Nero-looking Runepriest

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
So here is the idea:

A fist and sword fighter that will use runes to buff and heal. I know that Nero will be more like Warlock, but I really want that "rune" stuff. Also, Ill be taking Leader role, and I guess healing in priority over striking, though I can be wrong.

The build changed from ranger|runeprist to Hybrid Fighter|Runepriest, MC Cleric, Warpriest PP with Longsword and Spiked Gauntlet. Now it has some control options with grab, much higher AC and hit-after-dodge WIS-based dmg.

Updated Build, so for now its lvl 1 looks like this:
Level 1
====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Rune, level 1
Human, Runepriest|Fighter
Hybrid Talent: Fighter Combat Talent
Fighter Combat Talent: Brawler Style (Hybrid)
Runic Artistry: Defiant Word
Human Power Selection: Bonus At-Will Power

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 18, Con 11, Dex 13, Int 10, Wis 16, Cha 8.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 16, Con 11, Dex 13, Int 10, Wis 16, Cha 8.

AC: 19
Fort: 18
Reflex: 13
Will: 15
HP: 24 Surges: 8 Surge Value: 6

TRAINED SKILLS
Heal +8, Endurance +5, Athletics +9, Arcana +5

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +3, Bluff -1, Diplomacy -1, Dungeoneering +3, History, Insight +3, Intimidate -1, Nature +3, Perception +3, Religion, Stealth +1, Streetwise -1, Thievery +1

FEATS
Human: Hybrid Talent - Brawler Style
Level 1: Brawler Guard

POWERS
Bonus At-Will Power: Grappling Strike
Hybrid at-will 1: Word of Exchange
Hybrid at-will 1: Slash and Pummel
Hybrid encounter 1: Flames of Purity
Hybrid daily 1: Rune of Endless Fire

ITEMS
Scale Armor, Spiked gauntlet, Longsword
====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

level11
====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Rune, level 11
Human, Runepriest|Fighter, Warpriest Paragon Path
Hybrid Talent: Fighter Combat Talent
Fighter Combat Talent: Brawler Style (Hybrid)
Runic Artistry: Defiant Word
Versatile Expertise: Versatile Expertise (Heavy Blade)
Versatile Expertise: Versatile Expertise (Unarmed)
Human Power Selection: Bonus At-Will Power

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 21, Con 12, Dex 14, Int 11, Wis 19, Cha 9.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 16, Con 11, Dex 13, Int 10, Wis 16, Cha 8.

AC: 25 Fort: 24 Reflex: 19 Will: 21
HP: 75 Surges: 9 Surge Value: 18

TRAINED SKILLS
Heal +14, Endurance +11, Athletics +15, Arcana +10, Religion +10

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +7, Bluff +4, Diplomacy +4, Dungeoneering +9, History +5, Insight +9, Intimidate +4, Nature +9, Perception +9, Stealth +7, Streetwise +4, Thievery +7

FEATS
Human: Hybrid Talent
Level 1: Brawler Guard
Level 2: Initiate of the Faith
Level 4: Novice Power
Level 6: Versatile Expertise
Level 8: Focused Superiority
Level 10: Inescapable Hold
Level 11: Marked Scourge

POWERS
Bonus At-Will Power: Grappling Strike
Hybrid at-will 1: Slash and Pummel
Hybrid at-will 1: Word of Exchange
Hybrid encounter 1: Flames of Purity
Hybrid daily 1: Rune of Endless Fire
Hybrid utility 2: Shield of Sacrifice
Hybrid encounter 3: Slamming Rush (retrained to Some clearic`s healing power at Level 5)
Hybrid daily 5: Bare-Knuckled Rebuke
Hybrid utility 6: Unbalancing Dodge
Hybrid encounter 7: Symbol of Cowardice
Hybrid daily 9: Rune of Boundless Fury
Hybrid utility 10: Banner of Resolution

ITEMS
Scale Armor, Spiked gauntlet, Longsword
====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

Critic please
The spiked gauntlet will be basically useless.

This is what reflavouring is for.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
Also, as a front line character never ever go anywhere with an AC like that. I will almost never suggest this, so talk to your DM, but MC cleric for Healer's lore and swap it for Battle Cleric's Lore or Hybrid Talent Serene Runepriest.
Also, as a front line character never ever go anywhere with an AC like that. I will almost never suggest this, so talk to your DM, but MC cleric for Healer's lore and swap it for Battle Cleric's Lore or Hybrid Talent Serene Runepriest.

You don't need hybrid talent for serene.  You just pick it (making runepriest one of the top hybrids). 

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

You don't need hybrid talent for serene.  You just pick it (making runepriest one of the top hybrids). 

You're right. I was reading it after the Hybrid features section and not the Hybrid Talent options.

