What books do you want?

21 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi everyone.  I unfortunately haven't played D&D in quite awhile.  The group I DM'd for years kinda drifted apart.  But, the new edition has really gotten me fired up and wanting to play again.  I have been reading through the playtest packet and overall, I am happy with what I am seeing.  I also really respect the way that WOTC has reached out to players to see what we want in the new edition.  I was trying to think of how I would want to say what I would like to see without just making a giant wish list of random suggestions.  I suppose that when it comes down to it, the most concrete way we as players can vote for this new edition is by buying the books.  Here is the books I would like to see for the new edition and what I would like in them.  How about you?

First off is the covers.  In Jon Schindehette's recent Dragon's-Eye View article, this was discussed.  I personally loved the 3rd edition book covers.  They were interesting to look at and I think they captured the feel of Dungeons and Dragons better than any other edition before or after.  I am not too worried about this though.  Wizards seems to be doing some great work getting the right look for the new edition.  

For the first wave of books, I would like to see the tradition of collecting the three core books in a boxed set continued.  

Player's Handbook - This should have everything a player needs for their character from 1st to 10th level.  All the mundane items as well as what characters can craft (like potions and scrolls) should be included.  I do not know what the final say is on what classes and races will appear.  But, the playtest seems to be covering all the bases.  As long as it has all of those, I'll be happy.  I like the new character backgrounds, and I hope their will be more of them.  If a person just wants to join in on a group, this should be all they have to buy.  

Dungeon Master's Guide - I like the Dming advice given in previous editions.  But, I would prefer more tools to help me create my campaign.  Information on how to create NPC's or even new monsters.  A huge chapter on magic items that I can hide from my players.  I would also love to see a large list of traps that I can drop into adventures that I am writing.  Making the process of writing an adventure or even running a game on the fly without much prior planning should be the goal of this book.  

Monster Manual - Like the PHB, I think this should cover monsters from 1st to 10th.  I don't think that should exclude monsters because they have normally been saved for higher levels.  I don't need a 10th level elder dragon, but all five of the chromatic dragons should be presented up to their adult forms at least.  Even other monsters like liches, deathknights, beholders, should be scaled down (if need be) so they can be included.  This should be the definitive list of Dungeons and Dragons monsters.  One thing I would like to see considered with the monsters is grouping monsters that work well together around similar levels.  I liked how 4th edition made it easy to set up adventures by doing this.  

I guess it is easy to see that I think the core books should only cover 1st through 10th.  This is a personal opinion based on old games that I have ran or played in.  I think most of the time, after ten levels, players tend to get a little burnt out on their current characters and want to try something new.  

Even more books...

Player's Handbook 2 - This is where I think that options for higher level play should be presented.  One criticism I have on the new edition is that most of the classes look really boring past tenth level.  I think a basic class should only go up to tenth (kind of like what was done with D20 modern).  I liked 3rd edition's prestige classes and 4th's paragon and epic destinies.   I know my players liked them.  They tended to abandon their base class as soon as they could to get to them.  Giving players a big book of presting classes would be a great way to give them some new cool powers that helped define their characters as the high level butt kickers they are.  An advanced equipment list would be cool here as well.  Stuff like buying their own castles or strongholds would be a great way to help players spend their hard earned gold.  

Dungeon Master's Guide 2 - New rules for running high level games should be in this book.  For example, information on how to run a planar campaign or one where the players must venture into hell.  Kind of like a manual of the planes.  Like in the first DMG it should have a bunch of magic items and traps for the higher level group.  I think that this would also be a good place to include a chapter on artifacts that would not be appropriate for a lower level campaign.  

Monster Manual 2/3/Fiend Folio - This is where I think that higher level monsters should reside.  Since D&D next monsters scale up much easier and lower level monsters are still viable at higher levels, you would not have to waste room in this book with a bunch of new monsters to serve as high level orcs.  Although, things like demons and devils would be good in this book.This is where I would like to see named monsters like the Lords of the Nine.  Since the book would not be filled with so many different monsters, more room could be spent detailing out these high level threats.  What I would not want to see is a book of 20th level monsters.  For example, space the Lords of the Nine out over 11th through 20th.  

