Rhox Faithmender stacks

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
So lets say I have two Rhox Faithmenders on the field and i cast Heroes' reunion. Will I gain 21 life points (assuming the effect of Rhox happens at the same time.) or will I gain 28 life points (assuming that the effect of one rhox triggers the second rhoc to grant twice the amount that the first would have increased it by.)?
So lets say I have two Rhox Faithmenders on the field and i cast Heroes' reunion. Will I gain 21 life points (assuming the effect of Rhox happens at the same time.) or will I gain 28 life points (assuming that the effect of one rhox triggers the second rhoc to grant twice the amount that the first would have increased it by.)?

It's doubled twice, so you get 28.

so if I had three of them i would get 56?
Yes, you'll get 56
More precisely, when you cast the lifegain spell, both triggers from each mender trigger, and go onto the stack.  The actual spell would be on the bottom (assuming no one has a responce to your spell) then each of the triggers from the menders would resolve, and when the actual spell resolves, the original 7 would be doubled by the first ability to 14, then doubled by the second ability to 28.

Abilities/spells/effects don't resolve at the same exact time....they stack.  If you are the owner of the abilities, you can choose the order you put them on the stack in....but it still resolves in reverse order they are put on.  
Rhox Faithmender DOES NOT HAVE A TRIGGERED ABILITY. His (second) ability is a static ability creating a replacement effect during a lifegain event. Not the key words "If" and "Instead", it denotes a replacement effect.

Heroes' Reunion resolves and want to make you gain 7 life.
First Faithmender comes in, because he wants to replace that lifegain event, and says "Nay! You be gaining double that: you gain 14 life!".
Second Faithmender comes in, because he wants to replace that lifegain event, and says "Nay! You be gaining double that: you gain 28 life!".

It "stacks" because the faithmender's (second static) ability replaces a lifegain event but with another lifegain event. If it replaced it with, like, card drawing, the second faithmender wouldn't be able to apply its replacement effect too, because the event is now card drawing, and not lifegain.

Rules Advisor

The Basic rulebook, read it! A lot of basic questions are answered there!

How to autocard :
Type [c]Black Lotus[/c] to get Black Lotus.
Type [c=Black Lotus]The Overpowered One[/c] to get The Overpowered One.

More precisely, when you cast the lifegain spell, both triggers from each mender trigger, and go onto the stack.

no, this is incorrect
The Menders have static abilities that replace the event of lifegain
The actual spell would be on the bottom (assuming no one has a responce to your spell) then each of the triggers from the menders would resolve, and when the actual spell resolves, the original 7 would be doubled by the first ability to 14, then doubled by the second ability to 28.

even assuming you were correct that they were triggers, the triggers wouldn't occur until after the spell resolves and then they would go on the stack, they wouldn't trigger prior to the life gain event
Abilities/spells/effects don't resolve at the same exact time....they stack.

effects don't resolve at all 
If you are the owner of the abilities, you can choose the order you put them on the stack in....but it still resolves in reverse order they are put on.  

actually, it's the controller of a triggered ability that puts it on the stack, but as mentioned the Menders don't have any triggered abilities.
Triggered abilities use When/Whenever/At.

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013  - If you have any concerns with my conduct as a judge, feel free to submit feedback here.
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

Sign In to post comments