4-way FFA deck builds

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
I exclusively only play DotP in 4-ways with some friends. Kinda needing help with viable deck builds. Notably Grinning Malice, Rogue's Gallery, Mindstorms, Sky & Scale, and Berserker Rage. I mostly play against Obedient Dead, Ancient Wilds, Sepulchral Strength, and Grim Procession. Thanks in advance for any and all help.
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both orderly and rational. I value control, information, and order. I love structure and hierarchy, and will actively use whatever power or knowledge I have to maintain it. At best, I am lawful and insightful; at worst, I am bureaucratic and tyrannical.
I can post my GM build for you when I get home, but as a 4ffa player I'm sure you already know that it's not just the cut but how you play it. Cold War politics and Detante are the decididing factor most of the time. Let me sit there talking about cards and life and such as I'm building my mana base and you all are attacking each other because someone got aggresive and chances are, I win.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

Mastergear_Owen's take on Magic 2014 Campaign.

Show
You know what I've got more issues. Whats up with the story in this game? The adverts said I was going to team up with Chandra and we were going to kick butt and chew bubblegum across the planes on a revenge campaign against some... guy she knew I guess? Who's Ramaz anyway? What do I get instead? I beat Chandra like 2 minutes in with a mono-green stompy thing Garruk gave me (why does he keep giving all these new planeswalkers his deck) and then I spent like 5 hours jumping from plane to plane picking up random nicknacks for her mantlepiece while she sits back back doing her nails or something. I was thrown in jail! I got hit by a Roil Storm twice! Do you know how many rats are on Ravnica, Chandra? All of them! All of the rats! All of the rats eating me!

Then we go kick her Ex's bearded-screaming-butt and what does she do to help? Nothing! She throws of the occasional fire ball and spends her time trying not to freeze to death. You should have worn pants Chandra. While we're on the subject what happened to your shoes? You had like Steelies on. Steelies are cool. Now your running around with stupid boots with like 5-inch heels? Thats not appropriate footware for Planeswalking! That's not appropriate footware for normal walking! At least Liliana is doing it for the whole 'evil is sexy' thing and can summon undead to carry her when she breaks her ankle. What are you going to do ride a Phoenix? Its made of fire! You'll fall right through! Man I should have gone Planeswalking with Liliana - yeah she'd crack my head open with a rock 5 minutes in and raise my corpse to serve her but at least we could have gone dancing!

Now with more original content and open bar!

https://www.youtube.com/user/thedevilwuster

True. But I see multiple ways to build these decks. Just trying not to bash my skull in figuring out what should stay, and whats just not gonna work. GM is my biggest peeve. I love a lot of it's cards, but cant decide on a strategy for it. Discard? Aggro? What fatties stay? S*** like that.
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
I'm both orderly and rational. I value control, information, and order. I love structure and hierarchy, and will actively use whatever power or knowledge I have to maintain it. At best, I am lawful and insightful; at worst, I am bureaucratic and tyrannical.
Bloodchief Ascension is a 4ffa must. In combination with Pain Magnification they are brutal musts. Discard/Reveal/Damage/Creature I think is a must with Hellhole Rats and Singe-Mind Ogre.
Bituminous Blast always cascades into something useful, because if you up to damaging creature phase how can you resist a free Terminate.
Blightning plays in perfect with the Bloodchief/Magnification combo.

Late game belongs to Deathbringer Thoctar, Grave Titan, Massacre Wurm.

Malfegor wipes however many opposing creatures as cards in your hand.

Vexing Devil and Reanimate is a positive burn or 4, 1cmc 4/3's on the board.

Some give me crap for having Stabbing Pain. But I love the moments when I need to get some damage through, have 5 mana and don't want to thow out a Demigod of Revenge yet, Stab the opponents creature, play hellhole and attack for 2 hasty.

Kaervek the Merciless needs no explanation.

Hope this helps give you a direction to lean.
Try it out and see how it works for you.

Here's my build.

erdana; font-size:12px; border-collapse:collapse" cellspacing="0" border="0">

"Melkor's Drain"

60 Cards. 23 Lands (11 9; 3 other).

A library for Grinning Malice (Rakdos)

erdana; font-size:9px">Library code: ((((((((~~BHOQ3M~~Melkor's Drain~~2AyARws~~2?ihRFq~~2A=n3Lr~~1?8dgLJ~~1A3PIzm~~3?uRgDO~~2=mfYad~~2=9hrMa~~1=wG5WX~~2A5j6MB~~1BlInlZ~~1Ao3QIa~~4AR1MGf~~3?JDdWS~~2=gmu2K~~1?5rWVS~~2?rA7I7~~2?3aFm3~~1=bsgK2~~1?LJ3Vt~~1=LRljX~~1Bt3kN6~~1BlYW0C~~1BIRTB=~~))))))))

