[MANA MAZE] Audition Round

158 posts / 0 new
Last post

MANA MAZE
 will be a ten-player adventure race to the finish line to see who ascends to Archmage first, while navigating the maze, overcoming obstacles, fighting enemies (and each other!) and even figuring out puzzles along the way.

MANA MAZE
 will be a card design game where each player's designs translates into actions, equipment, spells and familiars, that will help them survive the treacherous maze.

MANA MAZE will be a game of flavour and tactics, where each player is represented by a character in the maze and the choices and designs of each player has actual meaning in the maze.

And hopefully, MANA MAZE will be a fun and engaging game of a different sort that what is usual for YMtC.

AUDITION ROUND

MANA MAZE needs ten players. Players who won’t abandon the game and who aren’t scared off by a few rules. To that effect, I’m hosting an Audition Round. If you want to audition, post a card following ONE of the five criteria below. The designers of the two best cards in each category will enter the MANA MAZE.

AUDITION CRITERIA:

#1) Create a white card that deals with chivalry, honor, dignity, tribute, fealty or veneration.
#2) Create a blue card that deals with knowledge, awareness, enlightenment, insight, philosophy or
wisdom.
#3) Create a black card that deals with aversion, dismay, dread, nightmare, suspicion or terror.
#4) Create a red card that deals with brutality, confusion, frenzy, passion, fervor or animosity.
#5) Create a green card that deals with cultivation, proliferation, vitality, endurance, essence or animalism.

Multicolor cards are allowed, but state explicitly which category you are auditioning for (#1-#5)

DEADLINE: This Audition Round will close in about five days from now. Good luck.

ceci n'est pas une signature.

Quick question.  Should these be mono-colored?
Quick question.  Should these be mono-colored?

Sorry. I'll edit the OP.

But no, as long as they are the chosen color. But if you make a multicolor card, state explicitly which criterion you are applying for. in other word, if you make a red/white card, you must state whether you audition for the #1 or #4 category.

2)

Attentive Scholar
Creature - Human Wizard
, : Draw a card. This ability costs less to activate for each card you've drawn this turn.
"The more you learn, the easier learning becomes."
0/2

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
I seem to recall another maze-ish game a long time ago... By ty, maybe? Whatever, this should be a good time.

I just gots ta go monogreen.

Soulsoil
Enchantment

: Put a bloom counter on Soulsoil.
Remove a bloom counter from Soulsoil: Add to your mana pool.
, remove a bloom counter from Soulsoil: Target creature you control gets +1/+1 until end of turn.
"Strength of self to till the land, and strength of spirit to grow."
-Helena of the Verdant Soul
Gridmaster Official Denizen of YmtC || My Lair Diraden, a set by me
For Green.  Working from abroad.  Will finish later.

Explore the Depths -
Sorcery
Choose a player.
Search target players library for a land card and put it onto the battlefield tapped under the chosen player's control.  Then that player shuffles his or her library.
With all the wonders of the ocean floor, very few Shalas expedition parties return without tales of new sights.
Passionate Recruit
Creature - Human Soldier
First Strike
If ~ would deal any amount of damage to another creature or player, instead ~ deals twice as much damage to that creature or player.
You don't want this guy in your opponents army.
1/1

Mafia Game Slots:

1. Open

2. Hundred Acres (Dead Town)

3. Open

4. Open

5. Open

6. Open

For white, obv:

Iisvarine Oathsmith |
Creature - Human Citizen
Planeswalker you control aren't put into their owners' graveyards for having loyalty 0.
"Repeat after me... I swear to protect and honour... at the expense of my ideals... the balance of power and order of our world."
2/2

:>

- AJD
"The body is but a vessel for the soul, a puppet which bends to the soul's tyranny. And lo, the body is not eternal, for it must feed on the flesh of others, lest it return to the dust from whence it came. Therefore must the soul deceive, despise and murder men."The Durai Papers

Haunted Dreams |
Enchantment — Aura

Enchant player
At the beginning of enchanted player's draw step, that player reveals his or her hand, then discards all cards with the same name as a creature on the battlefield.

