Tiles!!?

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
So hers the issue. Players, all 5 of us want to use tiles and minis, and the Dm want to just use little grid paper and draw the maps and then try and use that for gaming.

Granted we use to play like that in 3.5, but 4th I think is really good for actually having tiles and minis.

Help?!

Does the DM have them already and just refuses to use them? Or does he just not want to go buy them.

If it’s the seconded, I’d just get a group pot going till you can afford some (they are cheap)

If not, then why do you all fill the deep need to use them?

I play a game where the DM bring a large Dry Erase board, it’s easy for him to draw a map out then erase/modify as needed, we all use little knick knacks as game pieces. A lot of people play without any of that in a pure verbal format.

I’d just ask the DM to upgrade to a Dry Erase board (trust me it works wonders) or just come to the understanding that DnD Does Not have to have Tiles/Miniatures to be effectively played.

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/1.jpg)

For one I have all the tiles for him to use. But doesn't want to. I also have the dry erase and minis for everyone to use.

I understand its not needed for play, as i stated we played like that is 3.5, but in 4th I find it a little more fun and easier for the 2 newbies we have in te grp.
I know a few groups that are verbal only, and for me it doesn't work as well because tactical planning is something I personally need to see.

Buy in this instance I can understand not using the tiles and I'm willing to bet that the DM feels the same way because it dampers creativity since you can only build what you have the tiles for. I have bought a roll of simple graph paper and use it to design my dungeons.

Perhaps your group should sit down and discuss the issue and come up with a compromise, since you already own a stock of minis I can't see why not use them to ease battle, and the tiles are perfect for the days when I can't prepare for the session.

Come up with some points on why you and others in the group want to use them and listen to why your DM refuses to use them.
Also I knew a guy that had a Dry Erase Grid Sheet (platic flexable sheet with grids on it) and he would just look at a book, count squares and draw it down. You could ebay this and then just draw to scale whatever he has drawn and use that as well.

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/1.jpg)

We all feel the need of the whiteboard, or tiles and minis because 3. Of us who have played for a long time like being tactical and arranging the battlefield to our choosing. And whith all the ouch pull slides that kinda come with 4e, it makes it so much smoother to see and move, rather then write, erase count, write, erase, count...etc.
It's not that i want it to take away from the Dm explain what we see in depth, we 3 just like it for combat so everything can be seen from a decent distance. We play on a 6ft table and a small grid pad will be hard to see.

I mean I agree with you all. I did enjoy playing totm (theater of the mind) back in the day. But now it's still there, but more tactical.
It does sound like a clash of gaming styles. Good luck getting it sorted out.
Tell him to use the tiles/minis, or someone else who is willing to accomodate the group's needs will DM; simple as that.

I don't see why he wants to use only grid paper, when the tiles are already grid-marked themselves and minis are a better visual than X's & O's and whatever the hell he could draw on the paper...
RIP George! 4-21-11 RIP Abie! 1-2-13
Funny Forum Quotes
[quote author=82733368 post=532127449]
58115148 wrote:
"You notice a large piece of mold clinging to your toothbrush. What do you do?" "I cast Fireball." "I run like hell!
63797881 wrote:
The standard d4 is somewhat (SOMEWHAT) rounded on the top, the older models are even flat. The Lego is shaped in such a way that in an emergency, you can use one as a makeshift surgical knife.
147742801 wrote:
57457938 wrote:
My wife asked me if her pants made her look fat. What do you think I said?
Wife: Do these pants make me look fat? RedSiegfried: I just killed a bunch of orc women and children.
63797881 wrote:
82733368 wrote:
28.) Making a "Drunken Master" style character (Monk or otherwise) does not require my character to be completely shitfaced, no matter what the name (and fun interpretation) implies.
29.) Making a "Drunken Master" style character does not require ME to be completely tanked, no matter how "in-character" I want to be..
I would suggest the wet erase game mat. It is a more direct step from the graph paper as he can draw all over it and you all can still use minis.
I would suggest the wet erase game mat. It is a more direct step from the graph paper as he can draw all over it and you all can still use minis.

