Modern Technology as Magic Items - Calling all Dungeonmasters...

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
I was hoping to make a thread a little less controversial than topics such as alignment (volatile as religion and politics) or narrative vs. simulationism. A thread that hopefully will inspire ideas more than debate (as much as I like to argue there are plenty of other threads for that).

What would be a good magic item equivalent for various items of modern technology?

I'll start a list...

1 - Band Aids - Bandages of Cure Light Wounds, etc. - offers fast healing of specific wounds.
2 - Cell Phone - Figurine of Wondrous Power, Ivory Pigeon - functions somewhat like a sending spell with a random chance of dropping the call
3 - Compact Disc - Quaal's Silver Circle of Bardic Performances  - when used, the item has the effect of a bard's music ability, 40 cursed versions are known to exist; if played, various curse effects take place; whoever hears it must make a saving throw or suffer from a version of Otilukes Irresistible Dance or even Otiluke's Irresistible Song (just as deadly) or some other type of insanity.
4 - Coffee Pot - Beaker of Hopeful Awakening - up to 12 times / day creates a dark elixer. When quaffed, the wonderful potion grants resistance to sleep effects and despair effects and either removes fatigued status or changes exhaustion to fatigued
5 - Drone Technology - Constructs that can be commanded over a distance by means of an amulet
6 - Laser Pointer - Ring of Feline Madness - Creates a hypnotic pattern that affects creatures that are feline or part feline, including sphinx, manticore, displacer beast and weretiger
7 etc. - ???
A rogue with a bowl of slop can be a controller. WIZARD PC: Can I substitute Celestial Roc Guano for my fireball spells? DM: Awesome. Yes. When in doubt, take action.... that's generally the best course. Even Sun Tsu knew that, and he didn't have internets.
2 - Sending Stones
FWIW [4e designer] baseline assumption was that roughly 70% of your feats would be put towards combat effectiveness, parties would coordinate, and strikers would do 20/40/60 at-will damage+novas. If your party isn't doing that... well, you are below baseline, so yes, you need to optimize slightly to meet baseline. -Alcestis

Over the past few editions there've been a couple of versions of two-way radios/phones...

The Ammanuensis ritual is literally a copy machine, as is a scribe's quill or whatever it's called - a quill pen that auto-magically copies text. I think there's another item, may have been in the 3.5 magic item compendium book, that records sounds and plays them back.

Show

I am the Magic Man.

(Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.)

I am the Lawnmower Man.

(I AM GOD HERE!)

I am the Skull God.

(Koo Koo Ka Choo)

There are reasons they call me Mad...

6 - Laser Pointer - Ring of Feline Madness - Creates a hypnotic pattern that affects creatures that are feline or part feline, including sphinx, manticore, displacer beast and weretiger

Oh great... Just what I need, my cats jumping up on the game table even more than they already do XD
good times!
A rogue with a bowl of slop can be a controller. WIZARD PC: Can I substitute Celestial Roc Guano for my fireball spells? DM: Awesome. Yes. When in doubt, take action.... that's generally the best course. Even Sun Tsu knew that, and he didn't have internets.

Look up the Dragon Magazine (or maybe it was Dungeon) that had the Laser Pistol and Power Armor in it. These are good examples of “technology” in DnD, they are all good items (like 7 of them in the article) and each on a roll of 1 botched and had penalties (backfire, wrong direction ext)

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/1.jpg)

If you want to introduce a significant amount of technology Ultramodern4 and Amethyst are both good sources (Amethyst is available in 3e, Pathfinder, and 4e flavors).
Owner and Proprietor of the House of Trolls. God of ownership and possession.
I was actually trying to use technology (real or imagined) to inspire items/spells that aren't so much technology, but more 'low magic' or 'high magic'... a list a true Luddite/grognard would be proud of.
Like trains powered by telekinetics and/or sails & wind spellcasters instead of combustion engines?

Odds are, if 4-6 people can't figure out an answer you thought was obvious, you screwed up, not them. - JeffGroves
Which is why a DM should present problems to solve, not solutions to find. -FlatFoot
Best defense that I've read in favor of having alignment systems as an option
Show
If some people are heavily benefiting from the inclusion of alignment, then it would behoove those that AREN'T to listen up and pay attention to how those benefits are being created and enjoyed, no? -YagamiFire
But equally important would be for those who do enjoy those benefits to entertain the possibility that other people do not value those benefits equally or, possibly, do not see them as benefits in the first place. -wrecan (RIP)
That makes sense. However, it is not fair to continually attack those that benefit for being, somehow, deviant for deriving enjoyment from something that you cannot. Instead, alignment is continually attacked...it is demonized...and those that use it are lumped in with it.

I think there is more merit in a situation where someone says "This doesn't work! It's broken!" and the reply is "Actually it works fine for me. Have you considered your approach might be causing it?"

than a situation where someone says "I use this system and the way I use it works really well!" and the back and forth is "No! It is a broken bad system!" -YagamiFire

1 - Band Aids - non-magical wrapping soaked with healing salve
2 - Cell Phone - compact clairaudience item with a memory of set people to use on
6 - Laser Pointer - thin mithril cylinder with a continual light spell inside, thumb triggered switch to open the cover on one end