Gatecrash - Standout Commons and Uncommons

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
It's often that we as a community discuss the rares and mythics, but I never really see a thread dedicated to potentially playable commons and uncommons and their applications towards existing or new decks, which would be beneficial to everyone, but newer players moreso (assuming they read standard general).

If you have any commons/uncommons that you feel have potential, list em off!

Me:
Orzhov Charm - Unconditional removal with two highly situational yet potentially useful other modes.
Ghor-Clan Rampager 4/4 trample for 4 is pretty good, bloodrush makes it versatile enough to find its way into midrangy gruul/naya decks
Boros Charm - Duh.
Mugging - This could be the way that sligh decks punch through midrange threats. It's a pillar that can't be pointed at a player, but is always useful for combat regardless of what turn it is (always removes a guy from combat that turn).
Hands of Binding - another great enabler, this time for U based tempo decks.
I'm building Gruul Aggro, and I'll tell you that Rampager definitely makes the cut.

Also, Experiment One. With the number of aggressive 1-drops in Standard, It's not gonna be unusual for it to get to Wild Nacatl proportions.
I would have killed, literally ended someones life, to NOT have Arrogant Bloodlord riding a giant ant... Good times:
Show
but where DID the other fork come from?
Show
Lord_Zed: I was at my friends house when this happened. He's married and his wife was an excellent baker. She had baked a homemade apple pie the night before. I was hungry, and my friend convinced me to try those low carb monster drinks. Before this day, I had never triend energy drinks before. Boy was I in for a treat. When I tried that first monster, I really enjoyed the flavor, but the taste that it left in my mouth wasn't so good. What was my solution? Drink another! before I could finish drinking that 2nd monster, I felt it already kicking in(these drinks were not very far apart, we're talking minutes here) my friend decided that it was a good idea to whip out that fresh pie his wife made the night before. I didn't know what to do, since I felt incredibly invigorated, and at the same time, freaked out by the rush I was feeling, but I was also hungry, and my friend have me an entire plate with a fork and said "help yourself." He extended his saucer to me, and I cut him a piece of the pie and handed it to him, then I looked at the pie, noticed that the pie was in an aluminum holder, and dumped the entire pie onto my plate and started eating it with 2 forks. I don't know where I found that other fork, it probably came from my friend. Anyhow, his wife wasn't happy, and I was already in magical christmas land. 2 days later, I was in my friends bed and I slept for 14 hours. His wife outlawed my from having any of her baked goods for a while(which sucked because I could just show up at there house, steal some sweets, and leave) and said I couldn't have any energy drinks at her house, unless under close watch. My friend, on the other hand, had to take me out to a steak dinner, because apparently I won a bet where I climbed a tree and didn't die.
The great land debate:
Show
97563441 wrote:
Zendikar had fetchlands, and Worldwake had manlands. What are the new Scars duals called?
61325265 wrote:
Explosive Peanut Lightning lands. Well, that's just what I call them.
61325265 wrote:
58232598 wrote:
i'm just trying to figure out what the point of saying this is. it's just really random.
And so the pot met the kettle.
experiment one: This card is good. Not great, but very solid. A 2/2 for G is playable, especially in tribal aggro, and experiment one is probably slightly better than that.

burning-tree emissary: This card is potentially broken. It enables ridiculous aggro draws in decks with R/G (potentially in either red or green as well)

cloudfin raptor: may be playable if it finds a home 
Chapin wrote a rather long article about various "best ofs" in this set. He repeated himself a lot.

(at)MrEnglish22

I see what you did there.

I'm going to check that out. 
I'm relatively new, and I wasn't impressed with Experiment One. Maybe I was wrong in my judgment of it. Seemed like a bad card.
IMAGE(http://pwp.wizards.com/9103835396/Scorecards/Landscape.png)
I'm relatively new, and I wasn't impressed with Experiment One. Maybe I was wrong in my judgment of it. Seemed like a bad card.

Its a 1 mana 2/2 generally, with the potential to be more than that. Also survives Supreme Verdict.

(at)MrEnglish22

I'm just not sure how it seems bad. It's a green parish except it cares about curving, not tribal. It's not like it makes you jump through hoops, it just demands that your deck not suck.
76783093 wrote:
Luckily, we have stop-having-fun guys to remind us that having anything more than 60 cards in your deck is tantamount to being a rapist and anyone considering it should be strung up by their ****.

Alphabetically:

[C]Aetherize[/C] -  this is gonna wreck a whole lot of plans

[C]Boros Charm[/C] - obviously

[C]Cartel Aristocrat[/C] - 2 mana sac outlet that can sneak through

[C]Elusive Krasis[/C] - effective blocker that can turn into a monster quickly 

[C]Ghor Clan Rampager[/C] - awesome value

[C]Gridlock[/C] - very flexible tapout spell

[C]Ground Assault[/C] - good removal for midrangey decks in midrangey colors

[C]Nimbus Swimmer[/C] - I'm surprised that this card hasn't gotten a little more attention as it flies and can be a monstrous evolve trigger

[C]Simic Charm[/C] - 3 nice options on one card

[C]Skullcrack[/C] - anti-lifegain, anti-fog instant makes games faster and more fun

[C]Skyknight Legionaire[/C] - hasty, flying 2/2 human that drops into the 3 slot quite nicely for Boros battalion decks

[C]Wight of Precinct Six[/C] - a cheap creature that can be huge in decks with Drownyard, Mind Grind, etc. or against Reanimator.