Chessex has some nice ones. That's what I use when I need a map that doesn't quite fit what I have in map or tile form.
Tell him to use the tiles/minis, or someone else who is willing to accomodate the group's needs will DM; simple as that.

I don't see why he wants to use only grid paper, when the tiles are already grid-marked themselves and minis are a better visual than X's & O's and whatever the hell he could draw on the paper...

Your DM needs to join the rest of us in the 21st century.  Or the 4e era.  Or whatever.

Bring a wet/dry erase battlemat to the game and give him some markers and watch the lightbulb turn on over his head.  Just like graph paper only bigger.  As for minis, sure, they're great, but you can use anything ...  minis, pogs, pieces of paper, whatever.  I think when he sees how much easier it makes the tactica aspect of the game he will love it.  He might also realize that he can't get away with fudging positions, ranges, etc. anymore, and might hate that ... but he should try playing by the rules first.

If he's one of those folks who likes to make huge, intricate labyrinths that won't easily fit on a dry-erase mat, okay, I see where he's coming from, but you really only need the tiles or mat for combat situations.  For exploration you can still use graph paper since you can fit more on one piece.  But let's face it, most people don't get a kick out of mapping every corner of a dungeon anyway ... I wouldn't be surprised if most of the group would be happy with just a verbal description or handwaving the huge empty parts of the dungeon.

OD&D, 1E and 2E challenged the player. 3E challenged the character, not the player. Now 4E takes it a step further by challenging a GROUP OF PLAYERS to work together as a TEAM. That's why I love 4E.

"Your ability to summon a horde of celestial superbeings at will is making my ... BMX skills look a bit redundant."

"People treat their lack of imagination as if it's the measure of what's silly. Which is silly." - Noon

"Challenge" is overrated.  "Immersion" is usually just a more pretentious way of saying "having fun playing D&D."

"Falling down is how you grow.  Staying down is how you die.  It's not what happens to you, it's what you do after it happens.”

Your DM needs to join the rest of us in the 21st century.  Or the 4e era.  Or whatever.

Bring a wet/dry erase battlemat to the game and give him some markers and watch the lightbulb turn on over his head.  Just like graph paper only bigger.  As for minis, sure, they're great, but you can use anything ...  minis, pogs, pieces of paper, whatever.  I think when he sees how much easier it makes the tactica aspect of the game he will love it.  He might also realize that he can't get away with fudging positions, ranges, etc. anymore, and might hate that ... but he should try playing by the rules first.

If he's one of those folks who likes to make huge, intricate labyrinths that won't easily fit on a dry-erase mat, okay, I see where he's coming from, but you really only need the tiles or mat for combat situations.  For exploration you can still use graph paper since you can fit more on one piece.  But let's face it, most people don't get a kick out of mapping every corner of a dungeon anyway ... I wouldn't be surprised if most of the group would be happy with just a verbal description or handwaving the huge empty parts of the dungeon.

Yeah i hear ya ll, heres the funny thing though.  When he is a player in one of my games, he loves the tiles and minis cause he is also a very taactical player, so he really enjoyrs, couting this and that and seeing what he can do.  I just dont get that now that i want to take a break from DMing, he wants to be all tough and old school.  lol makes no sense.

Hes DMed before and is pretty good at it.  we will see i guess.  

Bring a wet/dry erase battlemat to the game and give him some markers

If the group provides the mat, the markers and the minis, in addition to requesting as a group to use more visual representations for combat and movement, see what the GM will do and say.

If the GM still says no, then you have a choice:
1. accept his way if you wish to continue play in his game
2. leave the group
3. give the GM a break from GMing, let him be a player in a game you will GM with minis, mats and markers (maybe he will like it and allow it after his break is done)

I have tons of tiles but I still use them for maybe 1/10 of my encounters because they just limit what you can build so much.

Are you sure he's against using minis at all or just doesn't like tiles? As like 6 other people have mentioned so far, battlemats provide all the flexibility of graph paper with the size and physicality of tiles. Seems like the perfect compromise.

If he isn't ready to invest in a mat without trying it, many types of giftwrapping paper have 1-inch grids on the back side. A couple bucks can get you enough big graph paper for a few test sessions.
Sign In to post comments