His distrust grew, until even his own children became enemies in his sleep.
It's been a while since I've been a part of a long-term contest (not counting preview week contests here).  Idol was the last, I think.  I think I'll throw my hat into the ring and see if I can shake off the rust a bit.

Groen, Gambler of Fortune
Creature - Human Wizard
When Gambler of Fortune enters the battlefield, draw cards until you have 7 cards in hand.
When Gambler of Fortune leaves the battlefield, discard your hand.
"Nothing matters to me except for everything."
3/2

Passion!
Come check out my friend's youtube channel where he gives bad movies what's coming to them!
You Make the Card
Best Contest Holder 2010 YMtC Idol 9 4th Place
Mafia History
Friendliest Player 2010 Werewolves Invade YMtC!: Town-aligned Rotworm Mass, Survived, Mafia Victory Heroes Mafia: Angela Petrelli, Town-Aligned Undercover Revengeful Mother, Win for Me, Mafia Victory Super Smash Bros. Mafia: Town-Aligned Mason, Survived, Town Victory Bear Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Lynched Day 1, Mafia Victory YMtC Mafia II: Henry-Stern, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Town Victory, Town MVP Time Fracture Mafia: Mafia-Aligned Nero, the Last Romulan, Lynched Day 3, Borg Victory Touhou Mafia III: Tenshi Hinani, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory, Town MVP Mafia 2010: Lynched Day 1, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Mafia Victory Dragonball Z Mafia: Goku, Town-Aligned Charismatic Townie, Mafia Victory Quarantined Mafia: Lynched Day 4, J. Walter Weatherman, Infected-Aligned Administrative Assistant, Mr. T (so basically mafia) Victory Glass Box Mafia: Killed Night 2, Icthys, Town-Aligned Networker, Town Victory Battle Royale Mafia: Killed Night 3, Zipperflesh and Dark Stryke Victory Scars of Mirrodin Mafia: Killed Night 3, Town-Aligned Charismatic, Mafia Victory Portal Mafia: Lynched Day 3, Test Subject #2, Mafia-Aligned Rolestopper, Town Victory (that was utter BS) Toxic Waste Mafia: Survived, Violet, Hive (Cult)-Aligned Powerless Taskmaster, Hive Victory PK Hatez You Mafia: Survived, Town-Aligned Goth, Mafia Victory Dreven City: A Wild West Mafia: Town-Aligned "Los Angeles" Reed, One-Shot Vig, Survived, Town Victory (just barely, major props to Just a Cleric) YMtC Mafia III: Killed Night 2, Mafia Victory Vampire Mafia: Mafia-Aligned Pander, Mafia Victory Touhou Border Collapse: Bill Cosby, Town-Aligned, Killed Night 1, Mafia Victory Harry Potter Mafia: Argus Filch, Town-Aligned Tracker, Lynched Day 5, Mafia Victory [Basic #5] Bandit Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory Borderlands Mafia: Town-Aligned Mason, Killed Night 1, Town Victory eBay Mafia: Mafia-Aligned, Survived, Mafia Victory Full Metal Alchemist Mafia: Alphonse Elric, Town-Aligned Mason, Killed Night 1, Town Victory Sunflowers for Ragnarokio: Lynched Day 3, Town/Just a Cleric/Tevish Szat/Faux-Razor Victory True Blood Mafia: Lynched Day 4, Mafia Victory My Mafia Diary: Skyhunter, Mafia-Aligned Emo, Survived, Flawless Mafia Victory Paper Mario Mafia: Blue Goomba, Town-Aligned Lover, Killed Night 2, Mafia Victory Small Town Mafia: Pigsticker Mafia-Aligned Coward, Killed Night 2, Caveman Mafia and Zipperflesh Victory Stuff on my Desk Mafia: Lotus Cobra, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory Order of the Chaos Rose Mafia: Lord Dagol Ji'Lovik, Town-Aligned Hypnotist, Mafia Victory, Town MVP Camp Crystal Lake Mafia: Ongoing A Certain Magical Mafia: Killed Night 1, Town-Aligned The Siege of Balignor Mafia: Ongoing, Killed Day 4 Mafia of Ancient Egypt: Replaced in for Murica day 2, Ra, Town-Aligned Charismatic, Town Victory, Town MVP Lord of the Rings Mafia: Replaced in for Dr Demento, Town-Aligned Mason/One-Shot Self-Doc, Town Victory, Town MVP Internet Stars Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Mafia Victory Mythos Mafia: Ongoing
Animalism or animism?
Real men hold shift. If everyone has their fingers in the pie, then someone is eating fingers.
Bestial Mirror -- 
Creature - Beast Shapeshifter
You may have Bestial Mirror enter the battlefield as a copy of a creature you control. If you do, it fights that creature.
"We see the spirits in beasts everyday. Rarely do we see the reverse, and only with regret."
0/0
Real men hold shift. If everyone has their fingers in the pie, then someone is eating fingers.
I'll have to choose #1:

