Strange question that came up ....

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
First off I am playing 3rd E, so not sure if this matters or not, but my PC Ranger hit the level where he starts getting 2 attacks per round.

My question with this is two fold. 1) Is that only with melee attacks or do range attacks count as well?
                                               2) If he is ambedextorious would he get technically 3 attacks, or would he just get bonus to the 2 attacks?
First off I am playing 3rd E, so not sure if this matters or not, but my PC Ranger hit the level where he starts getting 2 attacks per round.

My question with this is two fold. 1) Is that only with melee attacks or do range attacks count as well?
                                               2) If he is ambedextorious would he get technically 3 attacks, or would he just get bonus to the 2 attacks?

IIRC: I think it will depend on ranged. If they're using a crossbow, likely not unless they have something like rapid reload that takes away the move action cost. And ambidextorious will only be the 2 attacks.
My username should actually read: Lunar Savage (damn you WotC!) *Tips top hat, adjusts monocle, and walks away with cane* and yes, that IS Mr. Peanut laying unconscious on the curb. http://asylumjournals.tumblr.com/
The Ranger's ranged is a compound bow ... I think it is a short bow, which makes no sense because he is an elf ... but the person playing him tends to be off about a few things here and there.
Could you be more specific?
Is he level 6 (have a BAB of 6)?

FWIW [4e designer] baseline assumption was that roughly 70% of your feats would be put towards combat effectiveness, parties would coordinate, and strikers would do 20/40/60 at-will damage+novas. If your party isn't doing that... well, you are below baseline, so yes, you need to optimize slightly to meet baseline. -Alcestis
He just hit level 6 ... so his BAB is +6/+1 .... does this apply to ranged, meaning does he get two attacks, ranged, per round with a bow
Yes it applies to bows, but only if he takes a full round action (the only movement he is allowed is a 5 foot step (but it can be before, after, or in between attack rolls).

And, assuming he is two weapon style, he gets 3 attacks with melee weapons (one main hand at +6, one off hand at +6, one main hand at +1 - of course these numbers are before adding any bonuses you have and before subtracting the penalties you take from dual wielding).
Again this takes a full round action, and the only movement he is allowed is a 5 foot step (but it can be before, after, or in between attack rolls).
FWIW [4e designer] baseline assumption was that roughly 70% of your feats would be put towards combat effectiveness, parties would coordinate, and strikers would do 20/40/60 at-will damage+novas. If your party isn't doing that... well, you are below baseline, so yes, you need to optimize slightly to meet baseline. -Alcestis
with two weapon fighting/ambidexterity any character that is of sufficient level gets two attacks with his primary weapon and one with his off hand.  There is a feat called improved two-weapon fighting (two-weapon fighting feat as a prerequisite) that allows for a second attack with the off hand weapon.  and with a compound bow he would get two attacks.  In both cases multiple attacks requires a full round action.

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/19.jpg)

RedSiegfried wrote:
The cool thing is, you don't even NEED a reason to say yes.  Just stop looking for a reason to say no.
Thanks guys ... I wasn't sure since the rules aren't really clear about it ... at least not any rules I could find.