Hazduhr and Sandskin

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Question on the ability of cards.

I have Hazduhr the Abbot in play with Sandskin attached to it, a player attacks me a Greater Mossdog and adds Giant Growth to it making it a 6/6 creature, i block with Goldenglow Moth then activate Hazduhr the Abbot ability redirecting all 6 combat damage to him, would Sandskin protect him as it was combat damage that is being redirected. Therefore the damage would be reduced to zero. I do realize that i would not gain the 4 life from Goldenglow Moth as no damage is being done to itself.
I am Red/White
I am Red/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both chaotic and orderly. I value my own principles, and am willing to go to extreme lengths to enforce them, often trampling on the very same principles in the process. At best, I'm heroic and principled; at worst, I'm hypocritical and disorderly.
yes, the source of the damage is not altered, it will still be combat damage

compare the wording to Divine Deflection that will alter the source of the damage to Divine Deflection

you will gain 4 life from the Goldenglow Moth, since it blocked
it doesn't matter if it actually got dealt damage
proud member of the 2011 community team
would Sandskin protect him as it was combat damage that is being redirected.

Yes.

The event starts out as 6 combat damage being dealt to goldenglow moth, but there is one replacement/prevention effect trying to alter what happens (hazduhr's replacement effect). You apply it, and now the combat damage would be done to hazdur. However, there's still a replacement/prevention effect trying to alter what happens (sandskin), so you apply that too, and the event is now that no damage is dealt. There are no further replacement/prevention effects to apply, so the modified event happens.
I do realize that i would not gain the 4 life from Goldenglow Moth as no damage is being done to itself.

Actually, you will gain 4 life. Goldenglow Moth doesn't care about damage, it just cares that the moth blocked.
In fact, you gain the 4 life from the Moth while still in the declare blockers step before combat damage is dealt in the next one.
Thanks guys appreciate the feed back, especially with the Moth. Without the enchantment being destroyed this is potentially a good combo.
I am Red/White
I am Red/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both chaotic and orderly. I value my own principles, and am willing to go to extreme lengths to enforce them, often trampling on the very same principles in the process. At best, I'm heroic and principled; at worst, I'm hypocritical and disorderly.
Palisade Giant does it cheaper in the long run
proud member of the 2011 community team