A super adventure/campaign book - It will probably take me awhile to get my own campaign put together.  Although I don't mind short adventures.  It would be awesome to have a full 1st through 10th level campaign so that I can jump right into playing the new edition.  It doesn't have to be a crazy deep story.  Give me a ten level dungeon full of monsters and traps, and a decently fleshed out town, and I'll be happy.  

Sorry to be so long winded.  I am looking forward to reading your responses.  

One Player's Handbook, One Dungeon Master's Guide.

Core books should include many advanced options and the 11-20 levels, I shouldn't have to buy twice as many books to play the game to my full enjoyment. An Unearthed Arcana style book with more obscure variant rules would be okay, but the tactical combat rules and such need to be in the core.

As for Monster Manuals, the more the merrier.
yes the box set is dated even for me as i love 1st edition and 2nd best. i would like to see one dms guide and one players handbook with rule sections starting with basic and going all they way to advanced and the monster books i agree the more the merrier
System Kernel Reference Manual.

Core books should include many advanced options and the 11-20 levels, I shouldn't have to buy twice as many books to play the game to my full enjoyment. An Unearthed Arcana style book with more obscure variant rules would be okay, but the tactical combat rules and such need to be in the core.

This.

This.

Ditto.

I would also like a Savage Species type deal for 5th Ed, able to play monster characters from 1st level, could be part of a rocking Unearthed Arcana, the 3rd Ed one is chock full of goodies.

I totally forgot about Savage Species.  I ran a short all monster campaign in 3e using it.  We had a lot of fun.  Great idea! Laughing
even though i don't play it, i'm a huge fan of Pathfinder's massive tome of a core book and i'd like to see 5e get a similar treatment at launch.

The demi-core books (= with new classes and PC races). Books about monster/racial classes, and alternative powers source with different game mechanic. 

I wish a new Oriental Adventures, and why not a 1001 nights (Oriental Adventures 2)?

I want Monster Manuals without wasted pages by innecesary maps of lost temples of background only I will read once.

I want player handbook 3 with +5 PC races. 

"Say me what you're showing off for, and I'll say you what you lack!" (Spanish saying)

Book 13 Anaclet 23 Confucius said: "The Superior Man is in harmony but does not follow the crowd. The inferior man follows the crowd, but is not in harmony"

"In a country well governed, poverty is something to be ashamed of. In a country badly governed, wealth is something to be ashamed of." - Confucius 

I'd love to see an "All in One" book like the Dungeons and Dragons Rule Cyclopedia of yester-year, with enough stuff packed in to run all the way to twenty, including a world setting.

Optional sidebooks:

"Book of Wizard Traditions" a book containing optional wizard traditions with additional Wizard Feats, Items etc.

"The Fighters Manual" a book of maneuvers, backgrounds and specialties for fighters

you get the idea.
8.8 My House Rules! (roll the d20) *click to roll*8.8
i want the core rules to be in as few books as possible as book prices inch up there each year getting highr and higher. i want the basic, standard, and advanced rules for 100 or less. and then if they release monster books or books for game worlds thats fine but i dont want to be buying players handbook 8 that too much

This.

Ditto.

Agreed!

In memory of wrecan and his Unearthed Wrecana.

5e should strongly stay away from "I don't like it, so you can't have it either."

I'd like everything to play in or run a game (except for possibly monsters) in one book. There really is no reason to have a PHB and a DMG as seperate books. If you keep all the rules in one location, it makes it much easier ("Which book was that rule in again?") and it ensures that everyone has their own copy of the rules, as opposed to a player just buying the PHB but having a single DMG per table.

In addition, I HATED the old mentality of putting magic items in any book OTHER than the PHB. It should be easily available. If a player wants to have magic items in a book available to him, he shouldn't have to buy an entire book devoted to something he doesn't do just to get magic items.

