Old player wanting to get back into it.

23 posts / 0 new
Last post
I used to play Magic pretty heavily back in high school and even a little before then. Mostly casual. Last couple times I had played were just in local Friday Night Magic things and one small tourney. Been seeing a lot of old friends playing pretty heavily and am thinking about getting back into it. Figured there isn't a much better place to ask a few questions.

I can't even REMEMBER the expansion I played with last. Quite sometime ago. So how are the expansions lately? As far as the most recent block and maybe the previous one? I've heard mixed feelings a lot about both of them.

My play style changes a lot depending on my mood so I don't have a one specific way I like to play. Any input and tips for the newer versions would be appreciated though.
I am Red/Black
Welcome back to it

You're always gonna get mixed feelings about new sets. I haven't been that impressed with the Return to Ravnica block so far, but I think that's just a product of Ravnica being on of my favorite blocks of all time and having very high expectations for RtR. It's a good block so far though. I liked Innistrad better.

Input and tips need some more info from you. What would you like to get back into? Is it the FNM scene, or friends hanging out playing casually? 
Both really. I have a few spare cards lying about and I actually just bought a few boosters from Gatecrash and can see that it's mostly multi colored, which I like although I am TERRIBLE and building multi color decks.

For the most part though, I enjoy having some casual, themed decks for playing with friends(I'm a sucker for theme decks) and have some serious face decks for FNM. Thinking about just getting a booster box for me and a buddy to play with since I have the money to throw around right now.
I am Red/Black
if you like casual theme decks check out the "duel decks"
that's what I use for casual play
proud member of the 2011 community team

I actually picked up the Niv-Mizzet and Golgari duel decks yesterday, mainly because I remember Niv-Mizzet from the older expansions. they're pretty fun although the Niv-Mizzet deck needed some tweaks, especially when played against the other deck.
I am Red/Black
that is the best duel deck so far (I have almost all of them)
Izzet needs some help, true, if it can't stop Golgari early on it will be overrun

but I also had success with it, against my roommate who admittedly just started playing Magic ;)
There were just a few cards in it that I found kind of useless. Golgari's was fairly playable out of the box though. I'm particularly fond of the dredge mechanic. My friend anihlated me with that deck a few times with me using the other duel deck and another one he had lying around. I think Ajani's. I may just go buy a booster box since I'm kind of itching to play. Can't decide which version though
I am Red/Black
if you buy a box go for RTR or GTC
the Shocklands in there make it more likely that you break even
So how are the expansions lately? As far as the most recent block and maybe the previous one? I've heard mixed feelings a lot about both of them.

I think the Return to Ravnica block has been great so far. There are a couple of cards people complain about (e.g. Thragtusk), but if you go to store events, you will see a lot of different decks played, which I think is good for the game.

So how are the expansions lately? As far as the most recent block and maybe the previous one? I've heard mixed feelings a lot about both of them.

I think the Return to Ravnica block has been great so far. There are a couple of cards people complain about (e.g. Thragtusk)

Which is extraordinarily odd, given that Thragtusk is not a card in the Return to Ravnica block.
Lol yeah. I've been watching a few games of people using him and he does seem annoying as long as the other player doesn't bounce or destroy it.
I am Red/Black
Which is extraordinarily odd, given that Thragtusk is not a card in the Return to Ravnica block.

Rephrased for my fellow members in the community who suffer from Literal Interpretation Syndrome:

"I think the Return to Ravnica block and the core set that accompanies it have been great so far. There are a couple of cards people complain about (e.g. Thragtusk)."

No need to get snarky. It really did read like you were saying Thragtusk came from the RTR set.
Oh, internet. In any case it seems like a good card and I actually might pick up a few at the local store. Building a black/green dredge right now. Bought one of those ravnica event decks and I'm loving it so far.

But final word of advice from anyone who cares to give it, I'll be getting a booster box next week, should I go for RTR or GTC?
I am Red/Black
Oh, internet. In any case it seems like a good card and I actually might pick up a few at the local store. Building a black/green dredge right now. Bought one of those ravnica event decks and I'm loving it so far.

