upkeep timing

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
My turn has started I have a Galvanoth on the battlefield. Am I correct in saying that my opponent (at this point) cannot play a spell untill the galvanoth's ability has already been put on the stack and until I relenquish priority. I want to play Mystical Tutor after Galvanoth's ability hits the stack, he wants to terminate my galvanoth to keep this from happening. He should have played it before the beginning of my turn correct. Do I have the process down right. My untap step ends, thus beginning my upkeep, this would trigger galvanoths ability, at this time I can play my tutor, so it goes on top of the stack, I then give up priortiy, then my opponent plays his terminate. The stack resolves: Galvanoth dies, I search and put whatever on top of my library, I reveal it then play it for free assuming it is a sorcery or instant of course. Sound about right?
My turn has started I have a Galvanoth on the battlefield. Am I correct in saying that my opponent (at this point) cannot play a spell untill the galvanoth's ability has already been put on the stack and until I relenquish priority. I want to play Mystical Tutor after Galvanoth's ability hits the stack, he wants to terminate my galvanoth to keep this from happening. He should have played it before the beginning of my turn correct. Do I have the process down right. My untap step ends, thus beginning my upkeep, this would trigger galvanoths ability, at this time I can play my tutor, so it goes on top of the stack, I then give up priortiy, then my opponent plays his terminate. The stack resolves: Galvanoth dies, I search and put whatever on top of my library, I reveal it then play it for free assuming it is a sorcery or instant of course. Sound about right?

You have it correct.  In all steps, no player gets priority until triggers have been put on the stack.   If your opponent wants to stop the ability he needs to kill the Galvanoth it triggers (in the prev turn as you note), or use something like Trickbind on it.