you control.

Secluded Chapel
Land
Secluded Chapel enters the battlefield tapped.
Add to your mana pool.
Funeral : Add one mana of any color to your mana pool. Activate this ability only if a player lost life this turn.

Desecrated Cemetery

Land
Desecrated Cemetery enters the battlefield tapped.
Add to your mana pool.
Funeral : Add one mana of any color to your mana pool. Activate this ability only if a player lost life this turn.

Tombstone
Artifact
, : Target player puts the top 2 cards of his or her library into his or her graveyard.
Funeral , : Target player loses 2 life and puts the top 2 cards of his or her library into his or her graveyard.  Activate this ability only if a player lost life this turn.

Thoughts?  Additional cards?
Seems Kool.... Not too unbalanced. Feels like Pestilance would make a funeral deck smile. As is I only have one complaint (if I would go so far as too call it that) is that Call of the Haunted makes two different types of tokens, which are almost identical, which coluld cause memory issues. Other than that, I like it.
The name doesn't really fit the mechanic...
The name doesn't really fit the mechanic...

Well, what it would suggest is already taken by Morbid and Conquest...

Seems too good when combined with shock/fetch lands.  But even without them, I think the "trigger" is too easy to achieve.

Fateful Hour is risky to pull off and usually only happened in the late game because of the amount of life-loss needed.  Bloodthirst and Rakdos, Lord of Riots don't care how much life is lost, but require you to actually gain some ground against a player who's opposing you.  But the fact that it works on any player, and any amount of life means that they'll be going off all the time without anyone even trying.  The swing in power level between "off" and "on" is way too much compared to the difficulty of getting it to work.
The World of Eldangard - a three act M:tG block by Fallingman Eldangard Stormfront Ragnarok
Seems Kool.... Not too unbalanced. Feels like Pestilance would make a funeral deck smile. As is I only have one complaint (if I would go so far as too call it that) is that Call of the Haunted makes two different types of tokens, which are almost identical, which coluld cause memory issues. Other than that, I like it.

Forsaken Wastes wouldn't be bad either.  Ironically, this deck would go great with BLUE creatures, since blue has unblockability

FYI, it does make two types of tokens, but one is funeral only and one is non-funeral only
I would make the keyword only apply to black and red, and have it read:  "[ABILITY NAME] -- if an opponent lost life this turn, [RESULT]."  Blue would have such a hard time getting opponents to lose life, and even without the wording change, they would have a hard time dealing damage to themselves.

Black would powerhouse this ability with things like Dark Confidant, Sign in Blood, Bloodgift Demon, Phyrexian Arena and a slew of other cards that have opponents/themselves losing life.
Well, what it would suggest is already taken by Morbid and Conquest...

Awwwwww
What a nice thing to say.  
I don't like the name, but I like the idea. But it felt more like it should be strongest in red.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
feels too easy.

120.6. Some effects replace card draws.

why are you here when NGA exists and is just better

Its like Bloodthirst but easier to activate.

A typical   trying to get somewhere in the Multiverse, allons-y?

DOCTOR WHO OOOOOOOOEEOOOOOOOO OOOOOOEEOOOOOOO (I'm weird, cant help it)

Famous Quotes:

144543765 wrote:
I was browsing through some cards in gatherer and I noticed something really odd - the transforming cards from Innistrad like Mayor of Avabruck have separate comments and ratings for each side. Isn't that totally stupid? It feels as senseless as having two different pages for each side of a split card or having different pages for Nimble Mongoose with and without threshold.

56965528 wrote:
*mutters under his breath* Squinty's Wife: "What was that!?!?" Umm, I said.... umm..... ahhh.... *another smack upside the head* Squinty's Wife: "Care to try again?" *shakes head vigerously* Squinty's Wife: "That's better." ~SE++ *whimpering*

Current deck goals:

NON-AGGRO, NON-MONO RED deck (Not getting very far with it though)

Standard mono red deck for FNM next Friday

I would make the keyword only apply to black and red, and have it read:  "[ABILITY NAME] -- if an opponent lost life this turn, [RESULT]."  Blue would have such a hard time getting opponents to lose life, and even without the wording change, they would have a hard time dealing damage to themselves.

Black would powerhouse this ability with things like Dark Confidant, Sign in Blood, Bloodgift Demon, Phyrexian Arena and a slew of other cards that have opponents/themselves losing life.

This is hardly the only mechanic that involves black losing life to win the game lol, and some of them I had intended to be played after YOU lost life...like the Raptor one where you gain 15 life.  This also is why it's a white mechanic, b/c it makes some sense for white to get extra effect after you've been dealt damage or lost life. 

Sign In to post comments