A single, massive book would be preferable. Monsters could even be included (and I think should be) but if they plan on releasing numerous MM's from the start, I could see seperating that, since monsters could easily fill 6 books.
I would like, aside from PHB, DMG, and MM (in no particular order):

- World Builder's Guide or other DM world-creation book. 1E had an amazing one. I really feel newer DMs would benefit greatly from a book like this. It helps in the creation of worlds, continents, NPCs, towns, pantheons, and so on.

- Villain's Lorebook: Full of advice on how to craft memorable, unique villains that are far and above the "evil necromancer at the top of the tower #4", or the "bigger, stronger orc at the end of the dungeon #6".

- Manual of the Planes: One that would present the Great Wheel, the World Axis, and advice and tips on creating your own cosmologies.

- Self-contained campaign settings. I don't want to spend $30 on the FR Player's Guide and another $30 on the FR Campaign Guide. Either combine them into one book, or go back to the boxed sets of 1E and 2E.

- Complete-series books. The perfect place for optional class and race rules. Complete Fighter's Handbook, Complete book of Elves, and so on.  Could even be combined into one large Unearthed Arcana-style book.

There are others, to be sure, but this is a good start.
"The world is indeed comic, but the joke is on mankind." - H.P. Lovecraft
I would like to see Races of expansions such as stone, the orient, and wild. I would also like to see class expansion books.
I honestly could care less. I just want adventures again...in some kind of normal release schedule. GOOD adventures that is.
My two copper.
pdfs.

Seriously.

There are literally no excuses not to do this.

I'd even take a dozen smaller pdfs if the total price added up to the equivilent to the pdf version of the core set.

I'm not too interested in 5 MMs. I make almost all my monsters by hand in 4e anyhow; for this reason, I would like for MMs to contain more types of monsters, simply because I don't need 6 different kinds of goblin. I know, however, that not everybody likes to hand-make their own monsters, so I'm not sure quite what I would like to see.

Maybe a small, 3-5 monster MM in every Dungeon web-issue?

Supporting an edition you like does not make you an edition warrior. Demanding that everybody else support your edition makes you an edition warrior.

Why do I like 13th Age? Because I like D&D: http://magbonch.wordpress.com/2013/10/16/first-impressions-13th-age/

AzoriusGuildmage- "I think that you simply spent so long playing it, especially in your formative years with the hobby, that you've long since rationalized or houseruled away its oddities, and set it in your mind as the standard for what is and isn't reasonable in an rpg."

even though i don't play it, i'm a huge fan of Pathfinder's massive tome of a core book and i'd like to see 5e get a similar treatment at launch.

As someone who plays a lot of Pathfinder, I thought this would be a great thing at first, but now I'd prefer it to be split in half. As a player I never look at the second half of the book, and as a DM I need to use the Gamemastery Guide just as much as the Core Rulebook anyway.
When it comes to expansion books i would like to see the class specific books as they where in earlyer editions disapear.
Instead opting form books that would ofer new options more equaly spread over the difrent classes.

Also i would like to see more campaign setting books so this could be couples with what I mentioned above.

so instead of the compleste class X books you would have books like :
the kar-tur players guide introducing oriental themed options for all classes.
Dragonlance players guide introducing player options for all classdes based on the dragonlance campaign, might include moon magic and rideble dragons

I'd rather not see this.  That book is a terror to carry around if you are carrying more books than just it.  Plus in terms of gateway price I'd rather be able to show someone a moderately priced player's handbook than a ridiculously priced all-in-one core rulebook.  I enjoy Pathfinder, but man I don't like that core book!

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/19.jpg)

I'd rather not see this.  That book is a terror to carry around if you are carrying more books than just it.  Plus in terms of gateway price I'd rather be able to show someone a moderately priced player's handbook than a ridiculously priced all-in-one core rulebook.  I enjoy Pathfinder, but man I don't like that core book!

I agree.  The inital idea of one giant core book sounds neat.  It has worked in the past with other games I've played.  But, I think D&D has far too much content to put into one book.  I've also always liked the idea of splitting up the books into player focused and DM focused.  If someone is a new or more casual player they can just buy the books they need to play the character they want.  I am rarely not the DM in the groups I play.  So I don't need a bunch of extra player centric content if I'm never playing a character.