Oathsworn Knight
Creature - Human Knight
First Strike, Vigilance
~ can not be controlled by any player that doesn't own it. Anytime ~ would deal damage to its owner, prevent that damage.
You can not sacrifice ~.
My oath is my life. I would sooner take my life then violate my oath.
3/2
I'll try it out.
Black Nightmare

Scarring Phantasm -- :BM:
Creature - Spirit Horror (R)

Flying
When Scarring Phantasm enters the battlefield, any player may discard two cards. If a player does, exile Scarring Phantasm.
At the beginning of each end step, if a player drew two or more cards this turn, return Scarring Phantasm from exile to the battlefield with that many +1/+1 counters on it.

You think it's gone, but that's only because it's not in your head.
2 / 2
Official archnemesis of magicpablo666 Host of Reactionary Proud owner of "The Terrible Cube" The altimis Archive I'm baking lands!!! Beginner of GROMA
Notable Quotables:
58060728 wrote:
I carefully examine the walls of the room in a determined effort to not follow the GMs plot.
I'll try it out.

Flying
When Scarring Phantasm enters the battlefield, any player may discard two cards. If a player does, exile Scarring Phantasm.
At the beginning of each end step, if a player drew two or more cards this turn, return Scarring Phantasm to the battlefield with that many +1/+1 counters on it.

2 / 2

FROM WHERE WTF U BROKE MTG
#4) Create a red card that deals with brutality, confusion, frenzy, passion, fervor or animosity.

Scarred Veteran

Creature - Human Soldier
Animosity for creatures (Scarred Veteran costs less for each creature opponent's control).
When Scarred Veteran enters the battlefield he deals 4 damage to target creature that damaged you last turn.
Each scar is a memory made flesh.
4/4

Quotes: 

Show
magicpablo666 wrote:
These cards are Ball Tightening.
I_forget_who_dammit wrote:
Perfect originality is overrated and often ugly. The best and most beautiful cards I've ever seen were clearly inspired by something else. Cards are not entirely unlike living organisms in this regard. All the good ones are a result of long evolution; the 'original' ones are either monocellular or mutant aberrations.
ColonialDragons wrote:
The weird part is reaching over the table, grabbing a card from their hand, and just staring slowly back at them, awkwardly, as you slide their voice of resurgence slowly into your pants.
magicpablo666 wrote:
Graveborn are strictly better than Zombies. I mean, look at that wicked beard. You try growing that when your dead. And I know aging fellows who are suffering from Male Pattern Baldness, who would kill for a Mop like Ribsy's over there.
magicpablo666 wrote:
Hey Dudibus, I can't take you seriously until you take your shirt off!
cats_and_me wrote:
I'm just stating what I think is their opinion! :/
I'll try it out.

Flying
At the beginning of each end step, if a player drew two or more cards this turn, return Scarring Phantasm to the battlefield with that many +1/+1 counters on it.

