What Happens if Your Race and Background Give You the Same Skill?

Let's say I'm an Elf and I choose the Thug background. Both my race and my background give training in the Spot skill. What happens? Do I get to pick a different skill, or is it wasted?
I've never seen the Backgrounds as set in stone, so I always allow players to switch out their Background skills if that happens. Otherwise it would be very difficult to make an Elf Rogue with ten skills.

Also another reason I support skill points over skill dice, in the old system you could rule this as a bonus to the doubled skill instead.
Let's say I'm an Elf and I choose the Thug background. Both my race and my background give training in the Spot skill. What happens? Do I get to pick a different skill, or is it wasted?

You just select another one.

The Background section that explained this was removed when skill die was introduced:   (121712 Background pg. 01)

Training: If your character already has training in a skill and gains training in that skill again (for example, a skill granted by both the character’s class and background), you instead choose a different skill in which your character becomes trained.

You just select another one.

The Background section that explained this was removed when skill die was introduced:   (121712 Background pg. 01)

Training: If your character already has training in a skill and gains training in that skill again (for example, a skill granted by both the character’s class and background), you instead choose a different skill in which your character becomes trained.

That line isn't really necessary anymore since you can always just create a 'custom background' by picking a trait and any four skills - you just choose the trait and most of the skills from the background you wanted - and don't pick the redundant skill.

But it is technically, an issue if you get skills from Class and Race and they overlap - the only hard overlap I can think of Thief Scheme and Elven Keen Senses - both have Listen. 

In this case - I'd still allow the character to just choose a new skill (although it would not be inappropriate for the DM to have a say in what the skill is, if he wished).

Carl

As others have mentioned, I believe the rule of thumb is to allow the player to select a different skill for each overlap that occurs, no matter the sources.

As others have mentioned, I believe the rule of thumb is to allow the player to select a different skill for each overlap that occurs, no matter the sources.

The only issue is:

This is a playtest.

There was a rule which stated that this was the way overlaps should be handled.

This rule was removed.

The fact that we all agree that this is how it should be handled is all well and good.  But this is a common enough occurance that the rules need to account for it - so they need to either put the rule back in or clarify what is supposed to happen.

(Aside:  I also wouldn't mind a rule that said you had "Spotx2) or some such - meaning that you were exceptionally well trained in spot - and got to roll two skill dice and keep the better die.  I'm quite sure that isn't what they intend.  But it has its appeal).

Carl              
Why do they keep removing functional rules and not putting anything in their place?
Why do they keep removing functional rules and not putting anything in their place?

Good question! It's possible it was an editing error.
I suspect they thought it was redundant since you can always customize the background and they missed the Listen overlap.

Carl
I suspect they thought it was redundant since you can always customize the background and they missed the Listen overlap.

Thugs also get Spot, which also overlaps with Elves.
Table Rule: If you are taking a skill twice because of class/background combinations, you are allowed to roll two skill die while performing your skill check.

Thugs also get Spot, which also overlaps with Elves.

Thug is a background and you can explicitely choose your skills for backgrounds and thus you can always get around Thut/ Spot.

Carl
Sign In to post comments