Pro Tour Gatecrash in Montreal

32 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is to discuss Pro Tour Gatecrash, which begins Friday, February 15. The three-day live video webcast begins at 9 a.m. ET on Friday. To find the start time in your time zone, visit the webcast home page.

The Pro Tour formats are Standard Block Constructed and Gatecrash Booster Draft, with a Standard Top 8. Friday and Saturday each begin with Booster Draft, a change from previous Pro Tours.
Not a fan of less feature matches.  That and decklists are the main things I view event coverage in order to read.
I never actually read the feature matches. It feels mostly like dead text to me anyways. I really love the video matches and the written features so I'm all for the change.
Not a fan of less feature matches.  That and decklists are the main things I view event coverage in order to read.

I agree. Written features have always been my favorite part, followed by decklists. I remember in the past following events where there were multiple written feature matches every round. I like this "improved" coverage less and less. I can't watch the stream while at work and don't have the time to sit through hours of video at home. I can sneak in a written feature match or two at work or make time to read a few around the busy schedule at home. In addition to being able to read about a feature match in much less time than it takes to watch it, I enjoy reading much more than I enjoy mindlessly watching or listening to coverage.

For the video coverage I have watched, it usually is fairly bland. How about getting the winner of ALL feature matches into the booth immediately for a post-round interview asking about the match-up, their plays, what other lines of play they considered, etc.? They do this for many e-sports and it makes the players much more engaging.
On a different topic:  I'd like to know what led to the decision to hold the February Pro Tour in Montreal, whose average high temperature in February is below freezing.

Last year's first Pro Tour was held in Honolulu, which is warm even during winter (speaking of the Northern Hemisphere, where the overwhelming majority of Magic players and people in general reside.)  This winter warmth was used as a selling point to encourage PTQ-Dark Ascension participation.  

Also, this year's May Pro Tour is in San Diego, which also has a mild to nonexistent cold season.   Why weren't the two sites switched?  Montreal is pleasant in May and San Diego is pleasant year-round, including in winter.  
Personally I'll be sad to see the written reports reduced, because I just don't have the crazy quantities of free time needed to follow the live stream.

Also, whilst I'm commenting on coverage: could the coverage team please make a special effort to update the round-by-round results in a timely fashion? At GP London they were lagging about two hours behind the action, which is a bit useless!
Thank you for the cards in hand feature. It makes watching the play alot easier.
On a different topic:  I'd like to know what led to the decision to hold the February Pro Tour in Montreal, whose average high temperature in February is below freezing.

Presumably they view "able to survive in arctic temperatures" as part of the skill involved in pro Magic.
Where can we find decklists from todays matches?  Anywhere?
56735468 wrote:
Residual energetic and psychic emenations from the spark of planewalkers going in and out of the blind eternities like it was a windmill eventually coalesced into beings named eldrazi who by their very nature could not consume mundane sources of nourishment to sustain their existence.
Strongly disagree with this decision.  I can read dozens of times faster than I can listen, and I can scan through the text for the interesting parts.  I've never watched the videos and bemoan the shrinking written coverage.  Who has the time to watch hours of other people playing Magic?
The % of players playing each specific deck listed on your website is obviously incorrect. 43 players can't be 10.7% of a group while a different 41 are 6.7%, I dunno about the rest I stoped reading there.
Please mute the announcer during the draft... I don't really care if they have 5 seconds or whatever. I rather listen to the commentators
Please fix the Draft Viewer for Day 2 Pod 1 - it shows Issac Egan's P1P1 as Plains - highly unlikely I would think.
Thanks. 
Fourth Pro Tour in 2014?  

*crosses fingers for a second sealed season each year*

*NOT TEAMS*  (keep a few team GPs, but keep it a novelty act, not a main course) 
Are the match videos archived somewhere or do I have to watch them live? I want to see some of the Standard and can't find the footage.
Are the match videos archived somewhere or do I have to watch them live? I want to see some of the Standard and can't find the footage.

Many of them are already on youtube. Check out the WotC channel, there they got most of the footage.
Announcers need work. Both of the announcers are talking about Melissa having to respect double searing spear so she might have to block his resto angel.  She had witchbane orb out.  They had already gone into details about that card.
Announcers need work. Both of the announcers are talking about Melissa having to respect double searing spear so she might have to block his resto angel.  She had witchbane orb out.  They had already gone into details about that card.

