Priority

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
So here's a senario:

I'm at two life and tapped out. I have a Dramatic Rescue in my hand and a Hussar Patrol on the board.

My opponent plays Stab Wound on my Patrol.

Now the turn phase should go:Untap, Upkeep, Draw...so do I have priority at any point before Stab Wound's ability would go on the stack?

Would I be able to get my two life from Rescue to live?

Would I be completely dead if in the same senario the card in my hand is Unsummon?
bulletd Guidelines: 5.0: I will take this card no matter what. Creature 1 or playable 1 or hate 1.Archangel of Thune 4.5: Bomb and splashable. Creature 1-2, playable 1-2, removal 1. Jace, Memory Adept 4.0: Excellent first pick first pack, will sway me into same colors. Creatures 1-4, removal 1. Haunted Plate Mail 3.5: Excellent first pack pick two, will confirm colors or possibly sway into second color. Doom Blade 3.0: Good in-color addition, or splashable removal/creature. Creatures 3-9, removal 1-3. wall of Frost 2.5: Solid pick in-color; creatures 5-12, removal 3-5. Dark Favor 2.0: Creatures 10-16; removal 6-7. Elvish Mystic 1.5: My 23rd or 22nd card, depending on removal. Act of Treason 1.0: 23rd card if I don't maindeck an additional land. Lay of the Land 0.5: This card will sometimes be sideboarded in. Brave the Elements 0.0: I will shred this card for counters. Darksteel Forge
do I have priority at any point before Stab Wound's ability would go on the stack?

No.

Would I be able to get my two life from Rescue to live?

Yes, while Wound's ability is on the stack.

Would I be completely dead if in the same senario the card in my hand is Unsummon?

Yes.

Wizards of the Coast: NOT ANYMORE outsourced to Elbonia

You can respond to Stab Wound's trigger, yes. So Dramatic Rescue can save you (you'll be at 2 life). Unsummon however cannot as you still lose the life from the Wound's trigger even if it has left the field.
You can respond to Stab Wound's trigger, yes. So Dramatic Rescue can save you (you'll be at 2 life). Unsummon however cannot as you still lose the life from the Wound's trigger even if it has left the field.

Why can't I have priority at the end of the untap phase? Or during the upkeep phase while the stack is still empty?

bulletd Guidelines: 5.0: I will take this card no matter what. Creature 1 or playable 1 or hate 1.Archangel of Thune 4.5: Bomb and splashable. Creature 1-2, playable 1-2, removal 1. Jace, Memory Adept 4.0: Excellent first pick first pack, will sway me into same colors. Creatures 1-4, removal 1. Haunted Plate Mail 3.5: Excellent first pack pick two, will confirm colors or possibly sway into second color. Doom Blade 3.0: Good in-color addition, or splashable removal/creature. Creatures 3-9, removal 1-3. wall of Frost 2.5: Solid pick in-color; creatures 5-12, removal 3-5. Dark Favor 2.0: Creatures 10-16; removal 6-7. Elvish Mystic 1.5: My 23rd or 22nd card, depending on removal. Act of Treason 1.0: 23rd card if I don't maindeck an additional land. Lay of the Land 0.5: This card will sometimes be sideboarded in. Brave the Elements 0.0: I will shred this card for counters. Darksteel Forge
1. Because no players receive priority at any point during the untap step.

502.3. No player receives priority during the untap step, so no spells can be cast or resolve and no
abilities can be activated or resolve. Any ability that triggers during this step will be held until the
next time a player would receive priority, which is usually during the upkeep step. (See rule 503,
"Upkeep Step.")

2. Because no player receives priority until after any applicable triggered abilities go on the stack at the beginning of the upkeep step.

503.1. First, any abilities that trigger at the beginning of the upkeep step and any abilities that triggered
during the turn’s untap step go on the stack. (See rule 603, "Handling Triggered Abilities.")
503.2. Second, the active player gets priority. Players may cast spells and activate abilities.

Why can't I have priority at the end of the untap phase? Or during the upkeep phase while the stack is still empty?

because that's what the rules say

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013  - If you have any concerns with my conduct as a judge, feel free to submit feedback here.
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

Note that if you were on 1 life and had 3 Stab Wound on a creature, you would not be able to save yourself with a single Dramatic Rescue.

Your upkeep would begin, all three triggers would go on the stack, and even if you used Dramatic Rescue in response to gain 2 life and return the creature to your hand, those triggers would still resolve independantly of their sources (so the fact that the Stab Wounds will be sent to the graveyard wont matter). You would go up to 3 life, then down to 2, down to 1 and then down to 0, and lose the game.

~ Tim 
I am Blue/White Reached DCI Rating 1800 on 28/10/11. :D
Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
Not bad. But what happens flavor wise when one kamahl kills the other one?
Zis iz a sign uf deep psychological troma, buried in zer subconscious mind. By keelink himzelf, Kamahl iz physically expressink hiz feelinks uf self-disgust ova hiz desire for hiz muzzer. [/GermanPsychologistVoice]
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
That makes no sense to me. If they spelled the ability out on the card in full then it would not be allowed in a mono-black Commander deck, but because they used a keyword to save space it is allowed? ~ Tim
Yup, just like you can have Birds of paradise in a mono green deck but not Noble Hierarch. YAY COLOR IDENTITY
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Is algebra really that difficult?
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
You want to make a milky drink. You squeeze a cow.
I love this description. Like the cows are sponges filled with milk. I can see it all Nick Parks claymation-style with the cow's eyes bugging out momentarily as a giant farmer squeezes it like a squeaky dog toy, and milk shoots out of it.
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
And no judge will ever give you a game loss for playing snow covered lands.
I now have a new goal in life. ;)
actually, the player would lose with the third trigger still waiting on the stack (each Stab Wound trigger causes two life loss)

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013  - If you have any concerns with my conduct as a judge, feel free to submit feedback here.
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

actually, the player would lose with the third trigger still waiting on the stack (each Stab Wound trigger causes two life loss)

Oops. My mistake. Thought it was 1 life. What was I thinking of? That new Orzhov aura?

~ Tim 
Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
Zis iz a sign uf deep psychological troma, buried in zer subconscious mind. By keelink himzelf, Kamahl iz physically expressink hiz feelinks uf self-disgust ova hiz desire for hiz muzzer. [/GermanPsychologistVoice]
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
That makes no sense to me. If they spelled the ability out on the card in full then it would not be allowed in a mono-black Commander deck, but because they used a keyword to save space it is allowed? ~ Tim
Yup, just like you can have Birds of paradise in a mono green deck but not Noble Hierarch. YAY COLOR IDENTITY
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
I love this description. Like the cows are sponges filled with milk. I can see it all Nick Parks claymation-style with the cow's eyes bugging out momentarily as a giant farmer squeezes it like a squeaky dog toy, and milk shoots out of it.
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
One Thousand Lashes.

That's coincidentally what you'll receive as punishment for your mistake!  :-p   
One Thousand Lashes.

That's coincidentally what you'll receive as punishment for your mistake!  :-p   

As long as you wear the thrull mask. ;)

~ Tim   

Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
Sign In to post comments