Encounters with Next rules

So my group will be using the Next rules for this season's encounters. I will be trying to replicate a paladin. He will be either a storm or war domain cleric. Maybe defender specialty. Can't decide between hill or mountain dwarf. Is accuracy still king in Next? Thoughts/ advice / insights?
So my group will be using the Next rules for this season's encounters. I will be trying to replicate a paladin. He will be either a storm or war domain cleric. Maybe defender specialty. Can't decide between hill or mountain dwarf. Is accuracy still king in Next? Thoughts/ advice / insights?

The Mountain Dwarf gains Armor Mastery, giving him/her proficiency with Light & Medium armor (in addition to proficiency in Heavy armor from being a Dwarf in general) and a +1 bonus to AC while wearing Medium or Heavy armor. This allows the Mountain Dwarf to cast spells in any type of armor.

The Mountain Dwarf also gains a +1 to Wisdom.

I would also suggest either the Knight or Noble Background for a Paladin build.

Your choice of the Defender Specialty is the obvious choice for a Paladin.
Having given this some thought on my own, you could also replicate something of a Paladin's laying on of hands ability with judicious use of the Healing Initiate and Magical Rejuvenation feats.
Is accuracy still king in Next?

Accuracy is pretty much always king. People only noticed it in 4e because it was harder to get bonuses and defense targets were set in such a way that players actually hit less often. D&DN gives smaller attack bonus progression, but the monster defenses are kept within a very narrow range. Consequently it's closer to 3e where certain characters slowly get more and more accurate.
Sign In to post comments