We gonna get a battalion creature who makes tokens?

20 posts / 0 new
Last post
What sort of cards do you think were designed for RTR / GTC but got pushed back to DGM to show the 'evolution' of the set?

Since battalion wants you to have a constant stream of creatures, I think we'll get someone who makes a 1/1 token whenever he attacks alongside two other creatures.

I also suspect we'll get an evolve creature that gives you life when it gains +1/+1 counters (or allows you to remove the counters to gain life, or similar).   
Yeah token battalion seems highly likely to me.

Or maybe something that replicates the battalion effect of your creatures for all attacking creatures?
i.e. when Boros Elite, Daring Skyjek and [Battalion Replicator] attack together, each creature gets +2/+2 and gains flying until eot.
But this ability might be too wordy to implement, a little bit narrow and Legion Loyalist/Frontline Medic won't synergize that great with it.
Would still be interesting for a guild champion or something. =P Lightning Helix everywhere!

I hope we get some efficient cipher spells that are playable outside of standart besides Hands of Binding and maybe Stolen Identity.
And please make some unleash cards where the choice is a little bit harder than "offensive or defensive?". One strong effect for every side that makes you think twice if you unleash or not.
If they want to break populate they print a card with "when ~ etb you may populate". Oh Kiki&friends will love it.

I also still hope for a new 5-color creature like Transguild Courier, preferably weaker but cheaper. We had only Civic Saber in RTR so it wouldn't have such a great impact on standart and I would love it greatly. Think auras, Bloom Tender, Spirit of Resistance, the list goes on... what can possible go wrong?™

Probably cards which enable us to apply guild mechanics to cards of the 'secret ally' of our guild.

Or, twice the guild mechanic, e.g. "populate, then populate".

Or maybe something that replicates the battalion effect of your creatures for all attacking creatures?
i.e. when Boros Elite, Daring Skyjek and [Battalion Replicator] attack together, each creature gets +2/+2 and gains flying until eot.
But this ability might be too wordy to implement, ...

Not going to be in Dragons Maze because its name is too long and its just an example Elemental
Creature Elemental
~ has all abilities of creatures with battalion.
1/1

To autocard: [c]Killer Whale[/c] ⇒ Killer Whale

The real problem with battalion copying is that battalion isn't a keyword.  That's why it's in italics, it's reminder text and not rules-related.  So a real card would have to do something insane to find those abilities and not others
Im hoping for a permanent that has an activated bioshift

Izzet should have a guttersnipe that draws you cards. Either that or somethign that 

Selesnya needs more combat tricks with populate/generate token.

Golgari could have something that lower scavenge cost? or gives a pseudo scavenge to creatures in your graveyard (remove creature card from your graveyard, put a counter on target creature).

I would love if Dimir gets more bonus for cards in opponenst graveyard ala Wight of precinct six.

Azorious NEEDs some form of flicker.

Rakdos unleash creatures could have more bonus for having a counter on them. And a black/red variant of crowned ceratok sapphire drake would be sweet.
I play for fun
The real problem with battalion copying is that battalion isn't a keyword.  That's why it's in italics, it's reminder text and not rules-related.  So a real card would have to do something insane to find those abilities and not others

"~ has all triggered abilities of attacking creatures you control."?

That's just asking for rules nightmares, isn't it?
That would make it too late to trigger any battalion for itself.

Cheers
What sort of cards do you think were designed for RTR / GTC but got pushed back to DGM to show the 'evolution' of the set?

Since battalion wants you to have a constant stream of creatures, I think we'll get someone who makes a 1/1 token whenever he attacks alongside two other creatures.

I don't think that works very well - a token generator as an ETB/upkeep ability, with a separate Battalion ability would work better. Otherwise, it only generates tokens when you don't need more tokens.
I think Precinct Captain is close enough that a batalion version is unlikely.
we already have assemble the legion and sunhome guildmage, i doubt we'll have a battalion that makes tokens. whats the point of making tokens when you already have 3 stuff swinging? i'd rather have a buff effect

~Your either my puppet or my matchstick~

color preferences (1st is fav and so on):

198732583 wrote:
Oh Ajani seems to like Elpheth's milk, meow.