To be fair, she forgot too. After the match she told him she was trying to decide if it was more likely that he had somehting to kill the angel or double searing spear. It being a consideration means she forgot. 
Yeah, I heard that, and I thought the same you did.  I didn't mention it because I didn't hear everything she said and thought she may have been referring to him having double spear for her angel over having just one spear/azorius charm if flashed and then blocked.  She might've just made the same mistake though.

Was watching round 11 (round 3 of day 2 drafting) and I can't believe what I caught on camera.

At 4:02:30 time mark of the 12 hour feed, Melissa attacks with her Kingpin's pet, then Isaac Egan plays Aerial Maneuver on his armored transport plus extort to block.  Melissa lets it resolve then Grisley Spectacle's the transport befor blocks for the two for one.

Problem is Grisley Spectacle reads "Destroy target nonartifact creature"

Shame on both players, judges, and commentators for not noticing...could have been a different game if not for that blow out.
Others caught that as well--I didn't see that happen (wasn't watching at the time), but I remember someone else mentioning it on the chat.

Unfortunately, one of the sad truths about high-level paper play is that we don't have MTGO enforcing the rules--sometimes, things slip through the cracks and go unnoticed by everyone, even when a judge (and coverage!) is watching the table.

Come join me at No Goblins Allowed

Because frankly, being here depresses me these days.

Others caught that as well--I didn't see that happen (wasn't watching at the time), but I remember someone else mentioning it on the chat.

Unfortunately, one of the sad truths about high-level paper play is that we don't have MTGO enforcing the rules--sometimes, things slip through the cracks and go unnoticed by everyone, even when a judge (and coverage!) is watching the table.

And Wizards has made it their policy that video footage isn't valid for rulings so it is what it is.
When is live feed starting? It's after 11am est

It's already started. Try webcastplayer.wizards.com
Yea. I was there but it's not showing a feed on my iPad, kindle, or computer 
It's definitely not a problem with the feed. I've beenm watching for half an hour now.

I'm sorry I can;t be more helpful, but I really don;t nkow that much about stuff like iPads and such.

And Wizards has made it their policy that video footage isn't valid for rulings so it is what it is.

It would not have mattered if they had used the video coverage, because so much time had passed that they would have just left the gamestate as it was.
Thank you so much for bringing LSV in as a commentator, the puns are awesome!

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
I think Eric should have gone for the double Hellrider play instead of Aurelia. Then if you attack with just the riders and smiter, you do 6 to Tom off 'rider triggers, taking him below 13, and to get rid of Eric's reckoner Tom has to block with one of his own, losing it in a trade or chump, and then using the damage trigger to clear Eric's off the board. That gives Eric a trigger of his own to clear the last reckoner, and likely he can play Aurelia the followng turn for the win.
I was trying to find the video converage but I dont know where to find it of the situation around the Aurelia turn. It seemed like Efro had basically infinite gas in hand, and could only lose to the act realistically speaking. Its possible he simply didnt have the option of playing around act, as despite a mull to 5 Martell, it was a very excellent 5 with very good draws. I wanted to rewatch the coverage to see if he could, anyone have a link?

try the wizards youtube channel, it should be up within a few days. or there might be an archive on the dailymtg site or ggslive.com

Personally I'll be sad to see the written reports reduced, because I just don't have the crazy quantities of free time needed to follow the live stream.

Also, whilst I'm commenting on coverage: could the coverage team please make a special effort to update the round-by-round results in a timely fashion? At GP London they were lagging about two hours behind the action, which is a bit useless!

If they cut back on the match writeups to save manpower, I'd strongly suggest they dump the Cover It Live gimmick.  95% of that is giving match results one at a time.  Instead of having someone sit there doing that it would be much more efficient to use half the time getting all results up (something that ideally should be automated to your tournament software anyway) and the other half beefing up the text coverage in other way.

That aside, I again really like the video coverage and the improvement of the hand viewer takes away what was by far the weakest part of coverage.  So very well done.  (I do think Zac Hill's "lessons" segment was weaker this time though.  "The lesson is don't give up?"  One would hope the PT showcases more skill than that.)

If you're on MTGO check out the Free Events via PDCMagic and Gatherling.

Other games you should try:
DC Universe Online - action-based MMO.  Free to play.  Surprisingly well-designed combat and classes.

Planetside 2 - Free to play MMO-meets-FPS and the first shooter I've liked in ages.
Simunomics - Free-to-play economy simulation game.