Languages for DDN

Regarding languages, sifting from the pdfs I found -

DDN : Abyssal, Aquan, Auran, Bullywug, Common, Deep Speech, Draconic, Dwarvish, Elvish, Gnome, Giant, Gnoll, Goblin, Halfling, Ignan, Infernal, Primordial, Orc, Sylvan, Terran, Undercommon, Yuan-ti.

1 - How do you learn new languages? I can't find anything in the docs

2 - is there really a need for primordial AND auran+aquan+ignan+terran?  the sounds a fire or waves makes may not be them speaking, it's just what _we_ hear.

3 - is there really a need for Bullywug and Yuan-ti? shouldn't they just get Draconic instead?

4 - I have a problem with Undercommon, I thought underdark races interacted even less than surface races?

Key things for D&D - Where is the character from and why do they do what they do? / Recurring NPCs - allies and enemies / Plot, World and Personal Events.

1) There is currently no way to learn new languages in this packet. Some classes may have the ability to understand other languages though.

2) We might since we don't know what's their distinction yet. 

3) Yes since those creatures have their own dialect, which differ from draconic. 

4) They do, which means they interact more between them and thus a undercommon language is established similar to surface common language. 
Is specific languages needed in the phb/mm or could it be an addition to setting books instead? Like we already see two interpritations of under common here that might both hold true in some settings.
I see languages as part of D&D from Basic to Advanced D&D. I don't see it as a module. From PC to NPC to monsters, all use languages.

FWIW, common and undercommun have been in the game since AD&D.
In that case I guess the real question about how many different languages should exist is: How many languages should you be able to learn. 
If you are a good linguist with 3 languages then 5 elemental might be too much.
If you are a goog linguist with 12 languages then its probably ok.

I really hope supernal doesnt rear its ugly head again, but thats just my personal taste.
I shouldnt reallt be voicing my opinion here as I dont like languages as a rpgtool. For me its always been a weird gamble you take at level 1: "Wonder if im going to need Aquan ever in this campaign. Oh well doesnt matter, the casters have tounges/comprehend language"
What is primordial? I've seen it referenced but there is no description of it and nothing seems to speak.

I've been using the old Int modifier = bonus language. It's pretty much the only houserule I use in the playtest, but there is no way to learn languages in the packets and languages are an important part of the game.
In 4th edition, primordial is:

Language     Spoken by . . .                       Script
Primordial     Efreets, archons, elementals  Barazhad 
trying to remember - one of the editions have language trees, so in this case Primordial would branch out into Auran, Aquan, Ignan and Terran, with someone being learned in Primordial could understand 50% of the other languages etc?

so draconic could be linked to bullywug, deep speech, yuan-ti
dwarvish to gnome, elvish to halfling
a link between celestial, infernal and abyssal would depend on the generic world history for these creatures

Key things for D&D - Where is the character from and why do they do what they do? / Recurring NPCs - allies and enemies / Plot, World and Personal Events.

checked my 1st ed DMG, there are alignment languages, and one for every type of dragon, naga and giant, but not Common or Undercommon

I couldn't find a rule about similar languages giving a bonus to comprehension, that must have been a house rule I read somewhere, but still an option to explore perhaps?

the old Int mod bonus for languages might be the ticket for now

trying to remember - one of the editions have language trees, so in this case Primordial would branch out into Auran, Aquan, Ignan and Terran, with someone being learned in Primordial could understand 50% of the other languages etc? so draconic could be linked to bullywug, deep speech, yuan-ti dwarvish to gnome, elvish to halfling a link between celestial, infernal and abyssal would depend on the generic world history for these creatures

I definitely support a system such as this

Someone who knows Draconic could potentially get +3 bonus to attempt to speak Bullywug etc

Then it would be much easier to classify smaller less important languages such as Auran/Aquan/Ignan/Terran into an Elemental or Primordial set
Playing through the Caves of Chaos for 5 sessions, we the players finally got sick and tired of not being able to interact with the goblins, orcs, and gnolls who didn't speak Common.  It felt like lazy storytelling.  Much like the post office deciding Saturday mail is over without Congressional approval, we basically declared that we were each taking a language for every point of intelligence modifer (like 3rd edition) and dared the DM to tell us no.  So far its worked out.  No one says no to a rule conducive to RP.

Vampire Class/Feat in 2013!

I prefer Next because 4E players and CharOpers can't find their ass without a grid and a power called "Find Ass."

Playing through the Caves of Chaos for 5 sessions, we the players finally got sick and tired of not being able to interact with the goblins, orcs, and gnolls who didn't speak Common.  It felt like lazy storytelling.  Much like the post office deciding Saturday mail is over without Congressional approval, we basically declared that we were each taking a language for every point of intelligence modifer (like 3rd edition) and dared the DM to tell us no.  So far its worked out.  No one says no to a rule conducive to RP.

Blame your DM because gnolls, orcs and goblins all speak common as default in the Bestiary.

Blame your DM because gnolls, orcs and goblins all speak common as default in the Bestiary.

Especially since a major point of that adventure - and one of the reasons it has remained a classic decades later - is the ability of the players to interact with the races and turn them on each other.

Carl
Sign In to post comments