Land 
 Spell ■■■ Evolving Wilds  [/m]Land[m
   cost  
 Creature ■■ Vexing Devil  4/3   
 Spell ■■ Bloodchief Ascension   
■■ Reanimate   
 Stabbing Pain   
   cost  
 Creature  Sootstoke Kindler  1/1  (
 Spell  Demonic Tutor   
■■■ Terminate   
   cost  
 Creature  Ashenmoor Gouger  4/4  ()()(
■■ Hissing Iguanar  3/1   
 Spell ■■ Blightning   
 Chaos Warp   
 Pain Magnification   
   cost  
 Creature  Ashenmoor Liege  4/1  ()()(
■■ Hellhole Rats  2/2   
■■ Singe-Mind Ogre  3/2   
 Spell ■■ Wrecking Ball   
   cost  
 Creature ■■■■ Demigod of Revenge  5/4  ()()()()(
 Spell ■■ Bituminous Blast   
   cost  
 Creature  Deathbringer Thoctar  3/3   
 Grave Titan  6/6   
 Malfegor  6/6   
 Massacre Wurm  6/5   
   cost  
 Creature  Kaervek the Merciless  5/4   

erdana; font-size:9px">Get the deck planner used to make this table.>>>

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

Show
You know what I've got more issues. Whats up with the story in this game? The adverts said I was going to team up with Chandra and we were going to kick butt and chew bubblegum across the planes on a revenge campaign against some... guy she knew I guess? Who's Ramaz anyway? What do I get instead? I beat Chandra like 2 minutes in with a mono-green stompy thing Garruk gave me (why does he keep giving all these new planeswalkers his deck) and then I spent like 5 hours jumping from plane to plane picking up random nicknacks for her mantlepiece while she sits back back doing her nails or something. I was thrown in jail! I got hit by a Roil Storm twice! Do you know how many rats are on Ravnica, Chandra? All of them! All of the rats! All of the rats eating me!

Then we go kick her Ex's bearded-screaming-butt and what does she do to help? Nothing! She throws of the occasional fire ball and spends her time trying not to freeze to death. You should have worn pants Chandra. While we're on the subject what happened to your shoes? You had like Steelies on. Steelies are cool. Now your running around with stupid boots with like 5-inch heels? Thats not appropriate footware for Planeswalking! That's not appropriate footware for normal walking! At least Liliana is doing it for the whole 'evil is sexy' thing and can summon undead to carry her when she breaks her ankle. What are you going to do ride a Phoenix? Its made of fire! You'll fall right through! Man I should have gone Planeswalking with Liliana - yeah she'd crack my head open with a rock 5 minutes in and raise my corpse to serve her but at least we could have gone dancing!

Thank you. I'll bust your build out tonight on some friends/foes!
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Bloodchief Ascension is a 4ffa must. In combination with Pain Magnification they are brutal musts.

IMO those cards are nearly auto EXCLUDES in 4ffa.  Dropping an Ascension is like sticking your bare ass out the window and painting a big red target on it.  "Hey guys, come and kill me, PLEASE."  Pain Magnification is a little less so, but I sure as hell wouldn't drop it as early as possible.  Wait till you have board presense and atleast one of the opponents is dead.

You're a lose cannon.

"I played 70 card decks before it was cool to play 70 card decks." -Random M:tG hipster

Don't be afraid of dropping dangerous things like ascencion when you play with us on TNT, cuz there is no ganging up.

Tonight is on guys, let's do this!!!!
Don't be afraid of dropping dangerous things like ascencion when you play with us on TNT, cuz there is no ganging up. Tonight is on guys, let's do this!!!!

There is no predetermined or planned ganging up.  If you drop something that threatens all 3 of your opponents then all is fair IMHO.

You're a lose cannon.

"I played 70 card decks before it was cool to play 70 card decks." -Random M:tG hipster

Bloodchief does pain a target but it's ability outwieghs that for me.
Damage to any opponent puts on counters and instead of 1, I have 3 opponents.

Show

The problem with Bloodchief is that it threatens all three opponents while you benefit. Everybody reaps the "benefits" of Stabbing Pain (i.e. they can all make opponents discard, but you don't gain life and a target around your neck) so it's less of a "This dude needs to die now" card than Bloodchief. Granted, the two cards are exponentially better together, so I wouldn't exclude them, just be careful about when to play them. Ideally the moment that people start making their moves, you want those two down as fast as possible.

For SaS, I'd exclude the Mystic Snake and Draining Whelk as SOMEBODY is going to have the instant kill to negate the effect. If you guys are cool with avoiding that (you said you play with friends, so if there's an agreement to avoid that glitch...) I'd definitely include them. Multani (or whoever has p/t equal to all cards in hand) is an obvious include. Same with Simic Skyswallower . Personally, I'd drop Momir, which hurts, but I don't see him surviving very long. However, he might be able to sneak through because he isn't quite the threat some of those other decks have.

I'll see if I can't get some actual decklists out there when I get home, but it's far too much work here at University. 
For SaS, I'd exclude the Mystic Snake and Draining Whelk as SOMEBODY is going to have the instant kill to negate the effect. If you guys are cool with avoiding that (you said you play with friends, so if there's an agreement to avoid that glitch...) I'd definitely include them. Multani (or whoever has p/t equal to all cards in hand) is an obvious include. Same with Simic Skyswallower . Personally, I'd drop Momir, which hurts, but I don't see him surviving very long. However, he might be able to sneak through because he isn't quite the threat some of those other decks have.

Yeah, we don't allow blatant use of glitches in our game.  Atleast, I don't think we do.  We've never had anyone do it before so it's not a topic that's come up, but I'd certainly say something to someone who did it, and would be reluctant to allow them in my lobby again unless they acknowledge the fact that it was wrong and agree not to do it again.

You're a lose cannon.

Here's my GM 4ffa build.

2 Evolving Wilds
2 Reanimate
2 Typhoid Rats
2 Vexing Devil
1 Demonic Tutor
3 Traumatize
3 Ashenmoor Gouger
2 Blood Cultist
1 Lyzolda
1 Pain Magnification
2 Rockslide Elemental
2 Ashenmoor Leige
1 Blazing Specter
2 Hellhole Rats
3 Wrecking Ball
2 Bituminous Blast
4 Demigod
2 Grave Titan
1 Massacre Wurm

You're a lose cannon.

Sign In to post comments