DMing first time

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Ok so ive finnally got a group of players together set to play next week sometime, we are all new players and i have been ellected to be th Dm.
I would just like some suggestions on where people would suggest starting?
also with the diffrent worlds,
are they stand alone of one another?
is there some Chronological order?

Ill possibly post more questions as they come to me.
Ok so ive finnally got a group of players together set to play next week sometime, we are all new players and i have been ellected to be th Dm.

Please do post more questions. And welcome.

Here's the thing: most of the questions you have, can and often should be answered by you and your players. There are official details, but nothing is required of you in terms of how you use the material. Work with your players to find out what you all would find interesting and try not to worry about getting the details (or even the rules) exactly right. Focus on trusting one another, rather than the game. The game is just there to give a little structure to your collaboration.

Good luck.

If I have to ask the GM for it, then I don't want it.

If by worlds you mean things like Eberron and Forgotten Realms, then yes they are separate. But, that doesn't mean you can't mash them together. The cool thing about D&D is that you can do whatever you want. If you want to take Baldur's Gate and put it in Dark Sun, you can. One thing that helps me (and I don't have a lot of experience either) is just going with the flow. It may seem intimidating, but once you get a few sessions under your belt it gets easier. And also, your job is to present the players with problems. Their job is to come up with a solution. So don't worry about, 'how am I gonna get the players out of this?' That's where the fun for the players is. Remember, it's just a game.
Thank you Both.
yes that is how i ment worlds, Which do you play?
forgotten realms has caught my attention so i think we will play the red box encounters followed by forgotten realms.
I don't actually use a published setting. I have my own that I've cobbled together. But I know that Forgotten Realms tends to be the most popular. Personally, I like Eberron because I think there's a lot of leeway in terms of incorporating more modern things into it. Like, you can have sending stones that look more like modern mobile phones or magic powered carriages that resemble cars, etc. 
Forgotten Realms is a more traditional fantasy setting. As is Greyhawk which is hard to find now. Knights, Damsels, Elves, Dwarves, confused mages etc.

Dark Sun is as much a survival in desperate times setting as anything else. Sand sea's lots of insect creatures a higher incidence of psionics. In a way Dark Sun is a post apocalypse setting centuries after the event that wiped out so much life. Life is very hard in the Dark Sun setting.
Magic saps the life out of the planet and years of it's use have turned the world into what it is.

Nentir Vale seems to be the new setting and has a lot of promise though only the one region is really explored, so I don't know if this would qualify as a world setting. Still it is a great setting for the Heroic Tier level as there are many ruins to explore and adventure to be had. The area has several rabble rousers (Tribes of Orc's, Knolls, Goblins, Kobolds, The Iron Circle Mercenary Company, and other forces including a few dragons with minions.) So there is always something for characters to get involved in.

Eberron is one of my favorites as well.  Unlike Forgotten Realms which is stuck in the pseudomiddleages of fantasy. Eberron has evolved they have made advances. Eberron is a very modern type setting even with some sci-fi elements to it. It has sentient robots (Warforged) and yes one of them is on the way to becoming a god with many followers. Think scary Terminator scenarios. Eberron also as the other poster mentioned has magical versions of modern convienences. Which makes some people new to D&D much more comfortable with the setting. It has it's airplanes (Elemental ships) it has trains (Lightning Rails), it has phones (Sending Stones). While Darksun is a world that seems centuries after it's apocalypse Eberron is set right after it had it's own version of Hiroshima occur.  One country was utterly wiped out in such a destructive way that the rest of the continent that had been locked in war stopped for a moment in horror. Most likely wondering if the wars would lead to such an incident happening again. Enter the Cold War Era.  The surviving Kingdoms have signed a treatise and an unstable peace hangs in the air. Lot's of spy action, building up for another possible war or working to avoid one is going on.

Though these worlds have a lot of sourcebooks out mostly 3.5, you could invent your own complete world too.  It just depends what stories you want to tell.

Here's the thing: most of the questions you have, can and often should be answered by you and your players. There are official details, but nothing is required of you in terms of how you use the material. Work with your players to find out what you all would find interesting and try not to worry about getting the details (or even the rules) exactly right. Focus on trusting one another, rather than the game. The game is just there to give a little structure to your collaboration.

This, big time.

I'm a fan of Eberron with Dark Sun coming in at a distant second. My recommendation, however, is that unless everyone at the table is familiar with and excited about a particular published campaign world (and also doesn't sweat every canonic detail), you should just make up the setting together, each person adding things they find interesting without blocking the contributions of someone else. This way, everyone has a vested interest in the world and in seeing how their ideas affect the adventures in which their characters will partake.

No amount of tips, tricks, or gimmicks will ever be better than simply talking directly to your fellow players to resolve your issues.
DMs: Dungeon Master 101  |  Find Your GM Style  |  Structure First, Story Last  |  No Myth Roleplaying  |  5e Monster Index & Encounter Calculator
Players: Players 101  |  11 Ways to Be a Better Roleplayer  |  You Are Not Your Character  |  Pre-Gen D&D 5e PCs

Content I Created: Adventure Scenarios  |  Actual Play Reports  |  Tools

I'm Recruiting Players for a D&D 5e Game: Interested?  |  Follow me on Twitter: @is3rith

D&D is a fanatsy RPG that plays on its own.
There are campaign world settings that are optional to use.
You can always create your own advcentures and areas to throw the players in.

Have you had player experience in the game?
If not, then you got your work cut out for you since not only do you have to know the rules but also be responsible with the planning and creating of the adventures.

Luckily there are premade adventures that are free to download on the net which are not always specific to a campaign setting and can be easily altered to fit whatever world you want.

The Red Box adventure is an excellent start, as are the Living Forgotten Realms Adventures

with the diffrent worlds, are they stand alone of one another?

Yup. They are alternate universes. They often share the same cosmology though.

Sign In to post comments