[C]Wojek Halberdiers[/C] - 3/2 for 2 cmc that will usually have first strike when attacking given the decks in which it will be played

Am I the only one who likes Smite?

Alphabetically:

[C]Aetherize[/C] -  I wouldn't even play this in some limited decks

[C]Boros Charm[/C] - actually good

[C]Cartel Aristocrat[/C] - 2 mana sac outlet/combo piece that can sneak through

[C]Elusive Krasis[/C] - If you want an 0/4 wall you probably run more wraths than guys that trigger this.

[C]Ghor Clan Rampager[/C] - a good card, although it has nothing to do with "value"

[C]Gridlock[/C] - not constructed playable

[C]Ground Assault[/C] - removal for midrangey decks in midrangey colors which are prone to missing land drops lategame.

[C]Nimbus Swimmer[/C] - overcosted fatty that dies to removal and isn't even that good when it doesn't.

[C]Skullcrack[/C] - anti-lifegain, anti-fog instant makes games faster and more brainless

[C]Skyknight Legionaire[/C] - hasty, flying 2/2 human that would drop into the 3 slot quite nicely if the power level of creatures was what it was 10 years ago, for Boros battalion decks that don't actually exist.

[C]Wight of Precinct Six[/C] - a cheap creature that would be huge in decks with Drownyard if those decks wanted a 2 drop vanilla beater, Mind Grind, if decks actually played that, etc. or against Reanimator maybe.

[C]Wojek Halberdiers[/C] - 3/2 for 2 cmc that will usually have first strike when attacking given the decks in which it will be played

Fix'd

Why does everyone think I'm phantom lancer? QFT:

Show
139359831 wrote:
I hope all this helps you to see things in a greater light—and understand that Magic: the Gathering was really created by extraterrestials using Richard Garfield as a medium. The game itself reflects the socio-psycho realtivity between living beings, and the science that takes precedence over them—to define reality for them all (like telekinesis, weather, scientific reaction, phenomenon, ingenuity, how the brain works, etc.). I'd also bet there is an entity floating thousands of miles above us, looking down on the current state of game, shaking its fist like... "Wtf are you doing?! You're getting it all screwed up!". Awkward—to be evolved, and yet still subject to the ladder that is the concepts of the game. In this case, misconception, corruption, and deception. With the realities of each color becoming distorted (through oblivious designers), leading the game to reflect a false state of reality that warps the understanding that other people have about those things. For example, people thinking that white could be anything except pure good. This shouldn't be too far off though, I mean...Magic is designed based on reality after all, so that entity (those entities) should be subject to those things. Anyways, I guess when you're busy doing space stuff you can't always be around to ensure quality control. It's no wonder they choose Garfield, they're so much alike; that's exactly what happened to him and Magic.
166199665 wrote:
omg snortng so much febbdelicious /intocixated in rl

Alphabetically:

[C]Aetherize[/C] -  I wouldn't even play this in some limited decks

[C]Boros Charm[/C] - actually good

[C]Cartel Aristocrat[/C] - 2 mana sac outlet/combo piece that can sneak through

[C]Elusive Krasis[/C] - If you want an 0/4 wall you probably run more wraths than guys that trigger this.

[C]Ghor Clan Rampager[/C] - a good card, although it has nothing to do with "value"

[C]Gridlock[/C] - not constructed playable

[C]Ground Assault[/C] - removal for midrangey decks in midrangey colors which are prone to missing land drops lategame.

[C]Nimbus Swimmer[/C] - overcosted fatty that dies to removal and isn't even that good when it doesn't.

[C]Skullcrack[/C] - anti-lifegain, anti-fog instant makes games faster and more brainless

[C]Skyknight Legionaire[/C] - hasty, flying 2/2 human that would drop into the 3 slot quite nicely if the power level of creatures was what it was 10 years ago, for Boros battalion decks that don't actually exist.

[C]Wight of Precinct Six[/C] - a cheap creature that would be huge in decks with Drownyard if those decks wanted a 2 drop vanilla beater, Mind Grind, if decks actually played that, etc. or against Reanimator maybe.

Fix'd

Clever.  I laughed. 

I'll give you Legionnaire, Aetherize, and Gridlock. 

Gridlock, I think I simply misread somehow.  It is definitely not constructed playable. 

The others will probably find decks to call home.

After playing at the local FNM tonight with my mono-red aggro dollar deck (Seriously, I simply will not pay money for Vexing Devil, Thundermaw, Hellrider, or the like.  The most expensive card in the deck is 4 of Ash zealot... and it still goes 4-1/3-1 most of the time), I can honestly say that Burning Tree Emissary may be a thing, though not necessarily at the top tier.  Turn 1 cackler into turn 2 Emmisary + Lightning mauler was a pretty common play I made, and it wrecks house pretty hard.  Most any red based aggro deck could use it, as it simply puts a massive clock on the board.