I really wish Wizards would change this, it would open up a lot of design space for ability words. I'd like to see things like "Draw 2 cards. Until end of turn, treat all hellbent abilities as if you had no cards in your hand" or, as mentioned, "~ has the landfall/batallion abilities of creatures you control". Maybe even "Put target creature witha metalcraft ability from your graveyard onto the battlefield. It gains haste. Treat its metalcraft abilities as if you control 3 artifacts. Sacrifice it at the end of turn."

Having ability words just be themes with names is really limiting to the game overall.

I really wish Wizards would change this, it would open up a lot of design space for ability words. I'd like to see things like "Draw 2 cards. Until end of turn, treat all hellbent abilities as if you had no cards in your hand" or, as mentioned, "~ has the landfall/batallion abilities of creatures you control". Maybe even "Put target creature witha metalcraft ability from your graveyard onto the battlefield. It gains haste. Treat its metalcraft abilities as if you control 3 artifacts. Sacrifice it at the end of turn."

Having ability words just be themes with names is really limiting to the game overall.

Correct me if i'm wrong. But I think only static abilities can be keyworded.

Keywording something that needs reminder text isn't a good idea. Also, battalion does something different on each card it shows up on. So it really isn't an ability word.

If you print a card that says 'target creature gains battalion". It wouldn't do anything. 
Um, yes Battalion is an ability word, because it's only consistent rules text is "Whenever ~ and at least two other creatures attack". Landfall simply checked for land entering the battlefield under your control and Metalcraft checked if you control three or more artifacts. Ability words don't have specific effects, just common conditions or triggers that yield varying effects.

I think they should make a battalion creature that grants +X/+X to attacking creatures where X is the number of attacking creatures. So the bonus will be at least +3/+3. Ah, but that sounds like a mythic. +1/+1 to all attacking creatures at least would be nice.

Correct me if i'm wrong. But I think only static abilities can be keyworded.

You're wrong. Flashback is an activated ability, as is scavenge. Extort and Undying are triggered abilities.  

Keywording something that needs reminder text isn't a good idea. Also, battalion does something different on each card it shows up on. So it really isn't an ability word.

As Manite pointed out, it's an ability word by definition. 

If you print a card that says 'target creature gains battalion". It wouldn't do anything. 

No you could not, and I did not suggest that. What I said is that cards should interact with ability words. This was also why I used words like "battalion ability" and "Metalcraft ability" instead of just saying Batallion or Metalcraft. It's to indicate that Battalion is not the ability itself, but a specific class of ability. The fact that it's different on each card is what would make interacting with it interesting and open up more design space than wehave with simple keywords.
I don't find it implausible for a Battalion card to be printed similar to Hero of Bladehold.

Who said it was the Battalion mechanic that would get the token making clause? Maybe it will just be "Whenever ~ attacks, put two 1/1 soldier creature tokens tapped and attacking" which then activates the Battalion trigger in and of itself, like "All creatures you control gain first strike until end of turn" or something to that effect.

It would easily be a mythic battalion card as it would activate itself. I find that completely feasible.
Puresteel players unite! [Archetype] PURESTEEL
In that scenario, Battalion wouldn't trigger when the tokens hit the field since it says "Whenever this and at least two other creatures attack", meaning the tokens have to be declared as attackers. They're put onto the battlefield tapped and attacking; they were never declared as attackers because they didn't have to be. The next time around, though, they will trigger Battalion.

I would prefer a creature that enters the battlefield with two tokens and has a Battalion ability. That alone would work well for Battalion and could easily curve out of a Fervor to give your three creatures haste.

To get a similar effect, you could have two haste tokens enter the battlefied at the start of the combat phase and exile them at the end of combat.  Of course, the tokens could be messed with before they are able to attack.

Cheers
Ït will be monowhite, and it will be rare or mythic, and it will cost 20$.
A wise man on film sequels:
Watching sequels to really good films is like visiting a bollock kicking parlour, paying your money and then proceeding to get your bollocks kicked...then leaving and returning at a later date to repeat the process. -iamthehollow
Decks: :R::G: Karn Tron :R::U: Bloody Fish There Will Be Blood (movie).
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt