B/W Discard Control

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
The idea is to empty the hand of opposing control decks while still having enough kill spells to deal with aggro. List first I guess:

So I know it doesn't have that much discard, but what it does have is repeatable. Duress will be in the board. Captain of the watch is just for testing for now, it's good with Sorin and amazing with Restoangel. Liliana will just be an edict that they have to deal with vs aggro, Sorin and Underworld Connections help me with CA vs control. I will have Purify the Grave in the side, probably better than Rest in Peace since that's the card the animator decks are expecting. I was originally going to have the Exqusite Blood combo in here but I decided that it was bad.
The deck feels a little stretched to me, I had to work to find the last few cards. (Fiend Hunter, 3rd Sorin, 3rd of each of the 1B removal spells) So if there is something that you think should be in here let me know, there is a little room.

Also, neither of my kill spells deals with Huntmaster. Should I change it up?
Grow old or die trying.
First off, nice idea. I like Black white, but i can't help but think theres a few changes i would make. 

I'd drop the Vaults. For a discard deck, i don't see much need in this one. Nephalia Drownyard would no doubt be a better play.

Captain, as you have already said, is only for testing. Though i'd switch her up soon.

Victim of Night seems a better choice over Devour Flesh. Or i would think so anyway.

Sever the Bloodline Seems to be a sideboard card for me, and i'd also think about taking out Underworld Connections.

Mind Rot, Duress, Mind Grind, Night Terrors, and Purge the Profane are good cards also. Would also consider dropping Sorin for Gideon, Champion of Justice. He seems to be a bit more appealing, and yet another threat to add.

I don't have blue mana for drownyard and vault is really good with all my tokens and rats. Victim of night doesn't kill huntmaster either though its something to think about. Sorin is a bigger threat vs control decks than Gideon and Gideon doesn't protect me vs aggro.

A lot of discard doesn't really work in a deck trying to play the long game. Eventually your opponent's hand will be empty and then each spell they draw will be played and each discard spell you draw will be useless.

What's wrong with sever, UC and devour?

Edited.
Grow old or die trying.
I just realized I should be playing Orzhov Charm.
-1 Devour Flesh
-1 Ultimate Price
+2 Orzhov Charm
Grow old or die trying.
underworld connection is likely too slow, at least for the maindeck.

if you want card draw, i'd think sign in blood would be much better.

vampire nighthawk?  seems decent given the nature of the format.

i get what you're trying to do with rats, but they seem really bad right now.  a 1/1 isn't good against anything and that's really important. 

Blue is the best color ever. How do you deal?  ------------------------------  Team GFG - "gulf, foxtrot, gulf" 

I produce Dubstep and House beats:

https://soundcloud.com/burning_forest

Best Pauper Deck in the format, not close:

http://community.wizards.com/content/forum-topic/2974646#comment-49713276

Photobucket

Huh, I didn't think about Sign in Blood. I really don't like the idea of it but you may be right... I'll test both. I was thinking about nighthawk too, think they are better than fiend hunter?
And I'm going to make rats work! They do trade with lightning mauler and various 1 drops. And worst case they block a silverblade paladin and gain me 4 life. But I know they aren't the stongest card. I'll keep an eye on them. Thanks for the thoughts.
Grow old or die trying.
i like nighthawk much more than fiend hunter.  fiend hunter would be ok if you were playing some sort of old school ghost husk deck where you could sac fiend hunter with the trigger on the stack or something....  but i digress.

furthermore, they'll help with the heavy black requirements you already are pulling because of liliana's and card draw in black. 

Blue is the best color ever. How do you deal?  ------------------------------  Team GFG - "gulf, foxtrot, gulf" 

I produce Dubstep and House beats:

https://soundcloud.com/burning_forest

Best Pauper Deck in the format, not close:

http://community.wizards.com/content/forum-topic/2974646#comment-49713276

Photobucket

I can either Orzhov charm or restoangel with fiend hunter on the stack but it takes 5/7 mana. So late game and I'm not all that likely to even have two cards in hand at that point. Wish there was a 1 drop worth bringing back with the charm... Come on Martyr of Sands in dragons maze!
Grow old or die trying.
I agree with B_F here, Nighthawk is better than Fiend Hunter. 

The only deck I like Fiend Hunter in right now is with Angel of Glory's Rise, Cartel Aristocrat, and Huntmaster of the Fells (Reanimator/infinite life and tokens with all 4 cards).

I like rats too, but he's kind of weak.  I have a fun deck with it and Havengul Lich, but it's not fast enough to keep up with boros or w/g humans or most aggro in the field.  Until the meta establishes itself, you're going to see a bunch of aggro.  Underworld Connections is likely too slow in the main, as B_F said.  On turn three on the draw, you're not going to want to play it after taking 8-12 damage in the previous two turns.  There's only 2 Blind Obedience in the deck, and you won't see one every game.  You'll need to stabilize much earlier...

I really don't like the charm to deal with creatures...as much as I hate to say it, Murder is probably the safest choice.  You may even try Righteous Blow.  Removal is probably going to need to be split up between Tragic Slip, Devour Flesh, Murder, Victim of Night, and Ultimate PriceHuman Frailty is typically in my board as a 2 of if I play black, and pretty much has been since AVR.  I also like Slip less and less and less.  Maybe Executioner's SwingHigh Priest of Penance seems pretty good against aggro; he could theoretically 2 for one your opponent.  In fact I'd use him over the rats.  Worst case scenario, they use removal on him and leave Obzedat alone.

Where are the Oblivion Rings at?  It's a sorcery "removal" but a catch all as well.  I'd put at least 3 in the 75 somewhere.  Maybe 1 or 2 main bord, SB the other?  If you can find a good mix to stay alive to 5th-6th turn, Curse of Death's Hold and Staff of Nin are pretty funny and kill over half the (creature) format together.

I'd also NOT run Gideon instead of Sorin.  Sorin can create blockers to give you CA.  Gideon sits there and watches the aggro's players creatures kill you.  I'm thinking something might be better.....Nothing's coming to me.  In the esper build I'm working on, it's Supreme Verdict here instead of Sorin, but that won't work here.
Yeah, built the deck this morning and tested it vs Gruul aggro and Esper midrange/control. I made it as in the OP but had nighthawk instead of the hunter. Man was that a good call guys.
I lost against Gruul aggro 2-3 without sideboarding. Devour Flesh was very bad here against the Strangleroots and the bloodrush. I wanted spot removal very badly. Otherwise I just couldn't stabilize enough with all the bloodrush. This was the super aggressive deck with 4 Ravagers and 4 Slaughterhorn. The rats were eh and it didn't really matter if I had sign in blood or UC in the games I played.
I beat the esper control 2-0 without sideboard. He spent lots of resources dealing with Lingering spirits and Sorin and Obzedat ended it. Ravenous rats was fairly good here. I also ended up using the Charm to bounce the rats and make him discard again.
I got two more Godless Shrine tonight so one more of those and once I find someone to borrow/trade Lilianas from I'll be bringing this to FNM for more testing and tweakng.

As for changes, I'll be watching to see if High Preist would be better than Rats. Righteous Blow actually sounds not bad, I'll be watching to see if Devour Flesh should be changed to that. Oblivion Ring will certainly be in the board as will Staff of Nin. I might try out Curse but we'll see.
Grow old or die trying.
Sign In to post comments