2 / 2

I'm very glad you think so. We'll see what the judge says.
Official archnemesis of magicpablo666 Host of Reactionary Proud owner of "The Terrible Cube" The altimis Archive I'm baking lands!!! Beginner of GROMA
Notable Quotables:
58060728 wrote:
I carefully examine the walls of the room in a determined effort to not follow the GMs plot.
I'll try it out.

Flying

2 / 2

psst, he was pointing out a wording error.

120.6. Some effects replace card draws.

why are you here when NGA exists and is just better

I'll use Blue

Mind Malfunction 
Enchantment                   Rare

Whenever an opponent draws a card, that
opponent puts the top card of his or her library
into his or her graveyard, then you draw a card.

You were successful with your plan, 'were'.
[spoiler Render]Render

[/spoiler]

WTF DAT FRAME U BROKE MTG
I'll use Blue

Mind Malfunction 
Enchantment                   Rare

Whenever an opponent draws a card, that
opponent puts the top card of his or her library
into his or her graveyard, then you draw a card.

You were successful with your plan, 'were'.
[spoiler Render]Render

[/spoiler]

WTF DAT FRAME U BROKE MTG

I'm beginning to suspect that you don't have a clear grip on what "breaking MTG" means.

120.6. Some effects replace card draws.

why are you here when NGA exists and is just better

I'll try it out.

Flying

2 / 2

psst, he was pointing out a wording error.

Missing "from exile"?
If that is it, thank you for pointing out what was wrong.
febb, thank you for trying to help, but just saying something is wrong doesn't help as much.

fix'd
Notable Quotables:
58060728 wrote:
I am worried that in my absence you all forgot what I do.
#3) Create a black card that deals with aversion, dismay, dread, nightmare, suspicion or terror.

Fear of Authority |
Enchantment
Spells that target you or permanents you control cost an additional 'pay 2 life' to cast.
The most common answer to a demanding question is none.
Fatalistic Forbearance
Instant
Target creature spell can't be countered. The creature enters the battlefield with a +1/+1 counter on it.
Do t break magic guys.
Bloodflame Frenzy |
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant creature
Enchanted creature has first strike.
Whenever enchanted creature attacks for the first or second time each turn, untap it. After this phase there is an additional combat phase.
I seem to recall another maze-ish game a long time ago... By ty, maybe? Whatever, this should be a good time.

I just gots ta go monogreen.

Evocative Name
Enchantment

: Put a bloom counter on CARDNAME.
Remove a bloom counter from CARDNAME: Add to your mana pool.
, remove a bloom counter from CARDNAME: Target creature you control gets +1/+1 until end of turn.
Some really sweet flavor text

By Avedomni. When that was abandoned, I was unusually sad.

DQ febb pls he's cheating.
Real men press caps.
I'll take criteria #5.

Endurance of the Beast
Instant
Put X +1/+1 counters on target creature, where X is the amount of damage that creature has been dealt this turn.

Rules Advisor from 8-26-09 to 1-31-14, reinstated (reactivated?) on 9-24-14 (been seeing more FNM, prerelease, and release events as of late)
Joined the crowd and got an Avatar from zammm's Avatar Workshop on 5-6-2012

Khans of Tarkir Clan Quiz
After three iterations of taking the quiz, it says each time that I'm Temur, the clan. Which is funny because the dual-color tests still yield the same two results as before.

That "Dual Colors" personality test thing
IMAGE(http://stat.rumandmonkey.com/tests/1/6/5261/20806.jpg)

I am Black/Green

Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!

Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

I am both selfish and instinctive. I value growth and community, as long as they favour my own objectives; I enjoy nature, and I particularly enjoy watching parts of nature die. At best, I am resilient and tenacious; at worst, I'm uncontrollable and destructive.

Oh, but wait, there were multiple answers that fit my thoughts to some questions. What colors did they say I was?

IMAGE(http://stat.rumandmonkey.com/tests/1/6/5261/20801.jpg)

I am Blue/Green

I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.

Update of the Day

In MANA MAZE you will have four characteristics; Speed, Power, Toughness and Mana Pool. Your cards can and will directly influence your values in these four characteristics.

