Gatecrash - Orzhov Triple Play

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
I have an Orzhov Deck and I was looking at my side board.

Cartel Aristocrat, Orzhov Charm, Dying Wish

If I have a 1/1 Spirit Token (from Beckon Apparition) with Dying Wish, I beef it up with Gift of Orzhova and other Auras, *When I sacrifice the Token to Cartel Aristocrat (dealing damage and gaining life via Dying Wish), could I play Orzhov Charm to return the Auras to my hand and still deal the damage and gain the life?

I want to make sure I know about this because I do want to deal the damage and gain the life yet keep the Auras so that I could repeat the process.
When I sacrifice the Token to Cartel Aristocrat (dealing damage and gaining life via Dying Wish), could I play Orzhov Charm to return the Auras to my hand and still deal the damage and gain the life?

No.

If you sacrifice the token, the auras go to the graveyard before you can play anything else.
Orzhov Charm can only return creatures from the battlefield, not from the graveyard (there they are not creatures but creature cards (ok, in this case not even a card, because it is a token))

furthermore:
the token in the graveyard will have ceased to exist by the time you get priority
the token in the graveyard has no Auras attached to it
proud member of the 2011 community team
Alright, I should have seen that coming . . . . Let's say it is all on a Nip Gwyllion, How about it then?
still no
proud member of the 2011 community team
It still won't work. There's no time between activating the Aristocrat's ability - by sacrificing the Gwyllion, putting her in the graveyard along with her (now unattached) Auras - and it resolving where you can insert the effects of the Orzhov Charm. That is, you can respond to the Aristocrat's ability by playing the Charm, but the Gwyllion and Auras are already in the graveyard and beyond its power by the time you do so.

1. You announce the activation of Cartel Aristocrat and it goes to the stack and you set priority aside.

2. You pay its costs (sacrificing a 1/1 spirit token which triggers Dying Wish)

3. The activation is complete and State Based Actions check and see Dying Wish on the field attached to nothing and send it to the graveyard and the 1/1 token in the graveyard ceases to exist, then the Wish trigger is put on the stack targeting a player of your choice. SBA's check again, doing nothing.

4. You get priority back to cast Orzhov Charm, but the creature you wanted to target no longer exists and the aura that was attached to it is also already in the yard..

if you sub a Nip Gwyllion, there's no difference except that it'll still be in the graveyard (unlike the token)

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out