A Question about Lifelink

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
OK, so...

If I control a Brion Stoutarm and I sacrifice, say, a Hellkite Igniter to his ability, would his lifelink trigger, or does that only trigger on combat damage?

Thanks in advance~!
Lifelink is not a triggered ability. It applies to all damage at the same time the damage is dealt. You gain life equal to the damage the Stroutarm deals with his ability.
Lifelink is not a triggered ability. It applies to all damage at the same time the damage is dealt. You gain life equal to the damage the Stroutarm deals.

So I'd gain life from Brion's sac ability? Cool~! Thanks~!
so If have 3 life, I control a 2/2 creature with sole link attached to it and block an attacking 5/3 creature with trample would I live or die and why?
sorry meant soul link
no

if it was Lifelink you will live, but not with Spirit Link or similar
proud member of the 2011 community team
You lose the game.

The 5/3 creature assigns 2 damage to your 2/2, and 3 damage to you. This damage is dealt, and has its effects, marking 2 damage on your 2/2, and causing you to lose 3 life. Soul link's ability triggers at this time, but does nothing yet. Next, the game checks state-based actions and sees that two things need to happen: your creature has lethal damaage marked on it and needs to be destroyed, and you have 0 life and need to lose the game. Both of these happen simultaneously, and the game ends.

If the game had continued, the next thing to happen would be soul link's ability going on the stack. After that, each player would get a chance to respond, and only when both players choose not to respond would the ability resolve, gaining you the life.
so If have 3 life, I control a 2/2 creature with soul link attached to it and block an attacking 5/3 creature with trample would I live or die and why?

you would die because right after the damage is assigned and dealt, State Based Actions see a player at 0 life and cause them to lose.
704.5a If a player has 0 or less life, he or she loses the game.

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013  - If you have any concerns with my conduct as a judge, feel free to submit feedback here.
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

so if the enchament specifically said,"The enchanted creature has lifelink." I would live. Are they going to change any of the wording on these older cards, have they already, or are we to look for the specific word lifelink and everything else is a triggered or activated ability?
the only card that is printed with the triggered ability but actually grants lifelink is Loxodon Warhammer
all other cards do what they say
proud member of the 2011 community team
so if the enchament specifically said,"The enchanted creature has lifelink." I would live. Are they going to change any of the wording on these older cards, have they already, or are we to look for the specific word lifelink and everything else is a triggered or activated ability?

They are not going to change the wording on the older cards because they don't want to change how they work. Only the word "lifelink" indicates actual lifelink; all the other similar variants on old cards are triggered abilities.

The only old card that received errata to change it to lifelink is Loxodon Warhammer, for reasons complex enough I don't really want to get into them here.

Come join me at No Goblins Allowed

Because frankly, being here depresses me these days.

The case of Loxodon Warhammer isn't that complicated, really. It was originally printed with the old "lifelink" ability. When the lifelink keyword was initially created, it was identical to the triggered version. Between the introduction of lifelink as a keyword and the change to its functionality, Loxodon Warhammer was reprinted. When lifelink was changed, it became functionally different from the old triggered version. Any card whose most recent printing had the triggered version kept that functionality and lost the lifelink keyword. Since Loxodon Warhammer's most recent printing had the lifelink keyword, it got to keep lifelink.
Rules Advisor
The most obvious difference is that you can put Soul Link on an opponent's creature and you will gain the life whenever his creature deals damage. Changing the text to lifelink would alter this functionality quite significantly.
Sign In to post comments