How many elementals are bound in a lightning rail?

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
It is my understanding that the first and last wagon of a lightning rail are the "propelling" wagons. Does it mean that there are two elementals bound, one in each wagon?

Or is it only one, going back and forth between the wagons? 

I ask because recently one of my players has detached the first wagon of a lightning rail, and run away with it... Is the rest of the train stuck, or can it be propelled by the second elemental? 

My RPG Campaigns

I joke that D&D Next is what happens when, A Christmas Carol-like, 3rd & 4th edition's ghosts travel back in time to an evening near the end of AD&D 2E's life, and say "this is what is coming" and so AD&D 2E heads off in a different direction. So, it's like alt-reality AD&D 3rd, maybe?Cam Banks

In my memory it works exactly like a RL train in that there is only one locomotive with only one elemental. Obviously, with particular heavy loads I can imagine more are attached. Regardless, one elemental is bount to one ring and there is one ring to each locotomive. So if there are two, there are two elementals. Remember, the train consists of multiple wagons that can be attached and detached depending on the wishes of the operators. It is not one big item.
For some reason i thought there were two locomotives, one on each end of the train... O_o

My RPG Campaigns

I joke that D&D Next is what happens when, A Christmas Carol-like, 3rd & 4th edition's ghosts travel back in time to an evening near the end of AD&D 2E's life, and say "this is what is coming" and so AD&D 2E heads off in a different direction. So, it's like alt-reality AD&D 3rd, maybe?Cam Banks

I think there is written material that mentions having locomotives on either end, for tracks that do not allow turning around. The elemental in the rear cart would be rendered inactive in transit.

I don't think any publications mentioned that locomotives can push carts. I personally would be uncomfortable with it going well.
I don't think any publications mentioned that locomotives can push carts. I personally would be uncomfortable with it going well.

Why?

Why?

Pushing is fundamentally different than pulling.  You have a lot more stability/control when pulling than you do when pushing.

It is not exactly the same thing, but this is essentially the reason most cars are front wheel drive and why dogs pull a sled and don't push it.