So you could if still MC for the Extra heal if needed and Holy Symbols and get yourself a Fighting Shield (if that works) or Rhythm Blade Spiked Shield for your off-hand weapon and take Devout Protector Expertise. Better options for sure but just throwing out options to look at.
I think you're on the right track with a hybrid, but Ranger probably isn't the direction you should go.

Cleric will give you an AC patch and let you use a big weapon.

Warlord will give you enabling goodness and let you be a striker without tanking everything else like Ranger kind of does for you.

Fighter will give you access to decent armor and Brawler powers if you're really set on actually making unarmed attacks along with your sword.

I'd probably go with Warlord if you're going to be the only leader. Runepriest doesn't have a lot of healing early on. You'll still need some AC help, maybe from Armored Warlord.
You don't need a AC patch.  Serene gives you Wis to AC.  So Str/Wis in light armor work fine.

Not that ranger's like big swords.  So i suggest runepriest|avenger.  Or if you really want to make use of the free hand, go brawlwer. 

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

Eh, it's still just a 16 AC in hide with +3 WIS (he's human) and no shield. Not quite where I'd want to be as a front-line leader, temps or no temps.
While the above posters are right that as a runepriest, a serene blade runepriest, you do want that single big two handed weapon, I think scatterbrained is wrong in saying that with the AC it is not viable in melee.

Not that I would suggest going human, I prefer to have 2 stat boosts, but AC 16 in melee, getting 3 THP every round you get hit, should keep you upright, not using your own healing, through most encounters. Just make sure your allies know you're handing out a bonus to hit whomever is adjacent to you, and explain the benefit the team reaps from focus fire.  
You could always MC for Battle Cleric's Lore, if your DM allows. I don't know if there would be a better MC?
Fighter|Serene Rune Priest/(Battle)Cleric with a Fullblade. You can hybrid talent for something useful other than AC and get the Shield Bonus to AC while wielding a 2-hander. Also grants access to Holy symbols and Tactical Warpriest, for what it's worth. 
Human's extra feat and bonus to NADs is just gravy while going 18/16/13(STR/WIS/DEX) 
I suppose things can differ by DM, but I've known several DMs who consider leaders to be priority targets. And depending on the rest of your party (I usually assume low/no op unless otherwise stated), if you go down the party may have no other methods of recovery. It's worth noting that a Runepriest|Ranger isn't going to have great hp progression and it's not going to have the surges to make it through many encounters if it's just going to rely on soaking damage.

I should also add that I'm considering the whole run to level 10. 3-4 temps is huge at level 1, but not nearly as good at level 9-10. This is where its nice to have to option of picking up some better defenses.

I'm just saying any of the three hybrids I suggested can easily get better AC if they need it. Cleric gets it for free and the other two spend one feat. They have better survivability than the Ranger hybrid, and can actually be leaders instead of a watered-down ranger with minimal leading ability.
I'll go out on a limb and suggest a Swordmage or some combo there of. Re flavor as needed.

Behind_Her_Blue_Flame:_A_WarlockWarlordFlame_of_HopeWarmaster 
Well I remade it as fighter(brawler)|runepriest for more AC and unarmed attacks. Also now it has some controlls. Still it will be MC Cleric.

Any suggestions how to buff up DPR for brawler? - Does Knockdown+Headsman chop will work?

Dual Strike vs Slash and Pummel - which one to choose? - I think SnP better since it cover Ref saves and always deals avrage dmg for gauntlet without actually having it... does it mean that this attack doesnt get any bonuses from Enchanted gauntlet?

And does Redcoak stack with Brawler Guard for AC and ref bonus?
Unfortunately brawlers are probably the worst of all fighter builds in terms of damage. I suppose you can use Headman's Chop in conjunction with pin down and other things, but that's a lot of feat investment for not a huge return. And I would not use Knockdown Assault if the goal is to do damage.

I'm not sure what you mean by Redcoak, but you can tell if bonuses stack by their type. You can only benefit from one shield bonus, power bonus, etc. at a time. If it's an untyped bonus it stacks with anything. Brawler Guard is a shield bonus, and the Brawler style bonus (that you need to spend Hybrid Talent for) is untyped.

The benefit of Dual Strike is that it lets you mark two targets. As for Slash and Pummel, having a magic spiked gauntlet will help the second attack be more accurate (unless you take Brawler Style, in which case you will have an automatic enhancement bonus), but won't add damage to it.
Red Cloak Student - lesser style feat (MP 2)
Awwwww... lol, it has its assosiated powers... so throwing it away

Also, got Slash and Pummel instead of Knockdown
Ah, Red Cloak is an untyped bonus so it stacks with anything. Except itself I guess, if you used an AP to do it twice in one turn.
Updated the first post with 1st and 11 lvl suggesion.
Sign In to post comments