Update of the Day

In MANA MAZE you will have seven characteristics; Speed, agility, guts, style. Coolness. Awesomeness. And radicalness. Your cards can and will directly influence your values in these characteristics.

Aren't those all the same thing?

I apologize:

But this thread just got 20% cooler.

Notable Quotables:
58060728 wrote:
Update of the Day

In MANA MAZE you will have seven characteristics; Speed, agility, guts, style. Coolness. Awesomeness. And radicalness. Your cards can and will directly influence your values in these characteristics.

Aren't those all the same thing?

I apologize:

But this thread just got 20% cooler.

Heh, I should have done that instead. MANA MAZE - Streetwise Edition. :P

Second update of the Day

Puzzles in MANA MAZE can be solved in two ways; over time by designing flavor-relevant cards for the puzzle; or instantly by using your knowledge of Magic, logic, your imagination and a little luck.

So if you're not much of a puzzle-solver, don't worry. 

I will murder anyone that stops me from getting in.
Knight's Code - 1WW
Enchantment [R]
As ~ enters the battlefield choose a creature type. Whenever a creature of the chosen type enters the battlefield put a charge counter on ~.
Creatures you control get +1/+1 for each charge counter on ~."
"United we protect the weak."

IMAGE(http://avvesione.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/puella_magi_madoka_magica-05-sayaka-sword.jpg)

I will do my best to assure you a place.
I may even have a dimir sleeper agent in place...  
Knight of the True Soul -
Creature - Human Knight
Protection from red
As long as ~ is blocking, it gets +4/+4.
: ~ can block an additional creature until end of turn.
2/2

Knight of the True Soul -
Creature - Human Knight
Vigilance
Whenever a creature enters the battlefield under an opponent's control, if its power is greater than a creature you control, put a +1/+1 counter on ~.
"Honor isn't just about protecting the weak, it is about finding the courage to stand up to one that is stronger."
3/3
Show
I am Red/White
I am Red/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both chaotic and orderly. I value my own principles, and am willing to go to extreme lengths to enforce them, often trampling on the very same principles in the process. At best, I'm heroic and principled; at worst, I'm hypocritical and disorderly.
Mind Reflection 
Enchantment
If a player would draw a card, each other player draws a card instead.
"Civilizations begin with the flow of ideas..." - Tamio

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupry

[spoiler MLP]Congratulations, you've found My Lie Policy: Only when i'm prompted, i might lie. (policy still in the refinement process.) [/spoiler] [spoiler I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.]I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]

Not only shall I prevent your entry, I shall repel your murder with my style.

*NOTE* Now, if I make entry and you don't, I will feel terrible. Great... it's a Catch 22, why do I do this to myself?

NAY! I shall ensure our entries go uninhibitted, and our race to the finsh shall continue here!
Notable Quotables:
58060728 wrote:
Clawing Hysteria
Sorcery
Choose a card type. Target player reveals cards at random from his or her hand until a card of the chosen type is revealed. If a card of the chosen type is revealed, that player discards the revealed cards.
The itch festered in the folds of his mind, the desperate scratching of his psyche only pushing it deeper.
Is this like black or something. I think this falls under suspicion.

Court Intrigues
Sorcery
Search target player's library for a card. That player shuffles his or her library, then puts that card on top.
Marlon had always had a sneaking suspicion about the attorney's ability to somehow make evidence appear out of nowhere at just the right times.
A little bit of courage is the real magic.
#2) Create a blue card that deals with knowledge, awareness, enlightenment, insight, philosophy orwisdom.

Foolsbane Djinn
Creature - Djinn
Flying
When enters the battlefield, you may search your library for up to three Trap cards with different names and exile them face down. Then shuffle your library. You may cast the exiled cards, but not by paying their mana costs.
"The difference between bargaining with demons and djinni is this: one will offer you your deepest desire in exchange for your soul, and the other will offer you three of them for free. Believe me, there's no such thing as a free wish. Takie the one where you can actually read the fine print."
4/5

Tentative.