But final word of advice from anyone who cares to give it, I'll be getting a booster box next week, should I go for RTR or GTC?

just take a look at the cards and guilds in both RtR and GTC and see which you enjoy more

~Your either my puppet or my matchstick~

color preferences (1st is fav and so on):

198732583 wrote:
Oh Ajani seems to like Elpheth's milk, meow.

depends if you have a favourite guild/color pairing

A new "duel decks" comes out semiannually.

In addition, every summer, there's a new product designed for casual formats. Some cards are designed specifically for that format.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
Moving to the New & Returning Player Forum.

Magic and Magic Online Volunteer Community Lead.

I'm trying to make my official VCL posts in purple.

You posted saying my thread was moved/locked but nothing happened.

Show
Unfortunately, VCLs do not currently have the tools necessary to take moderation actions directly. VCLs submit their actions to ORCs, who then actually perform the action. This processing can take between a few minutes and several hours, depending on how busy/attentive the ORCs are.

If you see something that needs VCL attention, please use this thread to make a request and a VCL will look at it as soon as possible. CoC violations should be reported to Customer Service using the "report post" button. Please do not disrupt the thread by making requests of either kind in-thread.

General MTGO FAQ

Yes, the Shuffler is Random!
The definitive thread on the Magic Online shuffler.

Magic Math Made Easy
Draw probabilities, Swiss results, Elo ratings and booster EV

Event EV Calculator
Calculate the EV for any event with a fixed number of rounds and prizes based on record

Dual means two. A duel is a battle between two people. Lands that make two colors of mana are dual lands. A normal Magic battle is a duel.
Thanks to PhoenixLAU for the [thread=1097559]awesome avatar[/thread]!
Quotables

Show
"While a picture is worth a thousand words, each lolcat actually produces a negative wordcount." -Ith "I think "Highly Informed Sarcasm" should be our Magic Online General motto." -Ith "Sorry, but this thread seems just like spam. TT is for off-topic discussion, not no-topic discussion." -WizO_Kwai_Chang "Stop that! If you're not careful, rational thinking may catch on!" -Sax "... the only word i see that fits is incompitant." -Mr44 (sic) "You know a thread is gonna be locked when it gets to the hexadecimal stage." -Gathion "It's a good gig" - Gleemax "I tell people often, if you guys want to rant, you've certainly got the right to (provided you obey CoC/ToS stuff), and I don't even really blame you. But if you see something you think needs changing a well thought-out, constructive post does more to make that happen." - Worth Wollpert
I can't really decide between RTR or GTC. They both seem pretty solid now that I really look into them. Maybe I'll just get both. Who knows.
I am Red/Black
Only invest in the cards that are usefull in modern and legacy, if you want a fnm deck get a couple event decks and smash them together.

Otherwise t2 is a waste of time and money.
Decks I play
Show
Legacy TezzFinityLegacy BurnModern Infect(need to break it) T2-dead
[sblock]
57307308 wrote:
Yes, but DOES HE PEE COLOURLESS MANA?
144543765 wrote:
144018173 wrote:
Serra Angel Serra Sphinx Serra Spider Though Vigilance is a poor fit for red, so I'm not sure if we'll ever see Serra Dragon. I could see Serra Demon, though.
Black Serra creature would have vigilance and fear. It would basically be Batman.
[//sblock]
I got that red/black Ravnica event deck. It holds up pretty well for the most part. Is Lightning Bolt still okay to use in standard? I can't remember the last set that it was in.
I am Red/Black
I got that red/black Ravnica event deck. It holds up pretty well for the most part. Is Lightning Bolt still okay to use in standard? I can't remember the last set that it was in.

Any time you have that question for any format or any card, head over to gatherer.wizards.com, look it up, and go to the 'Sets and legality' tab and see if it's listed as being legal in that format. If it isn't listed then the card isn't in that format.

Also: No. Last printed in M11. 
Immature College Student (Also a Rules Advisor)
No need to get snarky.

What a coincidence, because that's exactly the word that came to my mind when I read the response.